Super Cub adventure!

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
The chemist in the office next door to me at UAA has been promising to take me flying for a while now. He owns a Super Cub.

It's parked at Birchwood, AK (about 30 minutes up the road from Anchorage).

It's yellow.

It has big poofy tundra tires.

Today he took me up and let me fly it a little. We flew into a canyon, and over a glacier, and landed on a bush strip at the foot of another glacier. I think he only used about 200 feet. (He did the landing, not me.)

Wait a minute, let me say that one again... we landed on a little pile of rocks at the foot of a glacier.

We got out and walked around the moraines. I ate a tangerine.

It was amazing beyond words. I took some pictures, but crappy digital photos simply have NO HOPE of capturing anything remotely close to the awesomeness of this flight. (I will post them anyway, as soon as they're downloaded.) Also my camera batteries died halfway through.

I asked him who maintains the strip. He said, "Maintains? Huh?"

Where we were, there is no radar. No radio contact. No roads. We were carrying lots of survival gear on board.

He says he knows somebody who can teach me to fly tailwheels.

He also says that he's considering renting his plane out to Extremely Trustworthy People so that it can get flown more often.

I went back to my office afterwards to work, but I cannot work.

I want more!

--Kath

That sounds like another really serious airplane addiction coming on Kath.

Extremely Trustworthy People - You should probably do something about that. Might come in handy. ;)

Keep the AK stories, and pictures, coming. :yes:

Kath,

That is amazing! It sounds almost like -- almost like a MOVIE! But, no, wait! It's real life!!!

Those Supercubs take almost no space to take off or to land. They are fabulous airplanes. If I could trade in my 140 for one of those, I'd do it in a minute. Have fun learning!

Ah, the bug has bit and it's infectious.

Would love to see pictures. Alaska is the only one of the 50 States I have not visited. It's on the list.

Carol said:
Pictures! We want pictures!

Done!

soon to start working on my ETP rating (Extremely Trustworthy Pilot)...
--Kath

I can rent a SuperCub for $98 / hr. I should do that sometime.

They are a lot of fun. Though , No glaciers around here..

Great pics Kath! One of my dads old "favorite" co-pilots owns a 1946 J-3 Cub up in North-western Connecticut which I get a few rides in...Can't wait to get back up in it again!

Those pictures are really urking me to get up to NW CT and go fly the Cub! The weather here the last few weeks canceled any intentions of going up.

Again, awesome pictures and story!

kath said:
Done!

soon to start working on my ETP rating (Extremely Trustworthy Pilot)...
--Kath

You call those "crappy digital photos"???? :eek:

The best thing around here doesn't hold a candle up to those.

Nice pictures Kath!

etsisk said:
Jesse, what sort of plane are you sitting in in your picture?
PA-12 Super Cruiser
DSCF0860.JPG

Video of me landing it:
http://korrupt.com/video/landingtailwheel.wmv

Those are some very cool pics! So, like in pix #3, when cruising above the bay below the deeply crevaced glacier you don't have to think about where you gonna' put her done if you have to? I mean, you got your rock and you got your hard place. Still, what a thrill it would be to make such a flight.

That is a really beautiful place to fly, absolutely breathtaking. If those pics don't do justice to it, then I can only imagine what it looks like for real. Those pics are AMAZING. I have flown in the rockies and thought they were breathtaking, but they are nothing like that.

Jim G

i am so envious .. i watched about 3 hours of alaska documentaries yesterday on discovery. i need to make my way up there next summer.

Back