SuperWalMart (humor)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
From e-mail:

I like the variety of food at Whole Foods; I do not like, however, having to climb over the herds of patchouli-drenched hippies, weed-smelling college cruisers, and the trust-fund freaks with stained scalps from bad dye jobs, just to shop there. That store attracts every stereotype imaginable, and they converge on it in their Volkswagons, Volvos and other annoying vehicles that are plastered with stickers like "Save the whales," "Hug a tree," "Paper products are evil," "No war for oil," "Fur is bad," "Share the road with bicyclists," blah, blah, blah.

If I had a store, all the bumper stickers in my lot would read things like "Whales are tasty," "Bicyclists = Roadkill," and "Your bumper sticker sucks."

Wait, I'm describing the parking lot of Super Wal-Mart.

I like Super Wal-Mart (heretofore known as SWM because I'm ridiculously lazy and don't want to type the full name each time) simply for being a melting pot of everything people have loved for years but were never able to get ALL AT ONCE. A sample grocery list to SWM might read something like this:
- tampons
- lightbulbs
- deer rifle and ammo
- beer
- camera film
- an entire outfit of camoflauge
- 6ft tall lawn Santa
- yarn and knitting needles
- fuzzy toilet seat cover
- flip flops
- fish food
- bananas
- diapers
- Prozac prescription
- eggs
- oil change
- underwear

And while you're there you can stroll over to the MacDonald's and get your cart monkeys, a.k.a. your children, some fries. You can also do your banking, have photos taken, and get your taxes done during tax season by some poor 'tard whose makeshift office, for the next couple of months, is located between the giant Dale Earnhardt, Jr. promotional beer cutout and the orange juice section.

But there are downsides. Just getting into the SWM is an ordeal in and of itself. You must deal with a variety of human challenges: Car Sharks -- the people who slowly cruise the lot aisles so it looks like they're tailing people (which they usually are) are fierce competitors for empty spots. You also have to keep an eye out for the people who are indecently large and stay that way due to their fear of parking any further from the store than the spot RIGHT AFTER the handicap spaces.

Some of the most dangerous people are the old ones. The people who are too old to go on living, or even care, so hey, why not HOP INTO A CAR AND DRIVE? Their heads stick no higher above the dash than the top of the steering column, but they putt around the lot anyway with a slow, but reckless, abandon. The only reason they all don't perish in ghastly accidents is because their lack of speed allows others to avoid certain death. Watching them try to fit their Lincolns in the handicapped spaces is like watching a toddler trying to force a square shape through a round hole. I've watched them come 'round the aisle the wrong way before, opposite to how the spots are angled, and hit cars trying to wedge themselves in. When they get out they're completely unaware that a group of people are now watching them with gaping mouths, saying, ¡§Holy S**t!¡¨.

Another dangerous type to beware of when maneuvering through the parking lot of SWM -- a skill equal only Anakin Skywalker's pod race in Episode I -- are the Receipt Checkers. These people suddenly stop -- right in the middle of the crosswalk INSTEAD OF BY THEIR CAR -- right in front of your moving car -- to look over their reciept.

There is also the Mother Duck type who has an overflowing cart and a gaggle of various-aged kids trailing her. Just when you think they've all passed and it's safe to go -- WAIT! There's ANOTHER kid, a straggler, who would have been taken out as prey in the animal world for lingering so far behind mama.

When you actually do get inside the SWM, you play chicken in the too-small aisles with other shoppers to see who will get out of the way first. If you have toddler cart monkeys with you, you get your legs continually kicked as you make your way down the aisles. If you have older kids with you and they are bored, they will try to see how many stupid things they can throw into the cart when you¡¦re not looking. I've discovered a box of denture adhesive, stool softener, a package of the big granny maxi pads just under the "adult underwear" classification, and more all in my cart at checkout. However, if you keep the cart away from the shelves so as to avoid this, you get exaggerated sighs and indignant HOW DARE YOU PROCREATE glares because you and your spawn are hogging the whole aisle.

I hold nothing against SWM, in fact, it's downright handy to be able to perform the "gatherer" aspect of my sex's job more efficently, and I like that I have the option of wheeling like mad over to McD's to shove fries in my kids' mouths when they start bickering.

Just pack properly for the checkout.

You will need bottled water and several changes of underwear for when you CRAP YOUR PANTS at how long the lines are. And under any circumstances, are you NOT to "experiment" and try the automated self-checkout with frazzled nerves and crabby kids. I found myself shouting "I did too! I ALREADY PUT IT IN THE BAG." at the cool female voice emanating from the machine which kept repeating "Please put the scanned item in the bag. Please put the scanned item in the bag. Please put the scanned item in the bag."

That's when you know it's time to leave Super Wal-Mart.

This is the one thing I remember: Cars can kill me, but I can cost car drivers money. Unclip foot, cleat to quarter panel, side street and fwoosh. It also helps to know (and ride bicycles) with the three most senior cops in town :yes:

Gotta keep practicing the cyclocross techniques...

Cheers,

-Andrew

N2212R said:
And under any circumstances, are you NOT to "experiment" and try the automated self-checkout with frazzled nerves and crabby kids. I found myself shouting "I did too! I ALREADY PUT IT IN THE BAG." at the cool female voice emanating from the machine which kept repeating "Please put the scanned item in the bag. Please put the scanned item in the bag. Please put the scanned item in the bag."
I HATE those things. They are tools of Satan! I've been a computer professional for 20+ years and as you stand there waiting for them to push a reset button the clerks look at you like you can't grok a cash register. After the last time when I tried to beat the thing to death I think I've figured out that the moronic thing is looking for the weight of the item to show up in the bag and since I toss it too hard, it insists I'm stealing something. I NEVER use self checkout now.

Last night when I left the parking lot I put the paper card in the exit gate. UNREADABLE. Ok, that happened before. Try again, and again. It's oriented the right way. I back up and go to the other gate. UNREADABLE. try and try. UNREADABLE. Press help. Wait "$%^&OUhhdfh help you?" "The card is unreadable." "%^&#H#VFTRPI please use the other lane" "I did use the other lane." "%^&* SIR! PLEASE TRY THE OTHER LANE." "I DID TRY THE OTHER LANE!!!!!!" Now the entire Chicago Loop has heard. "Please put the card on the top of the machine." The gate opens.

How about if they train the employees that when the systems fail the cure is not to make the customers jump through hoops to make the computer happy?

Last edited:
I refuse to use self checkouts at wal mart or grocery stores. I remember when they paid high school kids decent money to do that job, and plan to keep that going as long as i can. course i also remember when they bagged your groceries AND took them out to your car. last time i was grocery shopping i got those priveleges, ugh.

mikea said:
I HATE those things. They are tools of Satan! I've been a computer professional for 20+ years and as you stand there waiting for them to push a reset button the clerks look at you like you can't grok a cash register. After the last time when I tried to beat the thing to death I think I've figured out that the moronic thing is looking for the wieght of the item to show up in the bag and since I toss it too hard, it insists I'm stealing something. I NEVER use self checkout now.

What is bad is how slow the computer is, it should be faster than I am, but I am constantly much faster than the computer. What the hell is it, a Timex Sinclair 1000?

Recent experience does reveal better performance, mabye a software tuneup?

Still, I shouldn't be able to outscan a modern computer.

tonycondon said:
I remember when they paid high school kids decent money to do that job
$5 or $6 per hour if you are lucky....was decent money?

mike said:
I HATE those things. They are tools of Satan! I've been a computer professional for 20+ years and as you stand there waiting for them to push a reset button the clerks look at you like you can't grok a cash register. After the last time when I tried to beat the thing to death I think I've figured out that the moronic thing is looking for the wieght of the item to show up in the bag and since I toss it too hard, it insists I'm stealing something. I NEVER use self checkout now.
I'm pretty sure that they recently turned the scale off. It used to flash up a screen where you could press a big button to "Skip Bagging" it doesn't do this anymore. You can skip bagging and it doesn't throw it off. It also seems to not really care when something goes in the bag which leads me to beleive that it no longer knows what is in the bag or what isn't in the bag.

The secret to the self checkout is to press the button that says "Skip Bagging."

Makes it much easier.

jangell said:
$5 or $6 per hour if you are lucky....was decent money?

Hey, I worked McD all thru highscool at $3.35/hr, which was minimum wage then. That was in the ugly steel mill layoff era in Pittsburgh, and I was damned glad to land that...

SkyHog said:
The secret to the self checkout is to press the button that says "Skip Bagging."

Makes it much easier.
Cool! Didn't know that. That's the tip of the week!

Bill Jennings said:
Hey, I worked McD all thru highscool at $3.35/hr, which was minimum wage then. That was in the ugly steel mill layoff era in Pittsburgh, and I was damned glad to land that...

I couldn't have lived of $3.35 per hour. Or $5 per hour. Or $6 per hour in high school.

mikea said:

The last three Walmarts that I have been to no longer prompt you with Skip Bagging.. The scale has been turned off. Works very nice now.

mikea said:

Yeah, but it keeps track of that, if you do it too many times in a row, it cuts you off and puts up the "assistance needed" screen, and you wait for one of Wally's highly trained technically savy people to come help you out.

Just shoot me now.

5 or 6 bucks an hour is plenty for a high school kid who doesnt have to support his/her family.

Hell, I lived on $6/hr just after moving out of my parents house back when I was 18, right before moving to New Hampshire.

My money went to rent, beer and cigarettes. No flying back then.

SkyHog said:
Hell, I lived on $6/hr just after moving out of my parents house back when I was 18, right before moving to New Hampshire.

My money went to rent, beer and cigarettes. No flying back then.

Nick....did you not eat? I mean what did you do for food?

HPNFlyGirl said:
Nick....did you not eat? I mean what did you do for food?

Beer is food.

N2212R said:
From e-mail:

I like the variety of food at Whole Foods; I do not like, however, having to climb over the herds of patchouli-drenched hippies, weed-smelling college cruisers, and the trust-fund freaks with stained scalps from bad dye jobs, just to shop there. That store attracts every stereotype imaginable, and they converge on it in their Volkswagons, Volvos and other annoying vehicles that are plastered with stickers like "Save the whales," "Hug a tree," "Paper products are evil," "No war for oil," "Fur is bad," "Share the road with bicyclists," blah, blah, blah.

Your basically describing the Whole Foods in Highlands Ranch, CO, except for the hot moms that go in there to shop. Between Whole Foods and the Vitamin Cottage, which my wife also drags me into, I feel like I'm in Occcuped, communists territory with the doors being a kind of Check Point Charlie. I know the hippie help knows I'm conservative as the always give me nasty looks and try to get me to buy, organic, all natural, no hormone, no anti-biotic, free range chicken. I ask them where the over crowded, cramped raised, hormone and antibiotic laden, processed and chemically altered chicken is located. They leave in a huff, tossing there dreadlocks aside. I love it.

Anthony said:
I ask them where the over crowded, cramped raised, hormone and antibiotic laden, processed and chemically altered chicken is located. They leave in a huff, tossing there dreadlocks aside. I love it.

:rofl:

Anthony said:
Your basically describing the Whole Foods in Highlands Ranch, CO, except for the hot moms that go in there to shop. Between Whole Foods and the Vitamin Cottage, which my wife also drags me into, I feel like I'm in Occcuped, communists territory with the doors being a kind of Check Point Charlie. I know the hippie help knows I'm conservative as the always give me nasty looks and try to get me to buy, organic, all natural, no hormone, no anti-biotic, free range chicken. I ask them where the over crowded, cramped raised, hormone and antibiotic laden, processed and chemically altered chicken is located. They leave in a huff, tossing there dreadlocks aside. I love it.
I have a theory that they rate applying employees by number of earrings, tattoos and hair colors. Every customer suggestion on the bulletin board is, "Dude! What's with the PRICES?!"

that's like me and Starbucks ... after staring blankly at the Tall = small, Grande = medium and something else is large, and Latte is not coffee and all the other crap on the board, I asked (innocently enough, I thought)

"Don't you have real coffee? You know, like Folgers?"

The barrista did his best impression of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi "No coffee for you! Get out!!!"

Anthony said:

What I don't get is why the organically grown, hormone free, free-range stuff costs more. I mean- they aren't paying for hormones, fertilizer, or animal housing, right?:goofy:

Anthony said:
Beer is food.

The 2 most important events in all of history were
the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was
invented to get man to the beer.

gkainz said:
that's like me and Starbucks ... after staring blankly at the Tall = small, Grande = medium and something else is large, and Latte is not coffee and all the other crap on the board, I asked (innocently enough, I thought)

"Don't you have real coffee? You know, like Folgers?"

The barrista did his best impression of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi "No coffee for you! Get out!!!"

:goofy: It's Regular, Tall, Grande, and Vente. I asked my Italian barber if that made sense. Venti is 20 as in 20 ounces, but no Italian joint would ever have that mish-mosh of sizes. He also is surprised if he can get a decent expresso at anywhere not Italian. He says Starbucks is decent.

They do have coffees of the day which are coffees of whatever they're making. Usually a dark roast and a mild.

Latte is coffee. It's Expresso and milk, without the foam cap of a Cappuchino.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Latte is coffee.

I'd say a latte is "the reason I haven't been fired... yet."

It disgusts me to admit it, but I guess realizing I have a problem is the first step, right? Without my "quad venti latte" in the morning, I'm basically brain-dead until noon. Although I s'pose many would probably argue that four shots of espresso does nothing to cure my brain-deadness... :dunno:

jangell said:
I couldn't have lived of $3.35 per hour. Or $5 per hour. Or $6 per hour in high school.

Kids today! My first job out of college (as an engineer) paid just under $6 per hour. And my wife and I thought we were in great shape. A thousand dollars a month! Wow! $195/month rent, $60/month car payment. Gas was around 30 to 40 cents a gallon (and our Subaru got around 30 mpg). Ah, yes. The good old days. :D Of course, that was in 1975. :)

latte, expresso, bah!!!

Get 'yerself a chipped old blue enamel coffee pot, boil up the water and grounds on a campfire, toss in egg shells or a shot of cold water to settle the grounds and you got 'yerself some real eye-opener coffee ...

Cowboy up!

:)

Back