Supersonic ejection

twinjet

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
twinjet
Wow! Came across this today... I never really wanted to fly fighters before. Now I really don't want to!

We had the M7 in the F-4.
If you pulled the handle at 1+ mach you were dead.
We had a term for that: "Suicide"
Hell, if you pulled the handle at any speed the seat would more than likely kill you.

Sorry. I'm being too negative.
MB-M7 saved a lot of guys.
But if you didn't get it exactly right, it would cripple or kill you.
When the seat "cannon" fired, it would shorten your back by an inch or more.
Stationary, on the ground, the seat could throw you 350-400 feet into the air. If you didn't have your head hard back and locked against the seat back it would tear your head off. If your arms and legs weren't locked against your body, you could suffer multiple broken bones.
Still better than riding the blow torch to the ranch.

Last edited:
We had a guest speaker at a SSD once that suffered a brutal high speed ejection. He was telling his story and describing the nature of his injuries as they occurred in the ejection sequence. The detail was a little too graphic I suppose and it caused one of the pilots in the audience to pass out cold. His head slumped over and thudded on the desk, and we all had to leave while he was tended to. Needless to say, it left an impression on the dangers of ejecting at high speeds.

Definitely something you have to come to grips with before strapping the jet on.

This is a friend of mine (also an avid GA pilot who flies for Alaskan now) talking about his supersonic ejection:

Stationary, on the ground, the seat could throw you 350-400 feet into the air.

Had a new airman who did that in a T38 at Moody back in the late 60s or early 70s. Turned out he had problems at home and he decided to commit suicide. I was told 2 pins have to be pulled to arm the seat, and he did that and ejected on the ramp. Wasn't supposed to be alone around a jet without supervision as he was new.

My football coach in Germany was a WSO on F4s around 70-71. We were at practice one afternoon and an F4 took off and just beyond the departure end they ejected. Turns out some small part broke off his kneeboard and jammed the back seat stick and the pilot couldn't move his either. An F15 pilot at Eglin told me the back seater was his IP at UPT and later got an A10 but hit the ground killing him. Great guy, a lot of fun. Went to visit him that night in the base hospital and he was fine. Said it was his 2nd ejection.

Back