Suggested Replacement Attitude Indicator

FLA-MAV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLA
I throw this out to the collective PoA genius.

I have a 1973 Piper Arrow II and am going to replace the attitude indicator with a new vacuum-driven AI. The mechanic/owner of the repair shop recommended the brand Sigma Tek for the replacement.. My only personal requirement is that I want the replacement to have degrees of pitch up/down for more precision instrument flying. Questions:

A. What would your recommended brand be and why?

B. How much should I expect to pay for the instrument?

C. Do you recommend a specific aviation parts supplier?

D. Are there any particular brands I should avoid?

Many thanks.

Tom

When mine died, I got an RC Allen 22-7 from Aircraft Spruce, and have had no reason not to repeat the choice of either instrument or supplier. Their prices are at least as good as anyone else's, and their customer service is excellent.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rcallenagvac.php
I would also suggest that unless your Arrow has that 3-light warning system (VAC/ALT/OIL, IIRC), you get one with a vacuum warning flag. I've seen too many folks after a vacuum failure in the sim try to follow the AI/HI and ended up either all over the sky or out of control.

BTW, I'm assuming you do not have an autopilot hooked up to the AI -- that would change your options.

No auto pilot hooked up to the AI, you are correct. Good call on the vacuum warning flag. Thank you.

Be careful asking for ideas. I was going to put in a used 430w, somehow at 4 times the price I am about to pull the trigger on an Aspen 1000pro, a gdl88 and a 750.

Seriously I am glad I got the advice about the Aspen. It is going to make Dir a nice setup and I am told I will love the hsi.
Jim

Forget going 'new' with any mechanical gyro. If I were you this is what I would do: OH-exchange the wonky AI, buy an RC Allen 2600-3 electronic AI with inclinometer option http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca2600-3.php, place it in the primary AI hole and use the cannon plug of the electric TC in order to power it (doing so also places it in the main battery bus, which is where you want this puppy in case the alternator craps the bed), then place your OH vacuum AI in the current spot of your electric TC; this may require extending the hoses going to your vacuum AI to reach the TC spot. Discard TC. It's also a modular installation, in that you can just remove the RC 2600 easily and place the TC back when you sell the airplane, and install your digital AI into your next aircraft purchase with great ease.

Alternatively you can do an even easier plug and play installation by placing the RC2600 in the TC location, and placing the OH vacuum AI in its original hole, no hose refitting required in this case of course. I don't like this setup in that I want the more accurate instrument in my primary hub-and-spoke position. Either way, you will gain safety and redundancy in IMC, stay 'legal' and also gain much better attitude information than the mechanical AI can provide in its best day. That is the setup I intend on installing immediately upon finding my replacement aircraft. It's a much cheaper option than going the Aspen route, which I think is ideal, but far too expensive for my budget. I could afford a dynon PFD setup for the same amount as the RCA 2600 + mechanical OH setup, but alas the FAA prices me out of a safer option. Govt for ya....

I googled RCA 22-7 and this is the first YT link I found..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bfuXe6TIoA
I did that stuff solo and it was funny to get the leans and my heart rate up in IMC when I was childless and my net worth was that of a broke college student (no renters insurance either, talk about running with scissors) and I didn't know any better. But that's not exactly what I want to be doing in IMC in 2013 with family on board, on a recreational XC flight no less. You gain nothing going that route. Needle-ball-airspeed and decyphering/filtering false information in flight is like landing a taildragger. It's harder, more squirrely, nobody cares you can do it, there's no prize for doing it right, and when you screw it up (which is a high probability for those who fly less than 50% of their yearly hours in IMC) you come out the clag 50 deg nose down 140 deg bank staring at trees.

Everybody is an internet partial panel tough guy. The reality is most crap their shorts when this happens in real life and are years removed from recurrent training in N-B-A. There's no reason they have to deal with this in 2013. But you do have to pay in order to get to a modern level of safety, at least in the certified racket. Vacuum-mechanical gyros in IMC?....tumblr_inline_ml3l6ub3Z11qz4rgp.jpg

Back