Superveloce vs Darkaero

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Just remember that the book numbers and the actual numbers can be very different.

Highly doubtful they can go anywhere near that fast on 200HP. The Lancair Legacy is a similar size, pretty clean design and it takes them 350HP to hit that speed.

C.

I have my doubts, too. But until it flies, their numbers are all we have.

I have my doubts, too. But until it flies, their numbers are all we have.
We have physics as well in the meanwhile. The 2500'/min climb rate on even 200 hp (at 3300 rpm!) seems enthusiastic given the airfoil must be optimized for cruise flight. The power plant is claimed to weigh only 240 pounds which helps with the targeted 750 empty weight, which is incredibly low, given most two place fabric taildraggers weigh more than that.

Regardless, if they can deliver an aircraft that goes 200 ktas rather than 240 ktas with a range of 1200 nm rather than 1700 nm and climbs even at 1200'/min rather than 2500'/min suspect they'll have substantial demand.

The UL520 is already in use, so the 240lbs should be pretty accurate.

I think they're still finalizing the prototype. But they are far enough along to give a close approximate empty weight.

We have physics as well in the meanwhile. The 2500'/min climb rate on even 200 hp (at 3300 rpm!) seems enthusiastic given the airfoil must be optimized for cruise flight. The power plant is claimed to weigh only 240 pounds which helps with the targeted 750 empty weight, which is incredibly low, given most two place fabric taildraggers weigh more than that.

Regardless, if they can deliver an aircraft that goes 200 ktas rather than 240 ktas with a range of 1200 nm rather than 1700 nm and climbs even at 1200'/min rather than 2500'/min suspect they'll have substantial demand.

I think demand right now will be all about them making their predicted specs at a reasonable price point. If not, then they’ll be around Lancair territory and there’s still plenty of used 320s / 360s on the market that I’d imagine go for far less than this. Personally, I prefer the looks of the Lancair as well.

Also just like I said with the Raptor, not only did they not meet performance specs, I have no doubt Peter and the gang wouldn’t be able to manufacture any significant number of kits. So far Dark Aero has one prototype made over the last 4 years. How many kits per year can three guys make?

It's also why they're more likely to get far closer to their goals than the Raptor was ever going to.

Back