Super Decathlon training

tfitch03

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tfitch03
Does anyone on here own an 8KCAB and live in or around dallas that is willing to take me up a few times? I will pay for the fuel. I need to log several hours of super d time for an insurance requirement at a rental place.

Harvey and Rhin. They are near Houston. I just live in dallas.

There is one available in Wichita at Stearman Field (1K1). Dual-only. The owner does TW instruction, acro work, etc. I flew with him this summer for a BFR and TW endorsement.

I have a 7GCBC in Fairbanks I use for Acro... It's a little cold, but if you don't mind doing acro in -30degrees, come on up!

You don't need a 8KCAB to do acro... any Champ will do... 7GCBC, 7kcab, etc... If it doesn't have a header tank and inverted oil/fuel system, you won't be doing slow rolls or inverted flight for very long... If you know what I mean*

Let me put it this way, when it drops below 60 I start a fire and don't turn it off till spring time. I'm tough...I know.

I'm not necessarily needing to do acro, I just want to build some time. I would have loved to take you up on your offer though!

A GCBC should be fine for what you want to do. Lots of fun. Dale snodgrass seems to prefer a decathlon but your not dale snodgrass.

Insurance said it has to be an 8.... Sometimes they are such a pleasure to deal with.

A GCBC should be fine for what you want to do. Lots of fun. Dale snodgrass seems to prefer a decathlon but your not dale snodgrass.

Almost everybody who wants to do aerobatics prefers a Decathlon. Not sure why you bring up Dale Snodgrass whose experience seem to be mostly in jets and WWII fighters. Yeah he could outfly most Decathlon pilots in an F-86, but there are plenty of Decathlon pilots who would whip him in a Decathlon. There's not a lot of transfer from lazy jet/warbird acro to good aerobatics in a Decathlon. Apples to oranges.

Almost everybody who wants to do aerobatics prefers a Decathlon. Not sure why you bring up Dale Snodgrass whose experience seem to be mostly in jets and WWII fighters. Yeah he could outfly most Decathlon pilots in an F-86, but there are plenty of Decathlon pilots who would whip him in a Decathlon. There's not a lot of transfer from lazy jet/warbird acro to good aerobatics in a Decathlon. Apples to oranges.

I brought up dale snodgrass because he owns.....or did own a decathlon. I doubt if many will whip him in most any aircraft he flys. Hope this clears up " why I brought him up." Pilots trained by the military are usually superior. On top of this he was a "natural", which is why, with very little experience they turned him loose in one of the very first tomcats. In the case of captain snodgrass it's apples to apples for sure. In the case of this pilot, he seems to want to build time rather than do hard acro. The 150 GCBC would be excellent for this. The decathlon, more expensive and overkill for a novice.

Pilots trained by the military are usually superior.

Ah. Not sure what you mean by that. I was talking about aerobatics and pure stick and rudder skills. Not sure how the military can teach that. As far as aerobatics goes, doing combat maneuvering in jets with your feet flat on the floor really does not translate to increased ability in regular aerobatic planes where the rudder is actually used, and the maneuvers are much more varied. I used to hang out at some aerobatic contests and there were a number of ex and current fighter pilots. They did no better than anyone else. Again, apples to oranges environment. Shoot, the only two times I've ever witnessed a Piper Cub get groundlooped, they were both being flown by military pilots.

The decathlon, more expensive and overkill for a novice.

Not at all overkill. The Decathlon has inverted fuel and oil which means you can learn to do a "slow" roll on a straight line. That's a really basic aerobatic skill. Try that in a 7GCBC.

I doubt if many will whip him in most any aircraft he flys.

You should get him to go to an aerobatics contest then. ;)

Surely You must realize that military pilots don't start out in combat jets but rather train and do extensive training in acro and unusual attitude recovery in a series of smaller aircraft. They are known to be better trained than the average commercial pilot which is why airlines prefer them provided they have some applicable hours not to mention the mental screening they have gone thru. An excellent example would be the Colgan crash near buffalo. I doubt either pilot would have made it thru cadets. As for this application, the writer makes clear he does not want to do hard acro. That it why a GCBC would be more than adequate. Next question please, I'm getting bored.

I think Four Winds still has N330MS for dual at Aero Country.

H and R just added another sweet Decathlon about two weeks ago and still have the Super D. Why not just drive south for along weekend.

Back