Suggestions for flight/pilot bag

Strutwipe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Strutwipe
Hi all. The old man's B-Day is coming up and my wife wants to get me a flight/pilot bag. I'm still in the PPL status but my plan is to hit two fly-ins a month, which means at least one over night stay. Any suggestions or better still, stay away from X brand/model.

A really nice laptop bag serves me well. And since it doesn’t have the words pilot or aviation associated with it, it’s substantially less expensive.

Following the Alton Brown philosophy of multi-tasking equipment, my original flight bag was my Eagle Creek luggage small carry-on. Now I use a backpack from Target. Works great - holds headset, charts, iPad, hand-held, etc. if I'm not flying the cherokee. No need to spend money on a flight bag - use it for avgas or extend your [tablet] [aviation chart software] subscription.

My wife bought me a really nice Sporty's flight bag (don't see it in the current line up). It does very well for packing enough clothes and gear for a two or three day trip.

Years ago AOPA was giving a smaller flight/pilot bag as part of the renewal deal. It has been quite an awesome bag. I can get everything in it I need for a same day trip and for keeping up with items I'm likely to use on nearly every flight.

You might consider a flight back pack instead of a carry bag. When you go to Sun-N-Fun or OSH a backpack is easier to handle than a tote bag.

The most important question - How much junk does he take? I get into planes with pilots for flight reviews and have to ask if we are going camping.

Back