Suggestions for Orlando flight

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Going to plan trip to Orlando with kids for Disney and Universal for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Should be there with a few million of our closest friends. Will be first trip there by plane.
Need advise on airport and other tips for the trip from those who had been there and got the t-shirt. Best to do Kissimmee (KISM) or Orlando (KORL)? What other helpful suggestions?

Been down there once and used KISM and the Ranger Jet Center. Had a rental car reserved and they brought it to the plane once I was parked.

Have been researching KISM. Interesting to read the reviews of the FBO's. Saw some ugly things mentioned about Ranger (with an alternate posted above). Certainly cheap fuel at Kissimmee Jet Center. Signature looks to be where the stars might want to keep their plane, but a bit more expensive. Any comments on the FBO's from those who have been?

I love the folks at the Kissimmee Jet Center. Facilities not super fancy but friendly folks and very reasonable fuel and great service. I sure would use that rather than KORL.

Go to Signature (base of tower) at KISM. They are awesome. Go there all the time.

I use kism for sun n fun,Kissimmee jet center is the way to go,cheap fuel good helpful staff.

A couple of things. Some on www.beechtalk.com have suggested Winter Haven as an alternative. Geographically further, but some find it easier/cheaper.

Don't miss flying down the space shuttle runway. Plenty on here to discuss the how's.

Since I live here, I haven't flown in to do these trips. I don't think you can go wrong on any of the three airports. ISM is only 1000 stop lights from Disney. ORL is slightly more convenient to Universal. Assuming you are getting a rental car, all three are easy.

Jeez, can't remember who I used. Landed 15, FBO was on the left towards the arrival end of 15. Good experience.

IMG_0077-X2.jpg

Last edited:
I've never been to Disney or Universal, but Showalter at ORL has always worked for me. I think Universal is near SIMCOM and ORL.

Paul

I have only flown into KORL so I wont comment on any FBOs in Kissimmee, but I'll just say that Kissimmee is significantly closer to Disney for you if that matters.

I would also suggest Winter Haven (KGIF) , very friendly FBO, easy ramp parking fuel and car rental on site. Around 30 minutes easy commute to Disney.

If you prefer a class Delta field, Lakeland (KLAL) or Bartow (KBOW) also very GA friendly and convenient for Disney.

I would also suggest Winter Haven (KGIF) , very friendly FBO, easy ramp parking fuel and car rental on site. Around 30 minutes easy commute to Disney.

If you prefer a class Delta field, Lakeland (KLAL) or Bartow (KBOW) also very GA friendly and convenient for Disney.

Both nice, true, but KISM is the closest to Disney.

John

Thought about Winter Haven too. Going to LEGOLAND as second park. (We wouldn't want to miss any fun.)
Trying to fly in Saturday AM and hit Disney that morning. KISM will get us there a little quicker. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I fly into KISM whenever I have business near the parks and into KORL when I need to be in downtown Orlando. ISM is much closer to the parks.

I use Showalter every time I fly into KORL and I have used all of the FBOs at KISM. I had a bad experience at Ranger, so I won't go there anymore. It wasn't that they weren't nice, but it was less convenient for me and they did not give me confidence that they new how to handle aircraft. I have used Kissimmee Jet Center and they seemed nice but the facilities are lacking.

I now use Signature every time I go to KISM. The are a bit more expensive but they have nice facilities and have real professionals working the ramp. I have also found that if you call in advance, they will work with you on some of their fees.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Ranger at KISM has treated us well.

Oh my. When I lived in Orlando and the kids were small we had season passes to Universal and Disney. Made the mistake of going there on Thanksgiving.

Once.

And Kissimmee is MUCH more convenient to the theme parks than ORL is.

Expecting big crowds for the week there I'm sure. Hoping that most people will have to drive in on Saturday and by flying in early and hitting the park on Saturday, we can have a better / less crowded experience.
We lived in Orlando for 3 yrs and had access to free tickets. Finally broke down and went to Disney in the last week before we moved. (pre-kids)

Expecting big crowds for the week there I'm sure. Hoping that most people will have to drive in on Saturday and by flying in early and hitting the park on Saturday, we can have a better / less crowded experience.
We lived in Orlando for 3 yrs and had access to free tickets. Finally broke down and went to Disney in the last week before we moved. (pre-kids)

Hope you have a great time, but sadly I don't think you will avoid it being any less crowded by arriving early on Saturday, I'll wager due to the amount of locals who will also be hitting Disney over the weekend the car parks will be filling to near capacity before lunch time.

PS. Hope it warms up in time for your visit...Brrr...very unseasonal cold snap right now.

Oh my. When I lived in Orlando and the kids were small we had season passes to Universal and Disney. Made the mistake of going there on Thanksgiving.

Once.

And Kissimmee is MUCH more convenient to the theme parks than ORL is.

The thing we loved about season passes with kids was being able to say "We're done for today." without feeling like we wasted a whole bunch of money! And the kids knew that we would if pushed.

Not practical for those from out of town I realize.

John

We flew into KISM and used Signature last April. Great experience all around.

I lived in Apopka 25 years ago... Wife and I went to the mouse house and thought 25 bucks per adult was high... I heard it is now 6-7 times that...:hairraise::yikes:....

It's a small. small, small world.... with a huge. huge huge ticket price..:D

Back