Successful Search And Rescue Mission

flyguy_17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
flyguy_17
I fly as a volunteer pilot for my local Search And Rescue organization that is ran through the sherrif's office. I got called out yesterday for a search for a missing person and was able to locate the subject within 20 minutes of wheels up! The start of the search area was only about 10 miles from the airport. It was imparitive to find this guy as quick as possible given he had been missing since midnight last night, was intoxicated at the time he went missing, was not reported by his "friends" till 9 hours later (11 hours till the time I was paged), and it was 105 degrees and he was without water...not a good combination and had the potential to turn deadly...but this story had a good ending due to locating him quickly, and after losing count of how many circles I flew around him to maintain visual for about 40 minutes, guided in ground troops to his rescue. Really made me wish I had a helo at that point to pick him up, of which I've been trying to persuade the sherriff to fund lol :D, or at least a bush plane with some tundra tires, but since that is highly unlikely I am going over the idea of being able to drop a rescue package from the plane (bottle of water, protein bar, 2 way radio, Written instructions, smoke flare, ect.) Soooo...anyone have any experience/pointers with dropping objects in a controlled manner? I'm thinking some type of padded box with a small parachute like that of a large model rocket. I have lots of open area here to make practice drops so I guess what I really need to do is just get out and do it and learn what techniques work best and figure out the timing of it all.

Anyone else on here get the oportunity to fly SAR Missions? It is some of my favorite flying and has been such a huge asset to our SAR Team! So far I have a great success record, in fact every mission that has actually had said missing person in the search area, I have located, usually within the first 30 minutes on scene. Such a great feeling to have the oportunity to help out!

Can't help you with the SAR missions, as I've never flown one. But I would be interested in learning more about the type of missions you fly and what part of the country you're in.

It sounds like you have a great success record. Keep up the great work!

Thanks David! My home base is KBAM in northern Nevada. Its high desert terain/climate here with an airport elevation of 4532 and mountain peaks pushing 10K and summer temps well into the tripple digits, we deal with some high DA, along with a pretty nasty winter climate on the opposite end of the scale. Of coarse those mountains are where probably 75% of our searches take place...a challenge in a 172, but I make it work. The majority of my missions are to locate lost hunters/outdoors people that never returned when or where they were supposed to, often times due to a broken down/stuck vehicle. I normaly take a passenger for a spotter so I can concentrate on the flying aspect, especially when dealing with the mountainous terrain, but more often than not I spot the subject before my spotter, which I suppose I can credit to the experience of visual clues and pure luck lol. I normally fly a grid pattern and just modify it to fit the terrain. (Always starting at the top of a mountain range and working my way down due to the lack of HP to outclimb the rising mountains) I recently got the funding for a com box that allows me to plug in my handheld police radio to my headset to manage comms between Incident Command, my guys on the ground, and maintain air to air comms...and it completly proved itself today! I also got the team to install an Icom air frequency base station in our portable incident command unit trailer so I can be sure to have good communication, even in remote areas. That was our biggest challenge when I first started flying these missions...trying to relay important info via cell phone under the headset passed on from sherrifs office dispatch to our ground units wasn't the most efficient haha. Anyways, I sure do enjoy the opportunity to help out and feel like I actually can make a difference and put a good mark on the face of aviation. And its nice to be an important and helpful part of a group that is out to help others. :)

Last edited:
Do you have a formal agreement with the sheriff on doing this, with cost reimbursement etc. or is this something done on a ad-hoc basis ?

Sounds like you are running an effective 1-man SAR organization there. Don't tell CAP :rofl: .

I am a formal member of the Lander County Sheriff's Office Search And Rescue, but all flights are conducted on a volunteer basis. And no no, dont get me wrong, I dont mean at all to sound like I am a one man show...our program takes the dedication of the entire team and we work very well together :)

Should have left it to the trained pros at CAP why they'd just about be finishing the preflight paperwork now/sarcasm.
When you play with dropping stuff be careful flying and dropping, and beware early deployment of a parachute can put it on the tail.

:rofl: I wasn't gonna say it, but someone had to :lol:

Ok thanks for the heads up...was this the voice of experience? :wink2: And any good ideas on how to prevent such occurences?

My experience is with dropping myself with a parachute, no idea on rigging objects. Maybe just wrap the care package in a sleeping bag? A sleeping bag can always be useful, when in dire straights. Also the bigger the parachute/slower the rate of descent the more wind drift is a factor.

Hey now there is an idea!...my spotter can also be a L.A.L.O. Insertion Rescue Team! lol Very good points for concideration on the parachute system, I'm sure it will take a lot of practice to get it right. Thanks!

I am a formal member of the Lander County Sheriff's Office Search And Rescue, but all flights are conducted on a volunteer basis. And no no, dont get me wrong, I dont mean at all to sound like I am a one man show...our program takes the dedication of the entire team and we work very well together :)

Not a one-man show, but it sounds like you are the 'air-wing' of your outfit.

How long does it usually take for your ground team to get to the folks once you spot them ? Particularly in mountaineous terrain, I am not sure that the potential benefit from a bottle of water and a energy bar isn't outweighed by the risk to your target from trying to retrieve the package after it has bounced down into a drainage.

If I did something like that, I wouldn't dink around with a chute, just puts you at risk of your care package drifting up the hill in the thermals. Cushion the pack well, pack a space blanket or small tarp into the thing and make it small enough that you can drop it from a 172 window. Do some practice bombing runs.

I recently got the funding for a com box that allows me to plug in my handheld police radio to my headset to manage comms between Incident Command, my guys on the ground, and maintain air to air comms...and it completly proved itself today!

Flyguy_17, where did you get your comm box from? It sounds like you're pleased with it! I had one built by a vendor in upstate NY, and it's never quite worked right...designed to interface Motorola handhelds into the ICS. Mine's designed with heli plugs and hooks two headsets into the box so it's not an off-the-shelf one. My business consists a bit of riding in the back of helicopters orchestrating photo and cinema work, so I had high hopes for using the interface instead of a surveillance earpiece tucked under my headset. After a few attempts to get it going right I gave up...then I found a Motorola radio to Bluetooth adapter, and paired that with my Zulu headset. That works alright but I'd still like a hardwired solution. So, any feedback? Thanks!

Should have left it to the trained pros at CAP why they'd just about be finishing the preflight paperwork now/sarcasm.

Nice straw man you have there. Did you build it yourself? :rolleyes:

Nice straw man you have there. Did you build it yourself? :rolleyes:

No I made a joke, hey your uniform is wrong, better get that fixed or you won't be invited on the anti sub patrol.

Flyguy.... Go on line and search for info on air drop techniques. I have experience in deploying pumps and rafts from aircraft, ( I am a retired USCG aviator), and working out the "cast" or distance travelled before the payload changes from ballistic flight to under canopy flight, is something that makes all the difference in your accuracy. Once under canopy your payload is subject to winds of course. If you are dropping light items, (handheld radio, a few water bottles etc) and they are properly packaged, a heavy wide streamer (12-16 inches, and 8-10 feet long) will work very well and nearly eliminate drift from wind. Practice is required of course and terrain permitting you want to drop into the wind. Good Luck!

x2 on the streamer, help slow decent, help target find the payload and less chance of harmful entanglement with the tail

Flyguy_17, where did you get your comm box from? It sounds like you're pleased with it! I had one built by a vendor in upstate NY, and it's never quite worked right...designed to interface Motorola handhelds into the ICS. Mine's designed with heli plugs and hooks two headsets into the box so it's not an off-the-shelf one. My business consists a bit of riding in the back of helicopters orchestrating photo and cinema work, so I had high hopes for using the interface instead of a surveillance earpiece tucked under my headset. After a few attempts to get it going right I gave up...then I found a Motorola radio to Bluetooth adapter, and paired that with my Zulu headset. That works alright but I'd still like a hardwired solution. So, any feedback? Thanks!

Mike, I went through a company called Tiger Performance Products (They are located in NY and is sounds like you possibly have the same setup as mine?) I called them and told them my situiation and needs and they built a box for me. It is basically the same as this: http://store.tigerperformance.com/air-crew-interface-drop-box-single-radio.aspx

I also use a motorola hand-held police radio. They made adapters for my spacific radio model and my GA Headset plugs. It did take me a bit of getting used to with the 3 position switch, one position Isolates me from the Aircraft ICS yet allows me to transmit on the handheld with the PTT, One position allows full time tie in to the Aircraft ICS but doesn't allow transmittion on the handheld, And the 3rd position is a spring return momentary on of the Aircraft ICS. It would be nice to be able to transmit on the handheld without being isolated from the ICS, and also when I do transmit via the PTT, my voice does not come through the headset, therefore my spotter does not hear what I am saying to Incident Command or our ground troops, so they get a one sided conversation and I usually have to repaeat to them and let em know whats going on. I should probably call Tiger Tech Support and see if that could be changed. But all in all it works well. Before buying this system, I did look into a bluetooth option, which would have been very nice for the bility to pair my cell phone in and be able to call other contacts that dont have a radio if I needed to or was out of handheld range. But that system was decided against because of the having to pair a dongle hooked to the handheld every time...I wanted something quick, easy, and hardwired.

Threefingeredjack, Thanks for your experienced input and ideas! That makes a lot of sense, I'll be sure to get out and try that. I like the idea of no chute and having to worry about where the wind will carry it after deployment. Also fond of the idea of not catching it on the tail! :yesnod:

Not a one-man show, but it sounds like you are the 'air-wing' of your outfit.

How long does it usually take for your ground team to get to the folks once you spot them ? Particularly in mountaineous terrain, I am not sure that the potential benefit from a bottle of water and a energy bar isn't outweighed by the risk to your target from trying to retrieve the package after it has bounced down into a drainage.

If I did something like that, I wouldn't dink around with a chute, just puts you at risk of your care package drifting up the hill in the thermals. Cushion the pack well, pack a space blanket or small tarp into the thing and make it small enough that you can drop it from a 172 window. Do some practice bombing runs.

You could lable me with the 'Air-Wing' of the Team as I am the only member with wings. I usually get the first call and the question is "Is the weather flyable and how quick can you be airborn?"

To answer your question, timeframe is completly conditional due to many factors including if/how far ahead of the ground team I launched, how far out the search are is, terrain, weather, location, ect. Often times the ground-pounders are on scene within an hour or 2 of location of the subject. Depending on the situation, if I have enough fuel, I will remain on scene to maintain visual and guide the team in to the precise location. But I have had situations where the ground units cannot access the area for many hours. I even had one in another county not long ago that after flying for about 4 hours, 1.5 of those after dark, I located the missing person, yet the rescue team from that county decided not to go retrieve him till daylight the next day. Now obviosly I couldn't make a drop after dark, but just getting to the point that sometime circumstances occure that can cause quite a bit of time to pass between finding a person and them being rescued. But I definitly agree, the drop would definitly have to be on a case by case basis and be well thought out and determined if necessary and determined if it truely would be helpful at that point. I just would like to have that option.

I also use a motorola hand-held police radio. They made adapters for my spacific radio model and my GA Headset plugs. It did take me a bit of getting used to with the 3 position switch, one position Isolates me from the Aircraft ICS yet allows me to transmit on the handheld with the PTT, One position allows full time tie in to the Aircraft ICS but doesn't allow transmittion on the handheld, And the 3rd position is a spring return momentary on of the Aircraft ICS.

The 182RGs sold as surplus from the FBI had a law-enforcement radio wired into the aircrafts audio panel. Similarly, the CAP 182s have the CAP FM radio wired into the audio panel.

If the use of your plane for this SAR purpose is somewhat permanent, it may be worthwhile to have the law enforcement handheld hardwired into the planes audio-panel (as well as a an external antenna for improved range).

Dave, I dont mean to make myself out as a hero at all. I just love doing it and it gets me jazzed :)

Weilke, that would be sooo nice to have!, and I did look at that option when I started looking for ways to improve my comms, but unfortunately I rent from my buddy that owns the FBO here, and although I am usually the only one who flys this particular airplane, occasionally someone else does, and due to that the Sheriff's Office will not allow one of their radios to be wired in.

I rent from my buddy that owns the FBO here, and although I am usually the only one who flys this particular airplane, occasionally someone else does, and due to that the Sheriff's Office will not allow one of their radios to be wired in.

Well, all they would have is the pigtails for the antenna and the mic and headphone jacks sticking out of the panel and an empty radio box. When you have a mission, you bring the handheld with you and screw in the BNC connector for the antenna and the two jacks. Of course, your buddy would have to be ok with his plane sprouting an extra VHF antenna and using something like the DME input on the audio-panel for the LE radio (btw. there may be some FCC isssues involved in using a LE radio from a plane without a specific station license. I doubt anyone would care in the wilds of Nevada though :) ) Dont know how the transmit would be wired in though, unless the audio panel has a com3 position, there may not be a way to get your headsets signal to the handheld.

This would not so much be for convenience as it would improve your ability to safely conduct the flights.

Last edited:
That certainly would be nice for several factors, including the added range/reception from an external antenna and the cleaning up of all the cords! I have about 10 feet of cord splayed across my lap for now lol. But as far as safety goes I think my current setup pretty much covers that. I plug it all in when I strap in, the handheld goes in the pocket of my kneeboard and the com box has a clip that I attach it with to my shoulder harness where its easy for me to reach the isolation switch and PTT. Ohh and shhh dont tell the FCC ;) ...maybe if they do find out I can wiggle my way outta trouble since any mission I fly is concidered official police business lol

...maybe if they do find out I can wiggle my way outta trouble since any mission I fly is concidered official police business lol

It may be as simple as adding your name or the aircraft to whatever license the sheriffs department has. LE radios are used from agancy owned helicopters all the time, the problem is not going to be one of it being illegal, just one of documentation. Given your remote location, the odds of interfering with someone elses transmissions are pretty close to zero.

Mike, I went through a company called Tiger Performance Products (They are located in NY and is sounds like you possibly have the same setup as mine?) I called them and told them my situiation and needs and they built a box for me. It is basically the same as this: http://store.tigerperformance.com/air-crew-interface-drop-box-single-radio.aspx

I also use a motorola hand-held police radio. They made adapters for my spacific radio model and my GA Headset plugs. It did take me a bit of getting used to with the 3 position switch, one position Isolates me from the Aircraft ICS yet allows me to transmit on the handheld with the PTT, One position allows full time tie in to the Aircraft ICS but doesn't allow transmittion on the handheld, And the 3rd position is a spring return momentary on of the Aircraft ICS. It would be nice to be able to transmit on the handheld without being isolated from the ICS, and also when I do transmit via the PTT, my voice does not come through the headset, therefore my spotter does not hear what I am saying to Incident Command or our ground troops, so they get a one sided conversation and I usually have to repaeat to them and let em know whats going on. I should probably call Tiger Tech Support and see if that could be changed. But all in all it works well. Before buying this system, I did look into a bluetooth option, which would have been very nice for the bility to pair my cell phone in and be able to call other contacts that dont have a radio if I needed to or was out of handheld range. But that system was decided against because of the having to pair a dongle hooked to the handheld every time...I wanted something quick, easy, and hardwired.

Flyguy, yep that's the same company mine is from. Maybe I just dreamt up something too complicated, and they thought it could be done but failed in execution. I'm out over $1k total on the box, and despite an attempt of theirs to fix/upgrade it, still nothing. Maybe I need to send it to an avionics guy to see if it's impedance issues or what. Thanks for all of the detail on your box, and glad it works well! Shame handhelds don't generate a "sidetone" but that's a small issue.

Back