Sunday's flight: sharing aviation

spinfire

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Thanks to a coincidence of circumstances I had a chance to fly with my niece on Sunday. I was a bit worried (as was my sister) that she wouldn't like any bumpy air and it was a bit turbulent with cumulus above. My concerns were unfounded, she was eager, and said the bigger bumps as we crossed over a ridge line were "fun" :lol: . It was great and apparently she couldn't stop talking about it.

P1190842.jpg

Sharing aviation with other people is definitely one of my favorite things.

My full write up: http://cardinal.isomerica.net/2012/05/glens-falls-with-niranjan-and-arayana/

Soon, I need to actually get involved with Pilots 'n Paws...

WoW! Her smile says it all. Looks like she's having a ball. I hope my son enjoys his first flight with me as much. I'll be taking him up soon. He's seven.

You know, I had the same concern about my sister and the turbulence. I took her on a scenic flight a few weeks ago (Hudson River tour). It was pretty windy and she had never flown in a light plane before.

I let her know that if she felt uncomfortable at any time, to let me know and we'll return. She had a big smile on her face from the moment of liftoff til we landed:D.

When we touched down, she said, "We're back? Is that it?" She was ready for more:lol:.

She told me that I should give that speech to my future passengers because it was nowhere near as rough as she though it would be.

Nothing like a happy customer:rofl:

Thanks to a coincidence of circumstances I had a chance to fly with my niece on Sunday. I was a bit worried (as was my sister) that she wouldn't like any bumpy air and it was a bit turbulent with cumulus above. My concerns were unfounded, she was eager, and said the bigger bumps as we crossed over a ridge line were "fun" :lol: . It was great and apparently she couldn't stop talking about it.

Sharing aviation with other people is definitely one of my favorite things.

My full write up: http://cardinal.isomerica.net/2012/05/glens-falls-with-niranjan-and-arayana/

Soon, I need to actually get involved with Pilots 'n Paws...

Nice story- I agree the best part of flying is taking people along who are new to GA. So far everyone has really enjoyed it!

I also wanted to say that I really like reading your blog- makes my long commute on the train into work go quicker. Keep the stories coming!

Nice story- I agree the best part of flying is taking people along who are new to GA. So far everyone has really enjoyed it!

I also wanted to say that I really like reading your blog- makes my long commute on the train into work go quicker. Keep the stories coming!

Yes, great story(I just finished reading it). You bring up a good point about W&B affect on landing. During my first flight with two passengers last year (after my ten year hiatus), I did the same thing. Took a short flight from KFRG to KBDR and I under flared and bounced (about one & a half times):goofy:

I thought it was just due to my uneasiness of flying with passengers again and not wanting to leave a bad impression. I had only flown with a CFI to get back up to speed and checked out.
At least when we got back, my landing was smooth and bounce free.

Other Cardinal pilots have mentioned that they use a technique of an initial "half flare" a bit higher than the normal flare point to gauge what the flare will behave like. I haven't really explored this technique yet and I'm planning to now. I should also try to grab a friend or my wife for some of my practice flights. Unfortunately they're often after work on short notice so it is trickier to grab someone. Generally most of my practice flights are solo or one other person in the airplane often with less than full fuel so I am very used to that W&B configuration when landing.

Other Cardinal pilots have mentioned that they use a technique of an initial "half flare" a bit higher than the normal flare point to gauge what the flare will behave like. I haven't really explored this technique yet and I'm planning to now. I should also try to grab a friend or my wife for some of my practice flights. Unfortunately they're often after work on short notice so it is trickier to grab someone. Generally most of my practice flights are solo or one other person in the airplane often with less than full fuel so I am very used to that W&B configuration when landing.

Same here, so I have to remember that when I take my friend and her daughter up in a week or so:).

By the way, nice bird you got there!

That's really cool! I'm hoping (once I get my ticket) to visit my 5 year old nephew and take him on some flights. "Uncle Steve flies an airplane!" :D

I had the opposite with the Tiger, at MGTOW it seemed to make landings easier. Have only flown with 3 pax (4up) once, but have done 2 pax (3up) with luggage quite a few times. All of them were real greaser landings. I REALLY looked hard at the Cardinals when I was looking to buy and never thought I'd be in a Tiger (I love the Tiger now) ... but, those Cardinals are real beauties.

Back