Summer Soups

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
It has been a while since we had a food thread on PoA. After my dinner last night I thought I should start one.

I made and ate one of my favorite summer soups. It is a real easy recipe and tastes great. It is carrot/lentil soup.

To make it you dice one onion and sauté, add to it 4 large grated carrots and heat for about 5 minutes.

Then add one cup of orange lentils and 28oz of vegi stock. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

After the soup has simmered, mix it into a purée with a hand blender, add 14oz of diced tomatoes, and serve with either a sprinkling of green onion or diced cucumbers on top.

Delicious!

This got me thinking about other great summer soups. I personally like gazpacho a lot but I have never tried making it. Anyone have a good recipe?

Or any other good summer soup recipes for that matter?

Last edited:
Why puree a lentil based soup? The lentils have an excellent texture themselves.

Open can of Campbells Chicken and Rice, add 1/3 can water. Sprinkle on crushed red pepper. Microwave until hot.

Because you want to blend them with the onion and carrot

That's why you saute, sweat, or stew on low heat, to blend flavors. You puree to change texture.

Soups for us tend to be a winter deal, so I'm a bit short on recipes. Check back with yours truly about January.

That's why you saute, sweat, or stew on low heat, to blend flavors. You puree to change texture.
The soup comes out rather ugly looking before it is pureed, the flavors are more in blocks instead of a homogeneous mix plus you get a cream like soup texture after to the puree' without using cream. If you want to make it without pureeing it, go ahead. But my recipe has it as a step and I think it a better soup because of it.

Open can of Campbells Chicken and Rice, add 1/3 can water. Sprinkle on crushed red pepper. Microwave until hot.

Beat one egg with juice of one lemon. Slowly add the hot Chicken/rice soup to the egg mixture so as to warm it slowly and not cook the eggs.

You now have Greek Avgolemo (egg lemon) soup.

Enjoy.

But most of us don't eat a lot of hot soup in the summer....although I have been continuing to sample chili occasionally.

Last edited:
This got me thinking about other great summer soups. I personally like gazpacho a lot but I have never tried making it. Anyone have a good recipe?

Oooo... That's good stuff. And the best part is, you can make a really big batch 'cuz the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets. :yes:

6 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup tomato juice or V8
1 medium cucumber, peeled & chopped
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1-2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8th teaspoon black pepper
A few drops of Tabasco, to taste

Pretty much just a bunch o' choppin' and mixin'. And like I said, the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the better it gets. :yes:

Or any other good summer soup recipes for that matter?

Well, I have a couple of favorite salad recipes - Cucumber salad, and Broccoli-Tomato salad.

Cucumber salad:
Thinly slice 1 cucumber. Lay out the slices, and sprinkle with salt. (I do this in a big bowl, and put in a layer, then salt, another layer, salt, etc.) You're basically trying to get the water out of the cucumber to keep the sauce from being too runny. After the cuke slices sit with the salt for 10 minutes or so, drain it all out.
While you're waiting for the cucumbers to sweat, chop up about 1/8th to 1/4 of an onion.
Mix 1/2 cup sour cream, a bit of pepper, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar (I like using red wine vinegar). Add to the cucumbers and onions. Mix, and enjoy.

Broccoli-Tomato salad: (I still haven't gotten this quite as good as my mom can do it, but it's good anyway...)
2 cups raw broccoli flowerettes, chopped
Mix 1/3 cup oil, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, and some salt & pepper. Pour over the broccoli, and chill for 30 minutes.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1 teaspoon of mustard.
Mix.
Eat. :)
(And if you can figure out how to keep the sour cream and mustard from staying thick and just sitting on top of everything else, let me know. :rofl:)

Thanks Kent. I'll try the gazpacho. As for the cucumber salad I already have my favorite but your sounds nice too.

My cucumber salad is pickle. Slice the cumbers, ad to a pickle brine.

The pickle brine is white vinegar, sugar and a little water. You have to mess with the amount of each ingredient to make it taste a little sweet and sour. Add cucumbers and white onoin slices and let sit a few hours.

Thanks Kent. I'll try the gazpacho. As for the cucumber salad I already have my favorite but your sounds nice too.

My cucumber salad is pickle. Slice the cumbers, add to a pickle brine.

The pickle brine is white vinegar, sugar and a little water. You have to mess with the amount of each ingredient to make it taste a little sweet and sour. Add cucumbers and white onoin slices and let sit a few hours.

As an option-Add a little cumin, a little pepper, and some mustard seeds.

to the salad or the gazpacho?
I'm sorry- to the pickle brine. After pickling, chop it the pickles & onions up and you get relish. Add the relish to mayonnaise (preferably home-made) and you get a kind of tartar sauce.

Back