superior cylinders for O-470...

trombair

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
vic steelhammer
greetings!

anyone have experience with superior's "Millenium" cylinders for the continental O-470?

some years ago i had a set on a lycoming O-540 and they were terrific! easy break-in, low oil use, very balanced flow, and very smooth! :yes:

now it's time for cylinders on my O-470 and my engine shop says he can't recommend them due to "...chronic low compressions and high oil usage". something about them not having the ring/barrel hardness combination just right. :confused:

what gives? how could superior have gotten it so right with lycomings and so wrong with continentals? i'm wondering if he's just had a bad business relationship with superior (warranty beef, etc.) and is not recommending them for that, not that there's something technically wrong with them.

so i'm looking for real-world, non-biased experience here. anyone got anything? i sure liked the milleniums on my O-540 and would very much like to repeat the experience on my O-470.

thanks in advance!

blue skies,

trombair said:
greetings!

anyone have experience with superior's "Millenium" cylinders for the continental O-470?

some years ago i had a set on a lycoming O-540 and they were terrific! easy break-in, low oil use, very balanced flow, and very smooth! :yes:

now it's time for cylinders on my O-470 and my engine shop says he can't recommend them due to "...chronic low compressions and high oil usage". something about them not having the ring/barrel hardness combination just right. :confused:

what gives? how could superior have gotten it so right with lycomings and so wrong with continentals? i'm wondering if he's just had a bad business relationship with superior (warranty beef, etc.) and is not recommending them for that, not that there's something technically wrong with them.

so i'm looking for real-world, non-biased experience here. anyone got anything? i sure liked the milleniums on my O-540 and would very much like to repeat the experience on my O-470.

thanks in advance!

blue skies,

Sounds more like Continental cylinders from a few years ago. I suggest posting on the red board and see of Charlie Melot will respond.

I have millenium cylinders on O-470S. Have only done about 170 hours on them, oil consumotion about one quart 15-20 hours, compressions all high 70's, (never had that before) sounds different but runs smoothly, only minor problem was two very slightly tight valve guides, needed a tiny touch of reamer, very happy with engine to date, need any further info please contact me. Best wishes

tedrichey said:
I have millenium cylinders on O-470S. Have only done about 170 hours on them, oil consumotion about one quart 15-20 hours, compressions all high 70's, (never had that before) sounds different but runs smoothly, only minor problem was two very slightly tight valve guides, needed a tiny touch of reamer, very happy with engine to date, need any further info please contact me. Best wishes

hi ted!

thanks for the feed-back. i'll keep your comments in mind while making my desicion.

btw, did you have to ream the valve guides AFTER you assembled the engine :)eek: ), or did you catch it before things got bolted together?

thanks again and blue skies,
vic & N522A

I ordered the cylinder assemblies as part of a complete engine overhaul package. After a few hours it started dropping out a cylinder at idle with a higher than normal manifold pressure. The engine people lowered the valve into the cylinder and gave it the gentlest of touches with the reamer and so far all has been fine. Engine really does run well, that was the only minor problem to date..Ted

Back