Suggestions for a Comms System "Update"

Scott Ziller

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scottziller
Hello All. I am a student taking lessons in my grandpa's '75 Cessna 172, and you can only hook one headset into the comms. This wasn't a problem with my first instructor b/c he had a little black box that he velcro'ed to the floor that we both plugged into and could talk during flight. Unfortunately he passed away, and my new instructor doesn't have anything like that. So we can't talk to each other through our headsets (instead yelling over the sound of the engine), and he can't talk to the tower if necessary; so I need to get one. However, I obviously don't know what it's called, and there are so many variations of cords and cables and I'm not sure which one will work for what I need. I know the best thing to do would be to have the aircraft's comms updated more permanently, but I don't have the money or time for the delays in my training that will cause. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your last CFI passed away, sound like he doesn't need his intercom box anymore :dunno:

Probably something like this:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/918

there are cheaper and smaller ones, just look for portable intercom's. The one above would let you also plug in your phone or tablet to record the audio of your sessions. Remember they will need batteries OR plug into a cig lighter.

Earlier in my training the co-pilot's PTT switch wire broke. I had suddenly had to do all the radio calls...that was actually a very good thing!!! I also found a much nicer switch and installed / fixed it myself which was also a good experience. Still not sure if that needs to be signed off? But it has already lasted way more flights/presses than the previous same-issue repair by the avionics shop in December.

A new dedicated audio panel + labor would probably easily exceed $2K.

Thanks for all the responses guys. The portable intercom is exactly what I'm looking for. Now just need to choose the one I want.

I've got a Sigtronics, been using it for almost 20 yrs....works great.

Back