Sugesstions for Northern California

bcpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
califlyboy
I am going to be building time in Northern california.
Any suggestions on cool places to visit.

The mexican food at Watsonville is pretty good. A nice steak dinner at Harris Ranch is also nice if you don't mind the runway being a little narrow.

Beeb's sports bar at Livermore is decent as well.

Best Tour - Bay Tour
Best Coastal Airports - Half Moon Bay (KHAF), Shelter Cove, Oceano(L52)
Best Sierra Foothill - Columbia O22 (Gold Country), Jackson KJAQ, Placerville KPVF
Best Sierra Nevada - South Lake Tahoe (KTVL), Big Bear (L35)
Museum Airports - Castle (KMER), Palm Springs (KPSP)
LA Experience - Santa Monica KSMO
San Diego Experience - Montgomery KMYF or Gillespee KGEE Trolley to SD
San Francisco Experience - Oakland KOAK and BART to SF

PHIL

Thanks for the suggesstions guys, pls keep them coming......

Does anyone know if I have to pick up someone in KOAK, where can I stop for a few minutes & pick up passengers & not pay the ramp fees, is it possible??

Also, if someone wants to come along, they are welcome. I am looking for flying partners to share & fly. I fly out of EDU but can pick up or meet anywhere in the area or along the way.....

Last edited:
Kaiser Air at OAK will do that for you. You might have to buy a little fuel, but I doubt it.

EDU is the best. Flown out of there myself when I was living in Davis.

Jonesy at Napa Valley for a good steak.

Are they open again? Heard they closed a few months ago.

Half Moon Bay is a terrific food stop but hard to get into in the summer. Seems to be fogged in most of the day, clearing later afternoon. Worth a stop.
Shelter Cove is clear more often and a remote hideaway up the coast.
Have fun!

PS: I fly out of EDU too, recognize the plane in the Avatar?

Last edited:
If you're going to be building time, why not get out of the nest and go somewhere? :dunno:

In northern CA, I enjoyed my stop at Gravelly Valley. Completely opposite of the city hustle and bustle - I had to chase a pair of elk off the runway before landing. :) Be forewarned, though, the name is apt, except some of the rocks on the runway are larger than I'd consider "gravel". Make sure you're allowed to go to unpaved runways by insurance and rental agreements if you do this.

For food: Yep, the Mexican at Watsonville was good, and I'll be stopping at Harris Ranch on my next trip out there.

If you want to go a bit further south, Catalina Island would be neat.

If you want to gamble some of your flying money away, Reno and Vegas are within a pretty easy reach. ;)

As for ideas a bit further afield: Sedona, AZ (and Meteor Crater too); the Grand Canyon; Bryce Canyon; Canyonlands... Lots of truly awesome places to go if you reserve the plane for a couple of days.

Half Moon Bay.

Gorgeous airport (photo taken from a plane, that white corner is the wing):

6048828340_fce8fbb629_b.jpg

Jonesy at Napa Valley for a good steak.

Double check before you go! It was a few years ago. I'll second the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater. Wish we were able to to Sedona and Catalina! We did SF and Grand Canyon on two different trips, and used different rental outfits for each.

Half Moon Bay.

Gorgeous airport (photo taken from a plane, that white corner is the wing):

They also have an enormous golf ball tee'd up and just waiting. Not sure what club you'd want to use. Probably something around a 3500 iron.

Kimberly,
Did you know you were almost directly over Maverick's when you shot that photo? Have flown out to watch the surf contest but it was not a good year. Looking forward to seeing the really huge waves there one day.
Rik

Half Moon Bay is a terrific food stop but hard to get into in the summer. Seems to be fogged in most of the day, clearing later afternoon. Worth a stop.
Shelter Cove is clear more often and a remote hideaway up the coast.
Have fun!

PS: I fly out of EDU too, recognize the plane in the Avatar?

I do recognize the plane...... Can I get a ride in it.. I will pay for fuel & Lunch...

Kimberly,
Did you know you were almost directly over Maverick's when you shot that photo? Have flown out to watch the surf contest but it was not a good year. Looking forward to seeing the really huge waves there one day.
Rik

I did not know that. When is the surf contest this year? I want to fly to Half Moon Bay after I get my cert just so I can walk to that horse rental place and "solo" a horse on the beach for 2 hours. If you get there before they open (before 8am) and you tell them you own / ride horses, or have volunteered there with the horses, they won't waste the cost of sending out a guide with you and then you have the beach all to yourself. Nothing like running a horse on the sand, and into the surf, alone - just the best thing on earth.

I do recognize the plane...... Can I get a ride in it.. I will pay for fuel & Lunch...

Can't pass up that offer! Send me a PM and we'll set it up. Who was your instructor at CAFF?

Kimberly,
They set a period of several months around New Year's. Last year started earlier in November. Then they wait for the right conditions.
Here is the web site where you can see some scary pictures and sign up for email alerts like I did. Was out of town the days they ran 2010 but it was big I here.
http://www.maverickssurf.com/contest/0910contest.php

Horses on the beach sounds great too! Have fun.

Hurry up with that rating! :yesnod:

Kimberly,
They set a period of several months around New Year's. Last year started earlier in November. Then they wait for the right conditions.
Here is the web site where you can see some scary pictures and sign up for email alerts like I did. Was out of town the days they ran 2010 but it was big I here.
http://www.maverickssurf.com/contest/0910contest.php

Horses on the beach sounds great too! Have fun.

Hurry up with that rating! :yesnod:

Hurry does not seem to apply in my training. I started in late January, never missed a week (unless wx). It will happen when it happens. Hoping for Aug. 27 though.

Best Coastal Airports - Half Moon Bay (KHAF), Shelter Cove, Oceano(L52)
Best Sierra Foothill - Columbia O22 (Gold Country), Jackson KJAQ, Placerville KPVF
Best Sierra Nevada - South Lake Tahoe (KTVL), Big Bear (L35)
Museum Airports - Castle (KMER), Palm Springs (KPSP)
San Francisco Experience - Oakland KOAK and BART to SF
These are great suggestions, thanks!
On my personal list to do one day:
"Coastal" - Bonny Doon - it's Private but hopefuly I can get a permission
Foothills - Pine Mountain Lake E45 - rent a cabin
Sierras - Lee Vinning Q24 - Mono lake. I was there before, saw the flies, the main attraction is mountains and flying over them.
North - Lassen (Bumpass Hell) - Actually the place were I flew a piston single for the first time, as a passenger.
Museums - Chino
If I ever fly to SF though, I'm going to try SQL (like a boss).

Back