Suggestions for Flying into the Twin Cities

Reklats

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Reklats
I'm looking to fly into the Twin Cities for the first time (coming from KMSN) to visit my brother-in-law. He lives in St. Paul, so KSTP would be the closest. A couple of older threads on here led me to believe that it might be a little too upscale for a piper archer, but don't want to rule it out without getting some feedback.

So i'm looking for recomendations on which airport to fly into. I'll need to tie down overnight and obviously refuel.

Thanks,

Adam

Nah... KSTP is a pretty friendly place.

BUT, if you want more of the "Piper crowd", there is Fleming Field (KSGS) 6 miles south of KSTP. But I'm kind of partial, as it's my home base!

KSTP 100LL: $6.50 and $7.61 :yikes:

KSGS 100LL: $4.97

Also, check on the 'ramp fee', 'tiedown fee', 'right to breathe fee' and all the other goodies that come with the presence of Signature at an airport.

I usually fly into KFCM Eden Prairie which is a great GA airport on the SW side of the city. I have landed at KSTP and it's OK but not as friendly as KFCM.

Another vote for KSGS. Tie down is free (and likely you can use one of the 2 nice transient T's right up near the terminal). A crew car is also usually available. Everyone I've met on the field has been super friendly... I hadn't noticed it being Piper-Centric...

This is my backyard!

I would go to either 21D (Lake Elmo) or KSGS (Fleming Field/South St. Paul) depending on which one is closer to your destination. If you go to SGS, next door to the A/D building is the CAF hangar, if there is anybody there, you can usually just walk in and look at the P-51, B-25, and other warbirds they have in their collection. The SGS A/D building is pretty nice too and the code to get into the WiFi Internet connection is posted on the wall. SGS is pretty close to the Bravo SFC ring and the Delta airspace for KSTP so keep an eye out. :yikes:

Good $100 "hamburger" stop is KAHH, it's my default stop actually. There is a crew car and I always go to Village Pizzeria, their pizza is REALLY good. Note that the code to get access to the crew car key in AHH is no longer published on the sectional as that navigation aid is gone, but it is still published on Airnav.com :wink2:

Thanks for all the replies. I think i'll plan for KSGS with 21D as an alternate.

Flew into KSGS yesturday, and just returned home a little while ago. Top notch service, and a great facility. This was my first trip with my wife after passing my checkride, and everything worked out well.

--Adam

Hey Adam,

Glad you're getting out into the world with the club planes! Don't forget that you get an extra bonus for buying cheap fuel offsite - Has that been explained? It's a good deal, it's saved me ~10% on my flying costs on some of my longer trips.

How is Crystal (MIC)? I'm thinking of flying into there in August, because it's the closest airport to my brother's place.

Last edited:
How is Crystal (MIC)? I'm thinking of flying into there in August, because it's the closest airport to my brother's place.

Hard to spot at night, but a good easy airport. LOTS of FBOs to choose from. Avoid the grass runway :hairraise:

Hard to spot at night, but a good easy airport. LOTS of FBOs to choose from. Avoid the grass runway :hairraise:
The runways are a bit short for a major reliever but that shouldn't be a problem for most singles. And FWIW there aren't any decent roads if you want to go west from MIC on the ground. Where is the brother located?

Last edited:
The runways are a bit short for a major reliever but that shouldn't be a problem for most singles. And FWIW there aren't any decent roads if you want to go west from MIC on the ground. Where is the brother located?

All the paved runways are longer than my home field, so that won't be an issue. My brother is between MIC and MSP. Yahoo Maps says it's about a ten minute drive.

Last edited:
My brother tried to check out Crystal on the ground today, but his efforts to get to it were stymied by a lot of road construction, so he's going to look at Flying Cloud next, which is the second closest airport to his place. According to Airnav, there are six places to buy fuel there, with four of them advertising tiedowns. Any advice?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFCM

[edit] I gather from a previous thread that Elliott Aviation is the only FBO that has actual tiedowns. I just called them, and they said the facility fee is only $10, waived with a ten gallon fuel purchase. A tiedown is only $5/night for a 172, and I can have them put it in a hangar if hail is expected, at a cost of $68/night while it's in the hangar. This is starting to look reasonable.

Last edited:
My brother tried to check out Crystal on the ground today, but his efforts to get to it were stymied by a lot of road construction, so he's going to look at Flying Cloud next, which is the second closest airport to his place. According to Airnav, there are six places to buy fuel there, with four of them advertising tiedowns. Any advice?

[edit] I gather from a previous thread that Elliott Aviation is the only FBO that has actual tiedowns. I just called them, and they said the facility fee is only $10, waived with a ten gallon fuel purchase. A tiedown is only $5/night for a 172, and I can have them put it in a hangar if hail is expected, at a cost of $68/night while it's in the hangar. This is starting to look reasonable.
Elliot, ASI, and Executive have significant hangar space but I don't know what the others charge. Elliot also generally has the most expensive fuel at the airport. Virtually all the FBOs have ramp space but there are no tiedowns on the ramps, just chocks. The least expensive fuel is at ModernAvionics which shares space with InflightPilotTraining. They have limited ramp space there. If you have your own anchors, Executive has some grass areas you can park in as well.

I have used Thunderbird Aviation on several occasions. It is a humble FBO but they have always treated me very well and the last time I used a hangar it was cheap.
http://www.thunderbirdaviation.com/companyinfo/kfcm.asp

http://www.thunderbirdaviation.com/fbo/storage.asp

Last edited:
Actually, the detour near KMIC isn't that bad. There's a section of County Road 81 that's closed, and the detour is pretty painless. I've attached a map.

Attachments

• Crystal detour.jpg
    Crystal detour.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 9
Virtually all the FBOs have ramp space but there are no tiedowns on the ramps, just chocks.

Does anyone know if Elliott has actual tiedowns or not? I forgot to ask them this on the phone. Tie down anchors would be sufficient, as I have ropes I could bring.

If you have your own anchors, Executive has some grass areas you can park in as well.

I do have anchors.

I went into KSTP a few weeks ago because my female friend who was driving alone to pick me up said that KSGS was in an area that was sort of, "Ghetto." Since this was my first visit to the area I had to trust her judgment. I ended up at Signature because they were the only FBO open after 11pm. They didn't charge me any fees for staying two nights and there was a 50 cents per gallon discount for fuel because I arrived during a weekend. It was still very expensive fuel, however.

Don't open another FBO at Flying Cloud. ;)

I went into KSTP a few weeks ago because my female friend who was driving alone to pick me up said that KSGS was in an area that was sort of, "Ghetto." Since this was my first visit to the area I had to trust her judgment. I ended up at Signature because they were the only FBO open after 11pm. They didn't charge me any fees for staying two nights and there was a 50 cents per gallon discount for fuel because I arrived during a weekend. It was still very expensive fuel, however.

I moved from St. Paul to New Haven, and I have to say hearing any part of the Twin Cities described as 'ghetto' makes me smile, now.

Does anyone know if Elliott has actual tiedowns or not? I forgot to ask them this on the phone. Tie down anchors would be sufficient, as I have ropes I could bring.
They do have tiedowns in the grass but I don't know how well they're kept up (rope condition etc) or whether there are any left for transients.

Actually, the detour near KMIC isn't that bad. There's a section of County Road 81 that's closed, and the detour is pretty painless. I've attached a map.

Thanks. I called Elliott again this morning, and they said they do have ropes on their tiedowns, but I sent a link to that attachment to my brother, just in case I have to divert for some reason.

Back