Suntrust bank hack

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I read in the paper that Suntrust was hacked by some employees and customer account information was stolen. I received an email that I was one of them, and that they were offering free credit protection if I sign up. I started the process, but something about it seemed a little odd. Perhaps it is completely legitimate, but this is what it sounded like to me: "Some of your information was stolen from us, so please give us all the rest of your information so we can protect you".

Am I being too paranoid? The additional info they are asking for (CC #s, phone #s, passport #, SS# etc) was going to Experian (one of the credit reporting agencies), not Suntrust, but they are not immune from hacking either.

Maybe it's just me but I would trust Experian even less than a hacked bank.

Call or better yet go in person to the bank. Verify with them. I would not trust an email that wanted personal information like the one you received.

I don’t trust any correspondence,from banks ,on the internet. Some of the scams ,use the banks logo,or letterhead. I only use the phone ,if I start the call. In person also works.

Call or better yet go in person to the bank. Verify with them. I would not trust an email that wanted personal information like the one you received.
I don’t trust any correspondence,from banks ,on the internet. Some of the scams ,use the banks logo,or letterhead. I only use the phone ,if I start the call. In person also works.

I agree with both of you. But I had read about this hack in the paper a few days ago, and the email didn't ask for a direct response. It said to go to my on-line banking web site and read the warning and direction. So I went directly to their web site. I followed their links; to a point, but I chickened out before I submitted anything. I will take that advice about going to my branch to discuss this though, even though the problem was brought about by (former) bank employees.

I agree with both of you. But I had read about this hack in the paper a few days ago, and the email didn't ask for a direct response. It said to go to my on-line banking web site and read the warning and direction. So I went directly to their web site. I followed their links; to a point, but I chickened out before I submitted anything. I will take that advice about going to my branch to discuss this though, even though the problem was brought about by (former) bank employees.

Sounds honest but I'd still check with the bank myself.

I never click links in emails
Use your stored favorites or type in the bank website & start there.

I’d go ask them why they don’t have proper controls on separation of duties inside the bank and watch them gasp like fish because they don’t even know what that means. LOL.

I would expect a letter from a bank warning you of this, rather than an email.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but I would trust Experian even less than a hacked bank.

The thing is that Experian already has all the information and knows when it changes. Taking the monitoring service just means that you get to know it, too.

I have Experian three-bureau monitoring through USAA. I think it costs something like $15.00 / month. It's not bad. They do alert me to anything that happens regarding my credit, which isn't much these days now that I have freezes on everything. They're pretty quick about the alerts. There have been times when I found out from Experian that one or another of my credit lines had been increased before the issuer even told me.

Rich

Back