Summer in the New York Area

Stephan E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephan E.
Hello Everybody

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I don't exactly comply with your rules and customs.

I have a European PPL (JAR) and I'm planning to have it converted to a FAA licence this summer. I am aware of all the administration work that needs to be done but I have another issue on which I hope to get an answer here:

I intend to do the couple of hours that i need to complete in the course of the conversion of the licence in White Plains N.Y. (Westchester County Airport). To this end I would like to come to White Plains in June or July for about 5 days.

How realistic is it to expect that in June or July I would be able to complete five hours of airwork within a period of five days? Do you often have weather conditions in summer that would prohibit vfr-flying for 5 consecutive days? Or is that very rare?

I know that this is not a forum of truth-tellers but maybe an insight into your experience would also do...

Thank you and best regards from Switzerland

Stephan

Stephan,

In June or July in that area I would expect you to not have problems getting your hours in the 5 days you've set aside for this. In June or July the main thing that would prevent VFR flying would be thunderstorms. It's rare that you have 5 solid days of thunderstorms all day, every day. Try to set aside time in the mornings.

As to customs of this forum, asking questions is encouraged. However I'm guessing something was lost in translation saying that we're not a forum of truth-tellers. Most of us tell the truth, but we cannot predict the future with complete certainty, which I believe is what you meant. :)

By the way, it's been a few years since I've visited Switzerland, but enjoyed driving around Zurich, Arosa, and a bunch of other mountain roads. Beautiful country, I hope to get to go back sometime, preferably flying!

June or July in White Plains is an excellent choice. While the days are hot, there are not usually thunderstorms. Visibility is limited by haze up to about 5000 ft., though. Also, HPN is a busy airport underneath a Bravo shelf with lots of airline and commuter traffic. The tower is great at handling this, though.

Welcome to the US.

Welcome to PoA. Truth-tellers: usually. Sooth-sayers: not.

Welcome to our backyard. I agree with Peggy and Ted, those months are a fine time to fly. The major issues are afternoon CB's and sometimes it gets pretty hazy and the visibilities are not so wonderful. You will get alot of experience in our area working with ATC in the airspace and at HPN. Come on up to POU while you are here as well. You too Peggy..when are you coming up the river?

Even though you may have afternoon thunderstorms, they may or may not affect what you're doing. For example I've flown into White Plains in the summer months (I seem to recall June or July) after flying up and down the Hudson, and there was an isolated thunderstorm over the Bronx. Stayed on the Hudson for a bit further than normal, then turned direct HPN once we were past it.

Unless the thunderstorm is really big, is a squall line, or is right on top of the airport, it probably doesn't present a real problem. Haze is annoying, but should be something you can deal with.

Thank you for inputs. It's about what I was expecting (or hoping). Where I come from it's basically the same. Some CB's possible, some rainy days too, but rarely a longer stretch of several days where you wouldn't be able to fly.

btw: the road to Arosa indeed is very interesting (361 curves on the way up to Arosa). But flying in the Alps is definitly even more fascinating (and of course you were right: what I meant was a fortune-teller, i.e. someone who can tell the future ;-)).

I see that you all are quite positive about White Plains. ATC should not pose a problem since my homebase is Basel-Mulhouse, an international airport with ATC. I therefore "grew up" with ATC. Obviously I will have to do my homework as to US-ATC, but I think I will be able to handle this.

One further question: The alternative would be Farmingdale. It would be very close to the FAA-office in Green City, which I will have to visit in person. But on the other hand the Airport looks as if its really close to JFK (and La Guardia) which I imagine is not really fun. Flying-wise, would you rather recommend White Plains or Farmingdale?

Thanks again for your help and best regards
Stephan

Farmingdale ATC is reputedly much less friendly than HPN.

Don't know about White Plains but if you are going to be on Long Island perhaps ISP or HWV might work. Farmingdale can get busy. Note that driving around between LI and the 'mainland' can be far more time consuming than it looks on a map. Have fun.

Stephan I don't think you can go wrong at either Airport. We have a lot of folks from Pilots of America who are in the HPN area not sure about Farmingdale.

Perhaps when Stephan gets to the area, we should organize a fly in for a party somewhere in the region. I understand that Ted will be quite willing to host an open bar at the event!

Quote:

"This is my first post, so please excuse me if I don't exactly comply with your rules and customs."

Oh, by the way, we refuse to follow any rules or customs here anyway, so not to worry!

Last edited:
Perhaps when Stephan gets to the area, we should organize a fly in for a party somewhere in the region. I understand that Ted will be quite willing to host an open bar at the event!

-snip-

Oh, by the way, we refuse to follow any rules or customs here anyway, so not to worry!

Your first comment is proof of your second. ;)

I'll be glad to host an open bar. You'll have to pay for it. :D

Note that I am not the one paying for an open bar at the FlyBQ, either, and Mr. Zucker is hosting that one.

Excellent-Just let us know when and where if not already out there.

I will be happy to help out with an open bar, perhaps like the royal food (drink) taster, or something along those lines!

I see that you all are quite positive about White Plains. ATC should not pose a problem since my homebase is Basel-Mulhouse, an international airport with ATC. I therefore "grew up" with ATC. Obviously I will have to do my homework as to US-ATC, but I think I will be able to handle this.
Stephan, I agree with all the above comments about White Plains. The one thing not yet mentioned is that the local procedure at White Plains is like a Class C airport, despite the fact that the airport is Class D airspace. ATC wants you to contact Approach Control for spacing prior to contacting Tower. Just think of it as a Class C airspace until on the ground.

And, if you can get to the Fly-B-Q, you have a winner! Adam and friends put on one great aviation party!!!

-Skip

Bar and B-B-Q is definitly an option besides flying! I will let you know as soon as my plans develop.

Stephan

Hello Everybody

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I don't exactly comply with your rules and customs.

I have a European PPL (JAR) and I'm planning to have it converted to a FAA licence this summer. I am aware of all the administration work that needs to be done but I have another issue on which I hope to get an answer here:

I intend to do the couple of hours that i need to complete in the course of the conversion of the licence in White Plains N.Y. (Westchester County Airport). To this end I would like to come to White Plains in June or July for about 5 days.

How realistic is it to expect that in June or July I would be able to complete five hours of airwork within a period of five days? Do you often have weather conditions in summer that would prohibit vfr-flying for 5 consecutive days? Or is that very rare?

I know that this is not a forum of truth-tellers but maybe an insight into your experience would also do...

Thank you and best regards from Switzerland

Stephan

What you get here is everyone's opinion, the truth is not required.

these pictures were taken just north of White Planes in July 2000 typical of the summer weather

Attachments

• PSN00006.jpg
    PSN00006.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
  • READOUT.jpg
    READOUT.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
Farmingdale ATC is reputedly much less friendly than HPN.

I haven't found it unfriendly, but since it is very busy they tend to be a bit less charming than other towers I have dealt with. For example, I flew my long XC this past weekend (I plan on making a thread about it, but haven't gotten around to writing the whole thing yet), and i confused ALB with SCH. When it was obvious to SCH tower that i was disoriented, they were very patient and helpful. Not sure that would happen at FRG. However, I don't think there was a single arrival or departure during my 30 minutes on the ground at SCH. I have no experience with HPN, so I can't compare the two.

Congratulations on the long cross-country. It is a wonderful adventure, isn't it! I also made an unscheduled stop on mine -- at Bradley, although it was weather that forced the change of plans. My instructor told me that the words "Student Pilot" are even more magical than "abracadabra". I am sure that a student pilot gets special treatment from controllers, wherever they are.

HPN and FRG are roughly equally busy. Schenectedy, considerably less. HPN has more commercial and jet traffic, while FRG has more local traffic.

HPN
Aircraft based on the field: 326
Single engine airplanes: 176
Multi engine airplanes: 61
Jet airplanes: 75
Helicopters: 14
Aircraft operations: avg 422/day *
46% transient general aviation
29% local general aviation
18% air taxi
6% commercial
<1% military