Suicide Attempt

A

Annon5

Question for Dr. Chien,

If someone attempts to commit suicide as a minor, is it possible for them to ever be able to get a medical?

Thanks,

Application Process for Medical Certification
Applicant History - Item 18. Medical History
p. Suicide attempt

A history of suicidal attempts or suicidal gestures requires further evaluation. The ultimate decision of whether an applicant with such a history is eligible for medical certification rests with the FAA. The Examiner should take a supplemental history as indicated, assist in the gathering of medical records related to the incident(s), and, if the applicant agrees, assist in obtaining psychiatric and/or psychological examinations.

possible? yes

I can almost guarantee that this will trigger a PPP workup. I had a friend in that boat. While he wasn't a child, he was a lot younger than he was a the time he was trying to get his certification. AME deferred him and the FAA wanted the usual tests: MMPI-2/Roschach etc.. and a report from a board-certified PSYCHIATRIST.

I'm going to ignore all the people above who somehow think it's funny to make fun of people with a mental illness or those who have been so depressed or frustrated as to attempt to take their own life.

I fall into the same boat as the original poster. I tried to take my own life over something STUPID, and now, many years later I have a 2nd class medical and fly often.

So, yes..it's possible. But definitely be able to document your road to treatment, drugs taken, years of counseling, etc. Talk to a qualified AME about the situation.

Shame on those people who think this is some joke. I hope you never experience the pain it takes to actually go so far as to take your own life. It's not trivial, it's not casual and it sure as hell isn't funny.

I don't think the question is whether anyone was offended or not. Did we provide the OP with any useful advice? I would say one post out of 37. The rest is noise...

Thanks to @lbfjrmd for post #7.

The MC has voted to delete the vast majority of posts in this thread. The content of these posts ranged from unhelpful to offensive and inappropriate, and in some cases also getting into personal political/religious/philosophical views, which is Spin Zone material and thus automatically prohibited. Additionally, some posts that were in response to the offending posts or quoted them were also removed.

The posts deleted were ultimately not helpful to the question posted by the OP, and in many cases they were distinctly unhelpful. While off-topic discussions are allowed in Hangar Talk and the MC allows significant leeway in going off on a tangent in other forums as well, this same behavior is not appropriate in the "Medical Topics" forum. The whole purpose of this forum is for people to be able to come in with questions or discussions that are often of a very personal nature and ask for guidance and assistance as it relates to their flying. Unfortunately, many threads in the Medical Topics sub-forum are contaminated with posts similar to those deleted from this thread.

As such, effective immediately, all posts in the "Medical Topics" forum must be on point and relevant to the question posed by the OP. Off-topic posts or tangents that are not relevant or constructive to the question asked will be deleted and warnings will be issued to the individuals who make these posts. This policy is in the same vein as the policy in The Classifieds:

The Classifieds said:
As stated in the Rules of Conduct, please do not comment on the value of the goods offered, unless specifically requested by the original poster.

This policy was added due to similar posts.

The MC is now reopening this thread with the note that the above rules apply to this and all other threads within Medical Topics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back