Sun N Fun Mooney Crash

Worldwide trade

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WorldWiseTrade
Any update on possible causes of the Mooney crash at Sun N Fun this year? New aircraft, seemingly plenty of fuel, experienced pilot. As a Mooney owner, always interested in safety and accident prevention.

Happy Flying!

I thought about this the other day when I was reading about the M10 in one of the pilot magazines. Just also curious to see what the trouble was.

My money is still on infant mortality of one of the fuel delivery components firewall forward. The guy said it was sudden power loss while idling. That to me reeks of failed injection system component of some sort.

In the aggregate, not a good PR thing for piston GA. Why manufacturers of such low-volume hand-built products risk their reputation on fuel delivery components from the jurassic age is beyond me. Of course I'm being rhetorical; these guys hardly have a choice on engine and fuel system component and material selection thanks to part 23 and the FAA. I'm sure the Mooney airframe on its own was decently manufactured and assembled, if done stateside.

Here's a crazy idea. If Mooney were allowed to roll these kites out the factory floor under de facto exAB rules, I bet you these machines would suck less and sales would go up. Ultimately, I'm glad the dude got out before the fire got him.

Back