supervision?

Umm, that is what the reg says "and if the supervisor is readily available, in person". The "and" is important, this is not just another statement that he must be satisfied with the work.

I'm readily available on the phone in person, call me. My flunky will not answer my cell.

The reg..
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation. However, this paragraph does not authorize the performance of any inspection required by Part 91 or Part 125 of this chapter or any inspection performed after a major repair or alteration.

use the whole statement in context, and you will see the "AND" means they must be available for consolation.

As I see it:

Owner #1: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here."
A&P: " Don't touch anything, I'll be there on Monday and fix it"

Owner #2: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here."
A&P: " well go ahead and pull the cowling, and have the parts ready when I get
there on Mon."

Owner#3: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here. re-man from
Gibsons."
A&P: "Well Fix it then, and don't forget to check the valve to guide clearance.
I'll be there On Monday to sign th' logs. If you run into anything call me"

3 different owners, same problem, same A&P giving "in person supervision necessary...."

I think it's all up to the A&P and his/her assesment of the owners abilities.

As I see it:

Owner #1: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here."
A&P: " Don't touch anything, I'll be there on Monday and fix it"

Owner #2: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here."
A&P: " well go ahead and pull the cowling, and have the parts ready when I get
there on Mon."

Owner#3: "My airplane needs a new cylinder, I have the parts here. re-man from
Gibsons."
A&P: "Well Fix it then, and don't forget to check the valve to guide clearance.
I'll be there On Monday to sign th' logs. If you run into anything call me"

3 different owners, same problem, same A&P giving "in person supervision necessary...."

I think it's all up to the A&P and his/her assesment of the owners abilities.

You forgot the first obvious question.

"What would you like me to do about that?"

use the whole statement in context, and you will see the "AND" means they must be available for consolation.

Now that's customer service...

It varies per mechanic. Some guys want to be there for the entire thing. The mechanic really should be there in person to supervise the activities. I have plenty of smart customers that I trust and a few that I would not dare give a screwdriver to even in an emergency. It's the mechanic's ticket on the line not to mention your life as well. Don't forget your mechanic does this for a living and knows all sorts of hints and tricks to make your parts last longer as well as your wallet. At "shop rate", a small mistake on your part could add up really fast. In my humble opinion, the guys that build their own airplanes are usually pretty good with whatever they need done and the desk jocks that come out to the airplane in nice shoes and slacks are usually better off hiring a mechanic. Sometimes those little tidbits of info you hear from the mechanics pay off big time! Just ask the mooney drivers about replacing the shock absorbers and prop strikes... a little money can save you a ton!

As an A&P and some one who has trained other A&P's and worked with non A&P's, I will not let you work on an aircraft unsupervised until I've worked with you, hand in hand, for a period of time for me to become comfortable with your work. After that time, if you are not certificated, I will not let you work with out my presence in the hangar with the expectation that I will certify your work.

This doesn't mean I have to be working on the same thing that you are, but generally speaking anything you do I will look over and make sure you did it per the tech data and preformed the work up to a level of quality that I'm comfortable with.

Back