SureFly Troubles

RussellJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RussellJ
The guy in the hangar across from mine has a SureFly electronic ignition on his Cherokee Six 260. It ran great for about a two years then the map sensor failed. We sent it back to SureFly and they sent us a freshly overhauled unit at no charge claiming the module should not have failed so they covered it under warranty. SureFly has a 2 year warranty and his was 2 1/2 years old when we discovered the problem. They are great guys to work with! Anyway, the newly overhauled unit failed after just 10 hours. It happened after takeoff climbing through 4000’. It ran really rough for a few minutes and then died. Back on the ground he found the fuse to the SureFly was blown. A mechanic at the field changed the fuse and it ran fine. The mechanic called the SureFly guys to get some help troubleshooting and they shipped out a new unit right away. This new one has about 5 hours or so on it and is working okay so far but, after 2 strikes the pilot is a bit nervous.
Anyone else have experience with these ignition systems? I assume they are reliable since Lycoming has made them standard on their new production engines.

I had one in my IO550 powered Velocity. One of the first units. Ran fine, never a problem (other than my tach didn't play with well with it). Probably got 200 hours on it now.

The majority of Surefly problems are from not following the directions for wiring the power lead. There are specific reasons for why they want it wired the way they spec. To many people including A&P’s wire it to the most convenient unswitched source.

The majority of Surefly problems are from not following the directions for wiring the power lead. There are specific reasons for why they want it wired the way they spec. To many people including A&P’s wire it to the most convenient unswitched source.
I believe his is wired directly to the hot side of the battery master solenoid, I'd have to check to be sure. One thing the owner mentioned was it failed not long after turning on his Whelen Strobe. He has the old fashioned strobe with a power supply and flash tube. Maybe the SureFly was picking up some voltage fluctuations?

So you know this because you are employed at Surefly?

I know it because I have a Surefly on my aircraft that had issues. I spent hours on the phone with them and they sent me a brand new unit. Their people are top notch and will do everything possible to assist. Clean power to the unit has been their biggest problem especially with the 24 volt models.

When this is all done, I hope I can say the same about their service. So far, it’s been a little sketchy.
WhenI had problems at first, I asked the tech, why my unit had been returned in the first place. He said he didn’t know but would check. Next day same question, answer was “these units are thoroughly tested, before we send them out. Next day, in email string, same question, same evasive answer “they are tested and meet specs as new”.
When someone avoids a direct answer to a fair question, I get suspicious. Still willing to give them benefit of doubt, for a while.

BTW, mine is 12v system, and we never even got to mounting it. It failed the pre-mount test and another the tech rep on the phone asked us to do.

Got an email yesterday with a video of them testing the unit, but not the test that failed. Will ask again.

My mechanic said he might not install that same unit if they send it back.

BTW, someone who knows the regs better might know the answer; Aren’t rebuilt appliances supposed to come with an 8130?

Last edited:
Aren’t rebuilt appliances supposed to come with an 8130?
FYI: No. The 8130-3 is merely one method to record certain Part 21 products/articles. Not all vendors are required or able to issue an 8130-3 as it has specific requirements to issue and in some cases a number of vendors will charge extra to issue a 8130-3.

Back