Sully: liked it.

I've just started to read the book, only a few pages in but it looks like it's going to be an interesting read.

I'll see the movie when I get around to it.
I liked it well enough that I bought a copy for my Kindle after I finished reading the one that I had checked out of the library.

I saw it on Apple TV last night for the first time. If the NTSB had truthfully been that adversarial then they deserve the depiction that they got. I wanted to punch that fat bald guy right in the face.
According to Sully's co-pilot, the NTSB did not treat them like that in real life. Via the AOPA Forum:

Sullenberger's copilot Jeff Skiles writes about the movie in his "Contrails" column in EAA Sport Aviation this month, December 2016 (page 44-46).

He says that he was interviewed separately from Sully, not together, as in the movie. He says of his interview with the 8 or 9 NTSB investigators, "There was no adversarial tone in their questioning, as was depicted in the movie, there was no condescension, but there didn't need to be; it is a very intimidating process." Later he adds, "In actual fact, the NTSB investigators were completely respectful, but there is no denying that it is an adversarial situation." He says that the year-plus course of the investigation did create some stress for the crew because some of the other subjects of the investigation (airline, aircraft maker, engine maker) would be pleased to see even a small amount of liability shifted to the pilots.

He concludes that "we received a very fair and balanced investigation and report from the NTSB" and adds that it likely in part due to the fact that no lives were lost.

He also says that, unlike the the final hearing in the movie, the actual NTSB final hearing is just to announce the Board's findings to the public, not to determine them, although questions can be and were asked.

He concludes by saying that even an actor as great as Hanks could not "convey Sully's bravery, leadership, and true professionalism as I saw it on that day."

http://forums.aopa.org/showpost.php?p=1900306&postcount=167 (Requires membership)

Back