Super Cold !

taters

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Taters
It was so cold today in Nebraska it hurt to breathe..I was pre-flighting a PA-28 and I always "kick" the rubber oil blow by line to make sure it is clear of ice..but today is was soo cold that it just broke clean off ! crap!...still a pretty nice day to fly though:)

It was cold here in Nebraska!
It was so cold that the South Pointe Starbucks was serving coffee on a stick.
I saw some cattle rubbing against their electric fence to warm up.
My colleague from work called me- they milked their cows this morning & got ice cream!

minus 20 F at my house at 8AM. We're in a low cold-drainage area. It's only minus 11F 7 miles away at the airport in Ames

I can't get the engine up to temperature in the 140 when the ambient temp is below about 20F. And that's with the winterization kit installed and the air intakes blocked off about 40%. To do any more would risk uneven cylinder cooling. Probably not worth the trouble.

With all the icing WX we've had over the past month or so, it's killing me to stay on the ground when the sun is shining.

It was so cold today in Nebraska it hurt to breathe..I was pre-flighting a PA-28 and I always "kick" the rubber oil blow by line to make sure it is clear of ice..but today is was soo cold that it just broke clean off ! crap!...still a pretty nice day to fly though:)

Don't be stressing things that are that cold. They will break. (Doh! He knows.)

I had to bang on the doors of my car to get them to open. We've had hard freezes and snow after rain. I had the ice scraper/snow brush inside on the back seat. I hadda to reach over from the front door. Then I got in and I couldn't get the power window to lower. Made it an adventure to go to the bank drive-through until it thawed out after the car heated for a half hour or so... and that was BEFORE we got the low single digits temps.

I've been wondering if I can lube the doors somehow to to prevent ice buildup. :dunno:

I need a garage, or least one less car so I can put them all under the carport. :mad:

This morning it was cold enough that my indoor/outdoor thermometer reported an error for the outdoor temperature. I figured that meant it was cold enough to start my truck when I went to put the dog out. The truck said 2F. On the drive to work, it hit a low of -1F.

My dog was very happy to come back inside after his use of the bathroom today, and he usually prefers being outdoors. :)

After an hour and a half flight last night, we left the plane parked on the ramp for about 50 minutes. Came back out and tried to start it...engine wouldn't hardly turn without a jump start from ground power. Just too frickin cold.

Back