Support Pilots of America when you take out your next loan!

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Pilots of America can help you get a 3 year, unsecured loan of up to $25,000.

The Pilots of America group on Prosper.com is here to help you meet your financing needs. If you're looking to borrow money for flight training, for needed maintenance on your aircraft, or to further your pursuit of aviation in any other way, the PoA group may be able to assist you.

Pilots of America members can also help you *and earn interest while doing so* by becoming Lenders on Prosper.com and agreeing to help fund your listing.

Fact Sheet

Description of Prosper

·Prosper is America’s first people-to-people lending marketplace
·Prosper is a platform where prospective borrowers and lenders can find one another
·Prosper was created to make consumer lending more financially and socially rewarding for everyone

Description of Groups and Group Leaders

·Groups on Prosper are critical to bringing people together for the common goal of borrowing at better rates
·Groups are self-defined and can be any collection of people with common interests or experiences
·Groups earn reputations according to their members’ repayment records
·Groups with successful repayment histories should attract more lenders offering lower rates
·Group Leaders are responsible for organizing their groups and maintaining new membership

Relationship between Groups and Prosper

·Borrowers and lenders do not have to be members of groups to participate on the Prosper platform
·Groups with successful repayment histories should attract more lenders offering lower rates

How Prosper works

·The platform will be intuitive to eBay users who understand the auction-style bidding on loan listings
·Instead of listing and bidding on items, people list and bid on loans using Prosper’s online auction platform
·People who desire a loan must create a loan listing with a description of their request, the amount they wish to borrow, and an interest rate they are willing to pay
·Prosper verifies the prospective borrower’s information and identity, and provides a credit history for lenders who are interested in bidding on the loan
·People who want to bid on loans set the minimum interest rate they are willing to earn and bid in increments of $50 to $25,000 on loan listings they select

Benefits for Lenders

·Lenders directly choose the loans they desire to make
·Lenders can tailor their lending strategies to minimize risk or maximize potential return, often finding rates of return higher than more traditional opportunities
·Lenders can choose to bid socially as well as for financial return through the Prosper platform

Benefits to Borrowers

·Borrowers across the credit spectrum can list for loans at Prosper and can often find interest rates below what they might obtain through credit card companies or as unsecured personal loans
·Borrowers can join groups to increase their possibility of finding lower rates

About the Pilots of America Group
  • All group proceeds go to support the Pilots of America website
  • Listing approval is required, and you will be expected to be able to verify information on your listing to the Group Leader
  • If you choose to apply to Pilots of America, you will be asked to supply supporting information concerning your listing. This information will be kept in strict confidence.
  • If your application is accepted, the Group Leader will provide an endorsement (a "vetting") of your listing and create a thread for your listing in the Prosper Review My Listing forum. You will be expected to answer any reasonable questions presented to you in that forum.
For more information about borrowing *or* lending on Prosper.com, visit the Prosper.com website, or ask in this thread. If you wish to join the Pilots of America group and pursue a loan, contact Chuck "Greebo" via PM. If you wish to support the Pilots of America group by lending money to like minded aviators, group membership is not required. Check out Prosper's help for lenders!

Let us help get you flying, so that you can keep landing at Pilots of America!

I'm signed up on Prosper, looking for a loan. It's not for aviation, should I still join the group?

I promote this idea whenever there is a question about finding money for flying.

I closed the Prosper Group. We had no loans so no loss, really.

There are quite a few reasons why.

The biggest is that over time, I've completely lost faith in Prosper Marketplace Inc's integrity and ethical values.

The overall concept is good but Prosper's management is... disheartening.

The biggest is that over time, I've completely lost faith in Prosper Marketplace Inc's integrity and ethical values.

Any chance you can elaborate? I was sceptical of prosper anyways, but I'm curious what made you finally decide.

Thanks, I'll remove that idea from my very small list of places to find some money.

there was an interesting article in USA Today this week about the whole online peer to peer loan thing. lots of different ideas out there about how it should work. Prosper is definitely the most open of them all.

Sorry to hear it. I have referred others to this thread in the past for loans.

You can find out more at http://www.prospers.org - tho for the real serious discussions, you need to register.

There are several issues I have. One I don't have that is a common beef among lenders is the ineffectiveness of their collections departments. That doesn't bother me because I went in knowing this was unsecured debt so I figure there will be deadbeats who won't pay back.

Issues I have:
- Lack of verification of borrowers. Prosper has been inconsistent in verifying borrowers information. There are multiple documented cases where lenders have determined that potential borrowers were misleading (or worse) that have been escalated to Prosper, and the reports were ignored. In some cases, Lenders who did the legwork were penalized.
- Constantly changing terms of service. Every time we blink, it seems, Prosper changes the TOS to make it easier and easier on them to fund loans and get money without concern for Lender issues. Most recently, they practically absolved themselves of any responsibility to verify borrower claims.
- Community lockdown. The "Peer-to-peer lending" forums were closed, shut down, destroyed, and replaced with a fully moderated pseudo forum that Prosper controls with iron gloves. 2+ years of history about prosper performance, issues/concerns, and discussions between lenders and borrowers are gone. Now if your post isn't a "rah-rah< Prosper is UBAR ROXXOR" post, it won't go through.
- Prosper has gone to war with lenders. Prospers.org - an open discussion, unofficial forum discussing Peer to Peer lending - represents > 1% of all lending money to go thru Prosper TO DATE. Prosper has just about gone to all out war on .org because we do not let Prosper look like they're all gumdrops and sugar canes. They've lied to users, implying that .org is a phishing site and isn't safe to visit, they've sent C&D letters to other sites that report on Prosper threatening or implying a threat of legal action (see http://www.prosperreport.com/), and generally gone super aggressive on the lenders who for the longest time were just trying to make Prosper better.

I warn you .org is not a nice place anymore. Used to be about 1/2 of us were pro-prosper and about 1/2 were angry with them over something or other.

These days its pretty much 100% angry at Prosper - nobody defends them anymore.

Back