Sun N Fun

David_L_Wilson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
David L Wilson
Wow, I just did a check and SNF is 900 nautical miles from my home base, if I would be willing to fly 200 miles across open water, IE the Gulf of Mexico. If I followed the coast it would add another 300 miles.

Compair that to my trip to Oshkosh which is about 675 miles. I don't know if the 150 is up to the trip. Especially because SNF is no competiter with Oshkosh.

Sure, SNF is a much smaller show then OSH but it's manageable to do in a few days verse many days at OSH. The airshows are quality and the date (April) is perfect to bail out of the cold Northeast for a few days of "sun and fun".

Think of all the books you could sell there!!! ;)
:fingerwag: Now that's not fair. David didn't bring that up at all in this thread.

I've thought of doing SNF, but if I'm down that way in April I just keep going until I hit Key West!

I'll give another. I've done the author's corner at Oshkosh and managed to sell about a dozen books. The main financial impact will be making the trip tax deductible. The main impact on the trip was giving me a good place to go to get out of the rain. If they do a similar thing at SNF it could reduce your expenses quite a bit. And of course you should do it at Oshkosh.

:fingerwag: Now that's not fair. David didn't bring that up at all in this thread.
Hence the smilie.

I've thought of doing SNF, but if I'm down that way in April I just keep going until I hit Key West!
I have not ever been there during the fly-in but my plane has. The previous owner flew it down there where it was broken into and had all the radios stolen. That worked out for me as insurance then replaced everything with new stuff and that was just a few months before I bought the plane.

:fingerwag:Please don't encourage him.

David- Scott gave you an opening to talk about your book on the thread. I hope you don't take it.

I have no idea what you are talking about my fine sir....uh Pirate

Wow, I just did a check and SNF is 900 nautical miles from my home base, if I would be willing to fly 200 miles across open water, IE the Gulf of Mexico. If I followed the coast it would add another 300 miles.

Compair that to my trip to Oshkosh which is about 675 miles. I don't know if the 150 is up to the trip. Especially because SNF is no competiter with Oshkosh.

I've been to SnF a few times and it's a lot like Oshkosh was about 30 years ago. A bit less organized, more relaxed, and smaller (probably around one fourth the number of attendees). Sometimes due to development schedules new products are introduced at SNF but not always.

BTW, I don't think I'd relish flying a 150 across the GOM much beyond gliding distance from shore and isn't 300 nm about the max range of a 150?

And where is your home base? I can't find any place in the US that's 900 nm from KLAL which would require an additional 300 nm to circumvent the GOM. From the southern most tip of TX you'd only add 150 nm or so. I also can't find a place that's 675 from KOSH and 900 from KLAL that would require more than a 15 nm detour to stay over land. Finally, Cortez CO is a lot further from OSH and LAL.

I think that David's out of Sundance Airpark in OK City, KHSD. If so, I think it would take about 40NM to circumnavigate the GoM. More, of course, if you also want to avoid all the MOAs down there.

I think that David's out of Sundance Airpark in OK City, KHSD. If so, I think it would take about 40NM to circumnavigate the GoM. More, of course, if you also want to avoid all the MOAs down there.

Good memory. However, I am now on a private strip south of Norman called Paradise. I got the 900nm thing from a free flight planner. I could have been mistaken.

It is exactly 897.8 NM straight line distance to LAL from 1k4, about a 3 miles from Paradise. Over 200 NM flying over GOM.

The range of my 150 is 2 hours and then I have to unload the holding tank.

It is exactly 897.8 NM straight line distance to LAL from 1k4, about a 3 miles from Paradise. Over 200 NM flying over GOM.

gcmapoklatolal.gif

By just a slight alteration of the route to the north you would never have to fly over water. By going direct at the widest point you would be 55 nm offshore.

Last edited:
By just a slight alteration of the route to the north you would never have to fly over water. By going direct at the widest point you would be 55 nm offshore.

55 NM is a long way to glide....:loco:

I've flown that route around the panhandle before and it's quite scenic. It would be a lot more interesting than flying directly over the gulf anyway. V521 would only take you only 43nm over water and never more than 21.5nm from the shore. You wouldn't need any additional equipment per 91.509 (although a life preserver might be prudent anyway).

The last time I went that way I kinda wanted to spend a day or two at CDK, but my schedule didn't permit it.

All I can say is that this is the flight I'm planning for November. A bit more than 55NM offshore! :)

Attachments

• carib09.PNG
    carib09.PNG
    145.1 KB · Views: 19
Row, row, row your boat. Gently down the...Gulf of Mexico:fcross:

The range of my 150 is 2 hours and then I have to unload the holding tank.

It looks to me that you could stay within 2-3 nm from land while adding no more than about 10 nm to the 900 nm trip. Where did you get the 300 nm required to avoid the GOM?

gcmapoklatolal.gif

As you can see by the map it is a considerable distance over water. Just by looking at the scale, understanding it is a 900 NM trip it appears that between 200-300 NM is over open water. I can't give you a better answer than that. You would basically be over open water from the tip of the panhandle to the main body of Florida. Thats if you went perfectly straight. Following the coast would naturally add mileage.

Last edited:
As you can see by the map it is a considerable distance over water. Just by looking at the scale, understanding it is a 900 NM trip it appears that between 200-300 NM is over open water. I can't give you a better answer than that. You would basically be over open water from the tip of the panhandle to the main body of Florida. Thats if you went perfectly straight. Following the coast would naturally add mileage.

It doesn't have to be a considerable distance over water. MapSource calculated 1035 statute miles direct (over a lot of water) compared to 1045 stature miles going around the GOM- 10 miles difference pretty much as Gismo determined. That's only 5 minutes longer and a more scenic trip.

Attachments

• flight.JPG
    flight.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
It doesn't have to be a considerable distance over water. MapSource calculated 1035 statute miles direct (over a lot of water) compared to 1045 stature miles going around the GOM- 10 miles difference pretty much as Gismo determined. That's only 5 minutes longer and a more scenic trip.

I guess he skipped out on the cross country planning portion of his flight training.:rolleyes2: Maybe that's why his dog won't fly with him.:tongue:

I guess he skipped out on the cross country planning portion of his flight training.:rolleyes2: Maybe that's why his dog won't fly with him.:tongue:

Uh, I have over 300 hours of XC. Not a nice thing to say to me.

Back