Supervision of an Owner/operator-electronic

Tony_Scarpelli

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tony_Scarpelli
Ok we all are comfortable with owner/operator performing those preventive maintenance items, oil changes and such.

With supervision of a certified mechanic we can do whatever that mechanic is both certificated for and allows us to do with their supervision.

What constitutes supervision. Can it be electronic. Meaning can the mechanic supervise me from a location other than where the I/the work/the plane is?

Ok we all are comfortable with owner/operator performing those preventive maintenance items, oil changes and such.

With supervision of a certified mechanic we can do whatever that mechanic is both certificated for and allows us to do with their supervision.

What constitutes supervision. Can it be electronic. Meaning can the mechanic supervise me from a location other than where the I/the work/the plane is?
This is a subject that you won't really know the answer until the FAA slams the hammer down.

This is a subject that you won't really know the answer until the FAA slams the hammer down.

The director of WATC A&P school is a retired FAA top dog from the Wichita FSDO.

He said that the issue has already been tested at least once and found that you can use electronic supervision (photos, iphones, and such). I can't remember if the test case was in Alaska or Caribbean?

As you say one or two cases challenged and won is not a flood gate opened or closed. I just wondered if you heard any more about it?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "electronic" supervision. While the term does not mean that the mechanic has to be looking directly over your shoulder at all times - in the end, regardless of how this relationship is conducted, it is the mechanic who is signing the books. If it's not done right and something happens he's not going to get off the hook just because you emailed him some digital pictures.

Because that's all it is, the mechanic is vouching for the work. There isn't going to be an instance where the work was done properly and punitive action is being taken because the FAA has been spying on and monitoring the two of you and doesn't think the "supervision" was legal. We don't need to be THAT paranoid about the whole thing.

The director of WATC A&P school is a retired FAA top dog from the Wichita FSDO.

He said that the issue has already been tested at least once and found that you can use electronic supervision (photos, iphones, and such). I can't remember if the test case was in Alaska or Caribbean?

As you say one or two cases challenged and won is not a flood gate opened or closed. I just wondered if you heard any more about it?

I had not heard of the cases you speak of, but I do not believe there would be any actions by the FAA unless they were investigating an accident.

I agree with Tom and the others -- as long as you don't screw it up and nothing bad happens, to the FAA, it's a tree falling in an empty forest. The biggest problem with doing as the OP suggests is getting the supervising mechanic's signature in the logbook -- no flying until that is done.

I agree with Tom and the others -- as long as you don't screw it up and nothing bad happens, to the FAA, it's a tree falling in an empty forest. The biggest problem with doing as the OP suggests is getting the supervising mechanic's signature in the logbook -- no flying until that is done.

I can e-mail you anything you would like to see.

Not that I would.

The biggest problem here is finding a mechanic who would do this type of supervision.

It's whatever you both agree on. The FAA leaves it purposely vague; as with many issues, they are leaving you plenty of rope to hang yourself with but manage to get done what needs to be done. As long as there is no problem, the supervision is adequate. As soon as it goes wrong, then it is not.

The unasked question is, who would be willing to be supervised by a supervisor dumb enough to do it long distance?

The unasked question is, who would be willing to be supervised by a supervisor dumb enough to do it long distance?

Me, but usually it's just a call to get a sticker for some work I did. The person who signs off my work long distance though knows my work very well.

Back