Sun-N-Fun Tornado?

Twitter folks like to name these events - The big snowstorms the last couple of winters have been named Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon, and SnOMG... Of course the ultra-rainy Sun 'n' Fun a couple years ago was "Mud 'n' Scud" and it appears that we now have "Storm 'n' Fun" or "Splash 'n' Twist."

More like "Doom and Gloom"

I'm hearing that the camping area is trashed and underwater with downed trees resting on a RV or two. I probably would be rethinking my weekend plans if they were to go there.

I hope steve and whoever else attended are okay!

This is very sad news. I had always wondered if Sun N Fun or Oshkosh were indirectly asking for a disaster such as this. The bigger the event, the larger the damage when mother nature is in a nasty mood. Hopefully this will be the one and only time.

I camped down there 5 years in a row at one time. This stuff still hits home!

On a brighter note, now we'll know which tie downs are best to buy!

I haven't gotten a CFO digest since Sun-N-Fun started and I'm dreading the next one. They were supposed to have a meet-up before or during the event. Glad I didn't make it down there this year (luckily or not, it's a bad time of the year for taking a trip like that, in a couple of different ways).

Brutal. I feel really sorry for the homebuilders. All that work, poof....

Yesterday we first got a message from Scott Taylor (GA operation manager) that our plane was OK. This was followed by a photo of N307HL standing upright among the carnage with what appeared to be double ropes tie downs.

I went ahead with my plan and flew to TPA this morning. I arrived at SnF at noon. When I stopped and asked for direction to the parking lot, I was told that there was a huge 2hrs+ line. I headed for the motel, checked in, logged on line and found Rick's email telling me of the bad news. Scott went back to inspect the plane and found some leading edge damages so GA will fly our plane back to Arlington to repair it.
Since the purpose of my trip is to fly our plane back to NY, this news came as a disappointment. Oh well, I am here so I might as well try to get in to see the airshow and check out new products. I will probably feel a lot better to have a look at N307HL. I could not see any damages from the photo so they are likely to be minor. The fact that Glasair will fly it back to their factory meant that it is airworthy.

SnF facebook apologized for the horrible parking condition today and promised things will be much better tomorrow. They have to truck in a lot of gravel to repair muddy areas for more parking.

Hai Longworth

Yet another reason why I doubt I'll ever build an airplane - You can insure yourself for money, but nothing will bring back all that time. :frown2:

No, the time is gone, but better gone on an airplane project than on stupid shows on the boob tube.

Dan

Brutal. I feel really sorry for the homebuilders. All that work, poof....

That's really heartbreaking.
Do airplane insurance policies typically cover this sort of loss? Even if they do, I know it's small consolation for something a person has poured so much time into.

That's really heartbreaking.
Do airplane insurance policies typically cover this sort of loss? Even if they do, I know it's small consolation for something a person has poured so much time into.

If you paid for hull coverage or not in motion coverage, you're covered.

I wonder what kind of licensing fee the t-shirt maker is paying the Sun-n-Fun people to use the logo...

IIRC, the Pilot Mall has a display at the show and probably has a pretty broad license to use the image.

Every time I see the picture of the guy working on the inverted aqua RV, I wonder if he's planning to ask for a refund of the cost of his fancy tie-downs.

You suppose he looked and asked himself how he'd get out of a hinged bubble canopy if he flipped himself over?

Nope. I don't think any RV owners are near that smart. :tongue:
You suppose he looked and asked himself how he'd get out of a hinged bubble canopy if he flipped himself over?

Back