Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
From CPA today...

------

COME TO THE CAPITAL TO SUPPORT
SEAPLANES AND GENERAL AVIATION!

The Transportation Committee will be holding a hearing on HB 16-1315,

A BILL FOR AN ACT CONCERNING AN AUTHORIZATION FOR SEAPLANES TO OPERATE WHERE MOTORBOATS MAY BE OPERATED.

Date: Thursday, March 23, 2016, 10:00 a.m.
Room 0112 -- Adjacent to the elevators
Subject: Hearing on HB 16-1315

Ray Hawkins
Seaplane Pilots Association, Field Director, Colorado
http://www.seaplanes.org
Colorado Pilots Association, Seaplane Liaison
http://coloradopilots.org
303/342-1537 (w)
303/710-2497 (c)

from the document that accompanied the above announcement ...

"As many of you know, Colorado is the only State that does not allow seaplanes on state-controlled waterways. We now have the opportunity to change this! HB 16-1315 provides equal and fair access to seaplanes. In essence, the bill prohibits waterway management from denying access to seaplanes if the waterway allows power boating."

Oooh I have spring break then. I might actually go. How long will it take and how boring will it be? :)

if it's like the other public hearings and other meetings centered around this topic (I've not attended any, but what I've heard) ... could be really short and ends with a "NO" from the powers that be ... with no explanation.

Latest email update says
UPDATE:

The date of the Colorado House Transportation Committee hearing, concerning HB 16-1315, is THURSDAY, MARCH 24, 2016. It is tentatively scheduled to be held in ROOM 271. It is best to be present at 10:00 a.m. although the meeting may begin closer to 10:30 a.m."

I had an Amphib Seaplane in Colorado that I took up to Canada every summer. They were considering allowing landing on Pueblo Reservoir and maybe John Martin. Due to the high altitude, there is some concern about being able to get back in the air for more than just a few Seaplanes. It can be done by some. Others will have trouble.

One thing about seaplane landing on a lake. Non pilots and even some pilots tend to think there should be "landing lanes". If you look how other lakes manage it, there aren't. Seaplanes just land on the lake at a spot into the wind and where there is no current boat traffic. ITs much the same as piloting a boat. Just pick the available empty water for your craft to be on so you dont conflict with anyone. So dont let pilots start advocationg for marked sea lanes or such nonsense. Not the way its done.

No, thats someones turbine Beaver. There are a few amphibs in Colorado believe it or not.

No, thats someones turbine Beaver. There are a few amphibs in Colorado believe it or not.

Oh, man, I would love to fly in a Beaver on floats... I don't see the Transportation Committee relenting on seaplane use in Colorado for GA. I mean, yeah, weed is legal and you don't have to wear a helmet to ride a motorcycle, but let's not allow airplanes to land on public waterways. Drunk jet-skiers and boaters are fine, but airplanes? What's next, toll roads built with public money yet owned by foreign corporations?

Oh, man, I would love to fly in a Beaver on floats... I don't see the Transportation Committee relenting on seaplane use in Colorado for GA. I mean, yeah, weed is legal and you don't have to wear a helmet to ride a motorcycle, but let's not allow airplanes to land on public waterways. Drunk jet-skiers and boaters are fine, but airplanes? What's next, toll roads built with public money yet owned by foreign corporations?

I LOLd.

Well said!

no, as Nate noted above, there was a polished up 185 amphib at Erie a number of years ago

That thing was pretty. Judging by the sound of the prop tips it didn't have the original engine in it, either. It was loud, and I loved seeing it.

Back