Super Southeast Flying today

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Interesting weather in the SE this morning. Had to fly my Mooney from east side of Atlanta to Greenville, SC 144nm. Took off with a 500' ceiling, climbed to 7,000' where a 60kt !!! tailwind was giving me 215kt groundspeed at 8gph. In a little over a half hour I was on the ILS5 at KGYH breaking out at 300' . Definitely a fun flight.
Coming back after lunch I filed for 3,000' and still only had a groundspeed of about 110kts. Not so much fun.
Anybody else catch this strong southeasterly flow today?

VFR from KRAP to KAPA this morning. Straight and level flight had me doing 140 kts ground speed in a C172. Not quite a 60 kt tail wind but better than anything I've done before in level flight. Winds moved in sooner than expected and landed in 23G30 with LLWS advisory from the jet ahead of me. Good times!

I'm headed to KEOE (Newberry SC) tomorrow, but I don't expect anything near the winds you had today.

if you were headed the other way you would not be posting an 80knot groundspeed . . .

Different winds, but on my short hop from KSBM-KMWC on Sunday I had a ridiculous headwind - 105kt groundspeed in the Ovation!

Back