Suggestions for GPS for PP (Renter) for around $200

Believe it or not............. It WOKE up,, and actually went into the 3D mode and displayed the elevation within 5 feet.... Not bad for an ancient unit.... It currently shows 43` 35`80 / 110`45`22 and 6410 MSL.... My deck it is sitting on is 6404 MSL. This is a Magellan 2000 handheld I bought to tune snowmobiles when we were riding up in the mountians at 13,000+ feet. It ain't a aviation unit, BUT, It is user friendly and the menu is easy to navigate. It will teach you the basics of GPS and bring you up to speed on stuff like initialization, coord system, satellite constellation lay out and enough other stuff you need for understanding the GPS concept to give you an excuse to use it on every hike you go on, and even flights too :yesnod::yesnod:.

PM me and I will ship it out to you tomorrow... I already have some prepaid U.S. Mail Priority boxes so I can eat the shipping charges. Helping up and coming pilots is what POA is all about...

Ps. You might even be able to google Magellan 2000 and print out the users manual for it. :dunno::dunno:

All I need to know is D-> :)

Ben's Magellan is not very suitable for steering clear of airspace. The best you could do with it is to keep reading out your lat/lon position and referencing that to a chart, which is slow and distracting. I would really recommend a unit with even the most basic of moving maps that shows the airspace boundaries.

And as an end-user, with even a halfway suitable device you shouldn't need to know (or worry) much about constellations and coordinate systems. I say this as a professional GPS engineer.

"D->" refers to the "Direct To" functionality where you can plot a course from your present position to a desired waypoint (such as an airport) in a straight line, and then see your position relative to that course.

If you're still looking, my Garmin 196 is in need of a new home (I just picked up an Aera 510).

The specs are at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=208#gpsmap196

Mine is in good shape, has all the OEM accessories (and a carrying case also) and takes 4 AA batteries.

Garmin sells them new for $595 and I've used units go for $300 - $375. I'll let it go for $300.

I have an ipad with skychartspro. It is a basic vfr/ifr/ approach plates, diagrams, afd, flight planner. $19.99 unlimited free updates. Shows as a regular chart not like a jeppesen/garmin gps view. It will pay for itself and my ipad over a couple years. Im sure ill get foreflight, just havent needed it because most planes I rent have a 430.

Mike

Ben's Magellan is not very suitable for steering clear of airspace. The best you could do with it is to keep reading out your lat/lon position and referencing that to a chart, which is slow and distracting. I would really recommend a unit with even the most basic of moving maps that shows the airspace boundaries.

And as an end-user, with even a halfway suitable device you shouldn't need to know (or worry) much about constellations and coordinate systems. I say this as a professional GPS engineer.

"D->" refers to the "Direct To" functionality where you can plot a course from your present position to a desired waypoint (such as an airport) in a straight line, and then see your position relative to that course.

I agree... I offered mine to her for free so she could learn the basics of GPS. It is a pretty easy unit to operate and will teach her the simple things like coords, formats and alot of other stuff. I am sure she will progress to a aviation unit as time goes on and money shows up in her life. When the next new pilot chimes into POA with an interest in GPS, Kimberly can ship it to them for a quick "learning GPS for dummies" course. :yesnod::yesnod::wink2:

Ben ( just trying to help) Haas.

I have a blackberry torch and I just don't think I could rely on service in some remote areas - can't really rely on my phone much anyhow.

I hate iPads and even saw a Toshiba tablet that I did not like - could not do simple things like internet stuff due to the android operating system. I can't "touch" anything since my fingers for some reason have no circulation or at least not enough to make that electrical connection.

Tablets are not under $200 with GPS inside are they?

Kim,

It sounds like you've discounted Foreflight and an IPhone as an option, but I want to make sure you understand something:

Yes, in flight, you do not always have a data signal for refreshing weather, but the GPS portion and moving maps work whether or not you have a signal to the ground.

Hope you find what will work best for you.

Doc

If you're still looking, my Garmin 196 is in need of a new home (I just picked up an Aera 510).

The specs are at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=208#gpsmap196

Mine is in good shape, has all the OEM accessories (and a carrying case also) and takes 4 AA batteries.

Garmin sells them new for $595 and I've used units go for $300 - $375. I'll let it go for $300.

I'm tempted to lay out the $300 myself. I like this one because I have no cigarette lighter in my plane and this one has long battery life on a set of Double A's.

Doc

I'm tempted to lay out the $300 myself. I like this one because I have no cigarette lighter in my plane and this one has long battery life on a set of Double A's.

Doc

Me either. I set up a SLA battery (used for emergency lighting, etc) as a power source. Can run my radio for hours. Should be able to plug in other items as needed.

Some folks run a solar charger on the glare shield to trickle-charge the battery in flight. Sounds like a great idea!

If Kimberly doesn't want it, you can have it for $300.

Doc

Falling in line with all the other suggestions that are not within the parameters of the question:

Just buy a plane with an IFR GPS and completely glass panel. I mean if you're going to go over budget, you might as well go over budget!

:rolleyes:

Falling in line with all the other suggestions that are not within the parameters of the question:

Just buy a plane with an IFR GPS and completely glass panel. I mean if you're going to go over budget, you might as well go over budget!

Thanks for the laugh. I luvya, man.

I used a Garmin eTrex on a flight from Denver to the Gulf Coast near Corpus Christi. I used a serial cable to load a .gpx file that contained all of the airports along my route into the GPS. I downloaded the airports from navaid.com as a .gpx file. I used EasyGPS to load the .gpx file into the GPS. I liked it. I could set up routes and it was easy to follow in the air. Navaid will also give you ground based navaids in the gpx file too, so you can navigate to VORs and NDBs.

Total Cost:
eTrex ~$100
Serial Cable ~$20
Software Free
-------------------
Total ~$120

P.S. There is some fine print. The eTrex I have only holds 500 waypoints, so I ended up writing a Perl script that parses the gpx file and creates a new file with all the airports and navaids that are within some distance of my intended route.

What's wrong with this then?

MagneticCompass.jpg

When your finger moves across the map, its a moving map. Right?

:D

Kim,

I just remembered this when reading another thread about foreflight. If you already have an IPhone, you can subscribe for a 30 day free trial of Foreflight. I did that before purchasing and it had full functionality.

Just thought I'd point this out. It would give you GPS functionality for free for a month while you're deciding on something.

Doc

If Kimberly doesn't want it, you can have it for $300.

I would not have bought it out from under Kim. I would have to think about it a little before doing it anyway. She has first refusal.

BTW, does it have up to date data currently loaded and is there a subscription fee or something when you download fresh data?

Doc

It has navigation and obstacle databases from earlier this year. I think they've both expired, but they're still adequate for most VFR use. Updates are issued every 28 days and are $49.95 each. That's normal for all the Garmin aviation units (I don't know how much the other brands charge for updates).

I would not have bought it out from under Kim. I would have to think about it a little before doing it anyway. She has first refusal.

BTW, does it have up to date data currently loaded and is there a subscription fee or something when you download fresh data?

Doc

By the time she gets the Garmin updates installed she would almost be at the price of a GTN...

Don't count too much on the internal gps of the iphone. 90 percent of the time it works all the time??

Seriously though mine has lost fix a time or two. Enough that i know i cant rely on it. On the glareshield accuracy is 5m. In my lap its about 30. Drop it on the floor and when you pick it up it will have to reacquire for a while

Don't count too much on the internal gps of the iphone. 90 percent of the time it works all the time??

Seriously though mine has lost fix a time or two. Enough that i know i cant rely on it. On the glareshield accuracy is 5m. In my lap its about 30. Drop it on the floor and when you pick it up it will have to reacquire for a while

Right. Add to this I will have to have it as a DAILY / HOURLY phone and device. The PIC flying I can afford may only amount to 1-4 flights per month. (I hope to fly more but perhaps in other people's planes as a passenger or "helper" and not PIC - they will most likely own GPS anyways).

If I cannot stand it as a PHONE then I will not buy it just to have a few times a month as an aviation tool.

It has navigation and obstacle databases from earlier this year. I think they've both expired, but they're still adequate for most VFR use. Updates are issued every 28 days and are $49.95 each. That's normal for all the Garmin aviation units (I don't know how much the other brands charge for updates).

I think I may have to consider this but truly understand if I can go without updates. The other person on here was offering me a unit with "lifetime updates".

For example, if I don't update the $49 thing - and 4 x 28 days goes by - do I pay 4 x $49? Or do I just pay $49?

Kimberly

+1 on the IPAD with foreflight. I swear when i was doing my instrument training my instructor was going to steal it from me. There's something for having your position right on the sectional/TAC/IFR chart

You live in a fantasy world. I cannot buy a plane.

Android - only a little more.

Apple? Multiple it by about 5 and you're close.
Or try times two for a iPad 1 w/ GPS.
Or try times three for an iPad 2 w/ GPS.

Wait so you are saying (and I need a new laptop anyway) that I can buy a tablet / similar item - that has GPS - and will work like a moving sectional? Does it also read my altitude or just show up as a dot? How much are the subscriptions and if you skip a month (you don't fly) can you cancel / reinstate your membership? I wish there was a per-flight one.

Or try times two for a iPad 1 w/ GPS.
Or try times three for an iPad 2 w/ GPS.

Show me an iPad 2, with GPS for 600...

Since we're throwing the iPad 1 in the ring, how about some Android 2.2 devices (which will run Naviator):

ViewSonic ViewBook (no modding needed): ~$150
SuperPad: $169.99
Nook Color (requires modding): $249

And a bunch of others - all with better hardware than the iPad 1 or 2 has currently.

Wait so you are saying (and I need a new laptop anyway) that I can buy a tablet / similar item - that has GPS - and will work like a moving sectional? Does it also read my altitude or just show up as a dot? How much are the subscriptions and if you skip a month (you don't fly) can you cancel / reinstate your membership? I wish there was a per-flight one.

Yes. You will need to buy an app (Foreflight for iPad, or Naviator or other apps for Android).

Usually costs about $70 a year or so for the devices.

Yes. You will need to buy an app (Foreflight for iPad, or Naviator or other apps for Android).

Usually costs about $70 a year or so for the devices.

Yes to which of my questions? Does it show altitude and location on a sectional chart? Or just location, as in a little moving dot? I like the idea of sectionals better than just a magenta line on a GPS. Plus I really need a new computer and a tablet may be all I need. Plus if we take photos I can share them instantly with my passenger. So many plusses. The only minus is the Android thing. I tried an android tablet and it didn't work with Flickr's website (photo tools, uploads, management). I also hate touch screens and would want a mouse / keyboard if at all possible. Oh and when Ed bought one he looked for SD card inputs and full sized USB inputs. So much to think about.

Yes to which of my questions? Does it show altitude and location on a sectional chart? Or just location, as in a little moving dot? I like the idea of sectionals better than just a magenta line on a GPS. Plus I really need a new computer and a tablet may be all I need. Plus if we take photos I can share them instantly with my passenger. So many plusses. The only minus is the Android thing. I tried an android tablet and it didn't work with Flickr's website (photo tools, uploads, management). I also hate touch screens and would want a mouse / keyboard if at all possible. Oh and when Ed bought one he looked for SD card inputs and full sized USB inputs. So much to think about.

Both the USB keyboard and USB mouse work with my tablet with no issues. I don't know how Apple's browser works with flickr. It's not the tablet's problem, it is the website's problem. As tablet devices become widespread, expect more websites to recognize their browser. Also, there is more than one browser for the Android tablets, so another one may work with it just fine.

And yes Naviator will show you on the sectional chart and give you your altitude. But you should have an altimeter in the plane anyway.

Both the USB keyboard and USB mouse work with my tablet with no issues. I don't know how Apple's browser works with flickr. It's not the tablet's problem, it is the website's problem. As tablet devices become widespread, expect more websites to recognize their browser. Also, there is more than one browser for the Android tablets, so another one may work with it just fine.

And yes Naviator will show you on the sectional chart and give you your altitude. But you should have an altimeter in the plane anyway.

An altimeter? In the plane? Imagine that.

I guess I was thinking of being lazy and comparing my altitude to that bravo ring (there are a lot of rings) so that I knew if I was below it etc . . . without having to look in too many places.

An altimeter? In the plane? Imagine that.

I guess I was thinking of being lazy and comparing my altitude to that bravo ring (there are a lot of rings) so that I knew if I was below it etc . . . without having to look in too many places.

GPS altitudes do not match with what ATC is reading you as. I have WAAS on that second unit in my panel - and while that matches the altitude in the 430 neither agree with the altimeter once I get above - 2500 AGL or so. Use the plane's altimeter, not the one on the GPS.

GPS altitudes do not match with what ATC is reading you as. I have WAAS on that second unit in my panel - and while that matches the altitude in the 430 neither agree with the altimeter once I get above - 2500 AGL or so. Use the plane's altimeter, not the one on the GPS.

Thanks. I have heard ATC a few times before call me out as traffic to another plane, and my altitude was sometimes right where they said it was but other times off by what seemed like a lot.

I appreciate you telling me to "ignore" the GPS reading though and pay more attention to my plane's altimiter. All this stuff is new to me.

You just pay $49. It's like buying a sectional chart: you buy one, keep it as long as you like (even after a more recent one has been published), and when you want a new one, you buy the most recent issue.

I typically updated the database once a year, usually if I had a big trip to unfamiliar territory coming up.

I think I may have to consider this but truly understand if I can go without updates. The other person on here was offering me a unit with "lifetime updates".

For example, if I don't update the $49 thing - and 4 x 28 days goes by - do I pay 4 x $49? Or do I just pay $49?

Kimberly

Does it show altitude and location on a sectional chart? Or just location, as in a little moving dot? I like the idea of sectionals better than just a magenta line on a GPS.

Yes and yes. Plus heading and airspeed. At least with reference to ForeFlight on the iPad/iPhone. But as discussed already, GPS altitude is not necessarily what your altimeter is reading.

Yes and yes. Plus heading and airspeed. At least with reference to ForeFlight on the iPad/iPhone. But as discussed already, GPS altitude is not necessarily what your altimeter is reading.

No. It displays groundspeed.

BrianR said:

No. It displays groundspeed.
And it is also more focused on course instead of heading. I don't have Foreflight with me right now but I don't think it has any heading outputs.

[/I]

And it is also more focused on course instead of heading. I don't have Foreflight with me right now but I don't think it has any heading outputs.

I don't know of any GPS units that display heading (unless they are getting the input from an HSI or other similar display unit).

Back