Summary of Cost and Time for my PP training

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
I got a chance to look over the invoices for my PP flight training and also cross-reference them to the hours logged in my log book. I understand/am told that the cost and time vary for student. Below is a snashop of what it was for me.

What the most recent "bell curve" and standard deviation for PP training look like I don't know.

Cost Summary
Cost of aircraft rental = $6,888 (dual and solo)
Cost of instructor = $3,374 ($2,259 in flight + $1,115 ground)
Total Cost of Aircraft Rental and Instructor = $10,262

Aircraft Flight Time Summary
Aircraft Flight Time with Instructor = 46.1 hours
Aircraft Flight Time Solo = 11.9 hours
Total Aircraft Flight Time = 58 hours

Instructor Time Summary
Instructor Time in Flight = 46.1 hours
Instructor Time on ground = 22.8 hours
Total Instructor Time = 68.9 hours

- Aircraft rented: Cessna 172 N, "6 pack"; rental cost for "block rate" was generally $119/hr.
- Instructor Fee: $49/hr.

This summary does not include the costs related to checkride, written test, charts, books, etc. That would bring the total cost for me to + $11,000.

Yeah, I sure hope I'll never get to do this again! Although, in the future, diiiiistant future, I would like to get an instrument rating but am reluctant to think what that might cost as well.

EDIT 2012-10-16
A crude chart showing the training hours distributed per month. Not suprisingly, one of the best way to improve the learning experience is to fly at least a few hours per week. If I had to do it all over again, that's the first think I would try to change.

Vertical axis is number of hours flown in a month.

8092999399_6436435987_c.jpg

Last edited:
You can't think about the money you spent to do it. Just the experience.

Did a flight to Jacksonville (from KTDZ) in a Cherokee Six. 6.5 hours (x165/hr wet) one way is ... a lot of money. Then it was 6.5 hours back of course. Seeing the Smokey Mountains/Applachian mountains from 6k was just cool! Could've done the flight via commercial airliners for cheaper but not faster. :)

I spend money to do the things that excite me in this life - there are no do-overs.

I figured I spent close to $15k what with buying toys, headsets, bags, computers, Oh!, and lessons. Then it really went up. There was the Warrior, upgrades, engine, interior...
It's just begun. Get used to it.

$70/hr 152 - 43 hours - 3k

Instructor $30/hr 30 hrs $900 minimal ground instruction - studied on my own a lot

examiner's fee $400

Written $150

books, headset - $180

total 4630

that was in 2011

It cost me $3,300 in 1994. Using $11K as the current price, that's a 7% annual inflation rate. I did the same analysis for fuel costs, and that resulted in a 7.2% annual inflation rate. Interesting correlation, huh?

Started in November 1982 school had a solo deal for $250 that included the plane and instructor for 10 hours or solo plus books, the plane was a Tomahawk. Soloed at 9.6 hours, could have done it sooner just wanted to get all the hours I could. Changed over to flying a Warrior after solo, it rented for $40 an hour wet and $10 for the instructor. Finished in July 1983 with 48.1 total hours after the check ride. I spent just under $2,200.

The Warrior was new with less than 50 hours when I started flying it.

Thanks for the breakdown. I will do the same when I pass, so people who are just starting know what to expect.

Our 172 cost $150 an hour. Everything up to the solo at my school is done in a 150 however, and that cost $110 an hour. Obviously the driving factor, is how many hours it takes. I think the average is in the 70's.

Considering how much it cost to fly, anything that can get those hours down is a good thing. I bought a simulator with all the bells and whistles for my home computer, and I have spent a good amount of time in that. If it knocks 4 hours off my training, it's paid for itself.

I am also in the process of buying a plane (the plane is in it's prebuy), so I will do the rest of my duel time in it, and that should save me some money. I was going to finish up my PPL in it, but it's a 182RG, and I am on track to finish in 40 hours (done all my solo work, and am at 26 hours atm).

My plan is to do my hood time, and night XC with my CFI in the 182, Checkride prep and checkride in the rented 172, and fill the hours I still need in the 182 with my instructor so it will be both time needed for PPL, and time needed for HP and complex endorsements. This means when I am done with my PPL, the number of hours required so I can fly solo in my own plane, will be less.

What sucks, is all of that crap I just said, is because for every hour I need to learn something, it's anywhere from $150 (my own plane + $60 for CFI), to $200 (150 Rental +$50 CFI). The natural progression, would be to not even step foot into the 182, until I have my PPL. If the delta in cost was in the hundreds, and not thousands, that's how I would do it.

We have another thread going about why the aviation population is declining, and while 50% of the group is saying "money", me included, I have a hard time figuring out why the other 50% disagree, when these are the figures thrown out, just to get into the game.

Getting you PPL, an experience of a lifetime = Priceless

Totally so! Nil regrets or doubts on that, and there' much to look forward to.

You can't think about the money you spent to do it. Just the experience.

Did a flight to Jacksonville (from KTDZ) in a Cherokee Six. 6.5 hours (x165/hr wet) one way is ... a lot of money. Then it was 6.5 hours back of course. Seeing the Smokey Mountains/Applachian mountains from 6k was just cool! Could've done the flight via commercial airliners for cheaper but not faster. :)

Must be pretty amazing to be able to do that, and also do it! Love this country!! ;) I do not want GA to be strangled.

I spend money to do the things that excite me in this life - there are no do-overs.

Agreed, life's short. Challenges for me though were family,who, at this point, does not seem to get a kick out of this flying thing.

I figured I spent close to $15k what with buying toys, headsets, bags, computers, Oh!, and lessons. Then it really went up. There was the Warrior, upgrades, engine, interior...
It's just begun. Get used to it.

Sure am. Trying to figure out how I will not only remain proficient, but get better. It's only a start... I find myself reading about airplane ownership and such - I'm in no position to even think about that, but I still do :rolleyes:

What would you have spent that $11,000 on if you hadn't gotten your license to learn?

A little sail boat! :D At least my family would go with me on that.

$70/hr 152 - 43 hours - 3k

Instructor $30/hr 30 hrs $900 minimal ground instruction - studied on my own a lot

examiner's fee $400

Written $150

books, headset - $180

total 4630

that was in 2011

Baaah... unreal. That is darn remarkable for 2011! Congrats to you - a lot of things must go right/"be right" to get it done as you did.

It cost me $3,300 in 1994. Using $11K as the current price, that's a 7% annual inflation rate. I did the same analysis for fuel costs, and that resulted in a 7.2% annual inflation rate. Interesting correlation, huh?

Ha!! Go figure... that is interesting... thanks for pointing that out. Maybe this will make some of the LSA aircraft the "new and improved C150". Sipping fuel at 4.5 to 5 GPH must be one good way to train.

Started in November 1982 school had a solo deal for $250 that included the plane and instructor for 10 hours or solo plus books, the plane was a Tomahawk. Soloed at 9.6 hours, could have done it sooner just wanted to get all the hours I could. Changed over to flying a Warrior after solo, it rented for $40 an hour wet and $10 for the instructor. Finished in July 1983 with 48.1 total hours after the check ride. I spent just under $2,200.

The Warrior was new with less than 50 hours when I started flying it.

48 hrs after checkride is impressive (I'm impressed by it anyways). And it's not like you did it in a crash-course month, but over 9 months or so! But $2,200??? Sometimes I wish I was born two decades earlier - I think I missed out on some good things ;-)

Thanks for the breakdown. I will do the same when I pass, so people who are just starting know what to expect.

That would be helpful, especially because you will have done it in considerable less time - will be very good to see different results.

Our 172 cost $150 an hour. Everything up to the solo at my school is done in a 150 however, and that cost $110 an hour. Obviously the driving factor, is how many hours it takes. I think the average is in the 70's.

Considering how much it cost to fly, anything that can get those hours down is a good thing. I bought a simulator with all the bells and whistles for my home computer, and I have spent a good amount of time in that. If it knocks 4 hours off my training, it's paid for itself.

Toally agree - there are lots of things a student can do to learn well, be prepared and as a result reduce the time to train. When used "with care", simulators and other aids are really, really good - so I've found

I am also in the process of buying a plane (the plane is in it's prebuy), so I will do the rest of my duel time in it, and that should save me some money. I was going to finish up my PPL in it, but it's a 182RG, and I am on track to finish in 40 hours (done all my solo work, and am at 26 hours atm).
Can't imagine how exciting it must be! Congrats to you!! Not only will you get your PP certificate, but have your won kick-ass airplane and put you on track for IR rating. Not too shabby.

My plan is to do my hood time, and night XC with my CFI in the 182, Checkride prep and checkride in the rented 172, and fill the hours I still need in the 182 with my instructor so it will be both time needed for PPL, and time needed for HP and complex endorsements. This means when I am done with my PPL, the number of hours required so I can fly solo in my own plane, will be less.

What sucks, is all of that crap I just said, is because for every hour I need to learn something, it's anywhere from $150 (my own plane + $60 for CFI), to $200 (150 Rental +$50 CFI). The natural progression, would be to not even step foot into the 182, until I have my PPL. If the delta in cost was in the hundreds, and not thousands, that's how I would do it.
And I guess there's no "solo flight time" during IR training? :D

We have another thread going about why the aviation population is declining, and while 50% of the group is saying "money", me included, I have a hard time figuring out why the other 50% disagree, when these are the figures thrown out, just to get into the game.

My emphasys - absolutely, that's the key. Nevermind the cost and time of getting a PP certificate, the most important thing is the proficieny thereafter and planning for that, I believe.

Haha, I am not even thinking about IR training yet. My plan for the first year or two, is to use the plane as a nice weekend getaway for a day or two.

While eating breakfast with my wife on Saturday, I asked her "So, want to go to Long Island for the day? We can be there in an hour and a half."

She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her "In a few months, that will be a common breakfast question :)"

I'd have to go back and look at my logboox to be exact but..

$160hr for warrior+cfi @65hrs=10,400
$100hr for warrior @15hrs solo=1,500
books=300
written exam=150
practical exam=400

$12,750. I could have gotten away with about 55hrs dual and maybe 12 hours solo, but I was waiting on my checkride so I wanted the extra instruction and practice.

Bah! At least one unfortunate poster spent more than that on an annual.

I've always said "if you have to ask..."

Bah! At least one unfortunate poster spent more than that on an annual.

I've always said "if you have to ask..."

Sorry to disappoint you that some of us non-rich folk are interested in flying. The forum could have asked for a W2 when we made out accounts, to keep the riff raff out.

Sorry to disappoint you that some of us non-rich folk are interested in flying. The forum could have asked for a W2 when we made out accounts, to keep the riff raff out.

Not rich myself, you can ask anyone who knows me. But sorry, the activity is breathtakingly expensive. I spent quite a bit myself. The only difference is I knew it was going to be expensive despite my attempts at cost cutting, and I didn't complain at the end of it. You just couldn't put a price on those moments.

It isn't how rich you are, it's how committed. Had I spent ten times what I did it would still be a bargain. I'd be even broker than I am now, but equally happy.

Not rich myself, you can ask anyone who knows me. But sorry, the activity is breathtakingly expensive. I spent quite a bit myself. The only difference is I knew it was going to be expensive despite my attempts at cost cutting, and I didn't complain at the end of it. You just couldn't put a price on those moments.

It isn't how rich you are, it's how committed. Had I spent ten times what I did it would still be a bargain. I'd be even broker than I am now, but equally happy.

I am loving what I am doing, but if the cost was 40K to get my PPL, I simply could not have done it. I am sure you can replace that 40K with any number, and you have the right value for a group of people who wish to fly.

For those whom that number is less then 10K, this is an extremely important thread to them.

Getting you PPL, an experience of a lifetime = Priceless

Not for me. I was willing to pay the ~$9k over the course of 9 months it cost me, but I made that decision only after education, house, and autos had been paid for and my wife and I had established a comfortable beginning of a retirement fund. Basically after age of 50.

Unfortunately even if flying small single engine airplanes were free, they do not make very good sight-seeing platforms and can only take you from one airfield to another airfield. And most are cramped and noisy.

I'm afraid I have to say I wouldn't have been willing to shell out more than $25k to get a certificate to fly such aircraft.

You really can't put a price on the ability to see this. And you can't get those views out of an airliner that's for sure. The most beautiful things I've seen are Phoenix at night and popping up through a layer to see beautiful puffy clouds below you. Those views are priceless to me.

426835_10150927912426086_304277494_n.jpg

578417_10151022286636086_1588559824_n.jpg

I took a lot more hours than you, because I couldn't take the lessons as frequently to help with retention. Finally, I took out a loan, and flew 4 or 5 times a week, and got it done.

Two things helped, though:

1) In the middle of training, I got a full time job.
2) I was renting a C150 for $55 an hour.

I need to show my kid this thread to remind him what a deal he got. With Checkride and written exam about $1500 came out of his account, thanks to a generous friend who donated use of the airplane and a CFI Dad willing to put up with his "teenagerness" through the six week training ordeal.

Thankfully, we both survived. In a couple more years he may be the ATC voice I hear over the radio. We will see.

1974, brand new C-150 Commuter II, $18/hr wet. CFI I think was $8/hr.

Solo'd in 6 hrs, took my check ride at 42hrs. I had some extra solo screwing around hours.
Course completed between Labor Day and Christmas. Ground school was a college class, final was passing the written. Part of tuition costs.

I forget what the DPE fee was.

Everyone has a hobby and hobbies cost money. Some choose kids, boats, airplanes, boyfriends (to fix),girlfriends (to fix), gambling, or playing those horrible facebook games! Or some live under a rock I guess and don't do any of those above. We make choices to do something that appears fun....some (evidentally 50% of us that start finish) and of those that finish I would say never sat down and calculated exactly how much it costs but to tie two threads together, we gave up something else (kids/girlfriends/boyfirends/facebook) to pursue it. If you don't like the cost you put into it, stop the bleeding put your certificate in a frame and look at it and marvel at the thing you did that cost alot of money and choose something else.

/Rant off

We all have a certain amount of funds to play with, choose what you want to spend yours on the rest of us will do the same.

This is really helpful for those of us looking to start the training. Thanks for posting!

Find a couple of friends, buy a tired-looking C-150 that runs good, then hire a CFI to teach all three of you. I'm doing that for a group that bought a C-150 that looks like heck but runs well for $15K. They agreed to team up for back-to-back lessons to save me commute time, so gave them a slight break on the rate (including some personal time in their airplane when needed.)

Biggest benefit is having a plane available when they have time to fly, allowing them to fly frequently and progress through their training fairly quickly. Plus they'll have some cheap time-building once licensed.

Good luck with your training!

Even more interesting is to relate it to salary. If flying costs rise at an average 7% per year and you spend 10% of your income (just a made up number), how much must your income increase annually to fly as many hours as you did last year?

Or put more simply...

Take whatever amount you spent on flying this year, and multiply it by 0.07 for next year's increase in costs to fly next year.

Even more interesting is to relate it to salary. If flying costs rise at an average 7% per year and you spend 10% of your income (just a made up number), how much must your income increase annually to fly as many hours as you did last year?

Or put more simply...

Take whatever amount you spent on flying this year, and multiply it by 0.07 for next year's increase in costs to fly next year.

That assumes fuel costs will continue to rise at that rate, because that is largely the driver for increases in operating expenses, but yes, I think that is a good way to project your future flying costs. So if you're spending $15K/year on flying look for it to be $16.050+ next year. :(

Looks like 1980 - 1999 were the best times, adjusted for inflation, to learn to fly, based on gas prices.

Everyone has a hobby and hobbies cost money. Some choose kids, boats, airplanes, boyfriends (to fix),girlfriends (to fix), gambling, or playing those horrible facebook games! Or some live under a rock I guess and don't do any of those above. We make choices to do something that appears fun....some (evidentally 50% of us that start finish) and of those that finish I would say never sat down and calculated exactly how much it costs but to tie two threads together, we gave up something else (kids/girlfriends/boyfirends/facebook) to pursue it. If you don't like the cost you put into it, stop the bleeding put your certificate in a frame and look at it and marvel at the thing you did that cost alot of money and choose something else.

/Rant off

We all have a certain amount of funds to play with, choose what you want to spend yours on the rest of us will do the same.

Thank you for the reality check!

Looks like 1980 - 1999 were the best times, adjusted for inflation, to learn to fly, based on gas prices.

Interesting. I would imagine that 100LL prices have a direct correlation to gasoline prices. Can someone confirm that?

Nevermind the cost and time of getting a PP certificate, the most important thing is the proficieny thereafter and planning for that, I believe.

I took a bit of a different approach. When I got my license, I KNEW maintaining proficiency was just not going to be possible. Any way you cut it, getting you PPSEL takes a LOT of time and commitment plus the cash. So, before college when I was recently married, had a job but no kids, I got my PPSEL. I could barely afford it (to be honest, I couldn't afford it), but it was all I talked about from the day my wife first met me, so she was supportive. I joined a really nice little club - www.glenndale.net - with dirt cheap rates, a grass strip and good planes and flew before work, over lunch, after work, etc. Got my license a few weeks before starting my engineering degree.

Over next 10 years, I got current something like twice and logged maybe a total of 10 hours. I was legal but not safe for several of those 10 years and didn't log any solo time.

By 2001, I had 2 kids and an extremely intense job, but I finally had the income to support my habit. It was MUCH easier to get current than it would have been to earn my license from scratch. Within a few months of starting, I purchased a share in a partnership and was flying very regularly.

I saw in another string of posts someone (Kim maybe) asking where all the 40 year olds are. Many of us have kids, growing career, etc. Earning a license at that point in your life, even if your passionate, is really difficult. I fly (well, when I was in the US I flew) really regularly, but didn't spend any time at the airport and wasn't particularly social - wanted to be, but just didn't have the luxury of having the time.

I'm convinced that if I hadn't gotten my license when I was young and unencumbered by the demands of life, I'd probably still be pinning for a license instead of having 400 hours under my belt and having owned a share in a partnership as well as my own plane.

I'd encourage anyone who is passionate about flying to get your license as soon as possible. You can't be stupid about currency, but currency can come and go over your lifetime. Once you have your license, it is for life, it is a big accomplishment and something you can come to and walk away from as the demands of life fluctuate over time.

I got a chance to look over the invoices for my PP flight training and also cross-reference them to the hours logged in my log book. I understand/am told that the cost and time vary for student. Below is a snashop of what it was for me.

What the most recent "bell curve" and standard deviation for PP training look like I don't know.

Cost Summary
Cost of aircraft rental = $6,888 (dual and solo)
Cost of instructor = $3,374 ($2,259 in flight + $1,115 ground)
Total Cost of Aircraft Rental and Instructor = $10,262

Aircraft Flight Time Summary
Aircraft Flight Time with Instructor = 46.1 hours
Aircraft Flight Time Solo = 11.9 hours
Total Aircraft Flight Time = 58 hours

Instructor Time Summary
Instructor Time in Flight = 46.1 hours
Instructor Time on ground = 22.8 hours
Total Instructor Time = 68.9 hours

- Aircraft rented: Cessna 172 N, "6 pack"; rental cost for "block rate" was generally $119/hr.
- Instructor Fee: $49/hr.

This summary does not include the costs related to checkride, written test, charts, books, etc. That would bring the total cost for me to + $11,000.

For other non-pilots looking at this EXCELLENT thread, let me just make a comment. I'm not sure where iWantWings is flying, but in the mid-west, the cost can be significantly lower. Using Glenndale Flying Club costs (Kokomo, IN), the EXACT same training would have the following cost:

plane - $4,632 (57.9 hours at $80/hr)
instruction - $2,412 (68.9 hrs at $35/hr)
total - $7,043

You would be flying your choice of a Cessna 150, a Piper J3 Cub or a Aeronca 7AC Champ. I also have never seen such high instructor hours. Not saying anyone got cheated, just that different regions might have different practices. My instructor time dual was the same as my rental time. My instructor didn't charge for pre-flight and post-flight time. Nice guy maybe, don't know, but there may be some wiggle room if you happen to live in the right area that would realistically get your cost easily under $7k.

Note that the 3K saved would buy you 40 hours of flight time in these 3 planes after your license. Something to think about if your looking at the cost to get your license.

40 hours dual, 20 hrs solo on checkride day.

7,500 including all supplies, gas, membership dues (club enviroment), checkride fees, everything. Done in 6 months( only matters because of monthly dues) 2010

IFR 5,000 30 hrs rental plane, 10 sim, 40 instruction, all suppliesm checkride, etc. 2011

Commercial 3,500
19 hours rental plane, 14 instruction, books, checkride, etc.. 2012

all in Midwest

Find a couple of friends, buy a tired-looking C-150 that runs good, then hire a CFI to teach all three of you. I'm doing that for a group that bought a C-150 that looks like heck but runs well for $15K. They agreed to team up for back-to-back lessons to save me commute time, so gave them a slight break on the rate (including some personal time in their airplane when needed.)

Biggest benefit is having a plane available when they have time to fly, allowing them to fly frequently and progress through their training fairly quickly. Plus they'll have some cheap time-building once licensed.

Good luck with your training!

You know this might not be a bad idea. Could be something I am willing to explore, but my main concern is to afford as mechanically sound an airplane as possible. Anyone else had done this when starting to learn to fly?

I got my license on Nov 5, 2012 in a C172N.

42 hrs dual and 17 PIC.

Cost: $8,000 (club fees, rental fee (the rates went up from $95/hr to $106/hr while I was training which probably cost me an extra $300), instructor fee ($40/hr), $400 checkride and $150 for the written. I bought the King online course, books were given to me for free, kneeboard and 1 headset).

I had 59 hours when I departed for my test.

I bought a Nice Cherokee 140 VFR TTAF7700; TSMO2020. This was about 2004. One VOR/Comm; standard six pack evertying functional and clean.

I got my PPL in that plane. Gas was about $4 per gallon 8.4 gph.

After owning the plane about 9 years I can tell you the average cost of maintenance and annual inspections came to $10 per hour. That includes many improvements, new interior and such.

My cost of getting my PPL:

$33 -Fuel $4*8.4
$10-annual inspection, maintenance, improvement and oil
$ 4.50- depreciation (I sold the plane 1100 hrs later at a loss of $5000)
____
$48 per hour plane cost or almost 1/3 of what most people were spending

My instructor cost me $12 per hour. I hired him using a wanted ad in the news papers. Today I would use craigslist.

So I had about 30 hrs duel and 28 hrs solo when I got my PPL

About $2500.

Immediately after getting my PPL I started using the mogas STC and then my fuel costs dropped to about $1.60 per gallon. I got about 500 hrs in 3 years at a cost of about $20 per hour or less of fuel, $10 maintenance, $4.50 depreciation. So the next 700 hrs cost me about $3500 for every 100 hrs of flight time. That is not really a cost as every bit of it was joy riding to florida, california, NY, TX, you name it......I got to see most states in the usa at about 117 mph and 5000.'

My hangar today is $120 per month that is the only other cost. then there are the toys, gps, flight bags, head sets and junk we all love to buy.

I never paid for insurance on the plane as I paid cash for it. I figured if I crash, I'm happy to walk away and be done with it. When I later got some Non Equity partners I would have them buy insurance on the plane and be named pilots. While I was willing to walk away from aviation if I crashed, I wasn't willing to accept someone elses failure.

I would recommend anyone with the means buy a small trainer aircraft, else join a club or small partnership.

You know this might not be a bad idea. Could be something I am willing to explore, but my main concern is to afford as mechanically sound an airplane as possible. Anyone else had done this when starting to learn to fly?

Yes, I recommend it. However it might be easier to buy the plane yourself and then sell partnerships otherwise you got to many chiefs trying to pick a plane and it could delay your start.

Newer doesn't mean safer. Low time doesn't mean safer. Glass panel doesn't mean safer.

If you have $499 I'd recommend you begin your search by taking the Savvy Aviators maintenance weekend seminar. You will then be able to make a more logical and real choice of buying a nice four seat or 2 seat trainer. Once you have an idea of the airplane you want to own join the type club and learn as much as you can about the type. Then you can begin to search for the plane.

IMO-You cannot trust an A&P or IA mechanic to help you buy an airplane so arm yourself up front. You will not only fly cheaper but be a safer pilot and make better decisions spending money on maintenance where it does the most good rather than following wrong headed beliefs personified by many in the industry.

Back