Success rate of off-airport deadstick landings

Skepilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skepilot
I’m trying to find data on the success rate of off-airport deadstick landings. I’m having trouble finding the data I need. I’ve checked the NTSB’s General Aviation Accident Dashboard and CAROL, as well as AOPA’s Richard G. McSpadden (formerly Nall) Report, but neither allow me to filter the way I need.

I’d basically need to filter for single engine piston airplanes, powerplant failure and off-airport landing, then fatalities or major injuries. Any suggestions on how I can find this data?

(PS: I’m looking for hard data, not anecdotes or opinions.)

Yeah, that's always the trouble. The only thing I could find was this article: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/students/flighttestprep/skills/emergency-landings

First the author delineated the difference between precautionary landing, forced landing and ditching. Then he compared the fatality rates:

The rate for precautionary landings is 0.06 percent. If you recognize a developing engine problem and can make a precautionary landing, you and your passengers will likely survive. The fatality rate for forced landings is roughly 10 percent, more than 1,600 times greater than precautionary landings. Ditchings have the worst rate, about 20 percent.

Every landing in a glider is "dead stick", and there are a lot of very successful off airport landings. It is part of the training.

I’m trying to find data on the success rate of off-airport deadstick landings. I’m having trouble finding the data I need. I’ve checked the NTSB’s General Aviation Accident Dashboard and CAROL, as well as AOPA’s Richard G. McSpadden (formerly Nall) Report, but neither allow me to filter the way I need.

I’d basically need to filter for single engine piston airplanes, powerplant failure and off-airport landing, then fatalities or major injuries. Any suggestions on how I can find this data?

Download the NTSB accident database, and run your analyses in Access... and transfer to Excel, if you feel more comfortable there. The database includes a dictionary that defines every parameter; see if it's got the kind of thing you want to search for. Don't recall an "off airport" flag. There are additional flags for the type of issues encountered, but I haven't had much luck with those.

In my case, I had extracted key information on homebuilt accidents from Access, and transferred it to Excel. I then reviewed every accident and established a cause.

I then took all the homebuilt engine-failure cases, and set up a new table in Access. Combined an accident narratives report with a table that allowed me to manually identify the phase of flight and the terrain the airplane eventually landed in. Here's what it looked like:
1703360710614.png
Went through 400+ separate accidents, noting the conditions for each.

Here's the basic result:
1703360895813.png
Note that this is just homebuilts...not a bad subject for this analysis, because homebuilts suffer engine failures about twice as often as production-type airplanes. Didn't break out precautionary landings, though.

The above graphic is from an EAA Homebuilt Week talk I gave several years ago. Also wrote an article for Kitplanes on the subject....

Ron Wanttaja

Yeah, that's always the trouble. The only thing I could find was this article: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/students/flighttestprep/skills/emergency-landings

Then he compared the fatality rates:
The fatality rate for forced landings is roughly 10 percent,
I wonder where the author got that statistic…it may be accurate for reported forced landings, but as has been noted, the successful forced landings generally aren’t reported.

Here's the basic result:
View attachment 123563

Hi Ron. I really appreciate your data-driven analysis and articles. I keep your article, "Homebuilt Accidents: Passing the Engine Baton" handy when Lycoming & Continental owners start bad-mouthing my Rotax! :D

In your graphic above, do you have the data on the overall survival rate without backing out the loss-of-control incidents? If a substantial percentage of pilots are losing control / stalling on deadstick landings, that needs to be considered. (The good thing is, it can be improved with training & practice, but I'm still curious about the overall survival.) Also, was there any way to pull out major injuries? We often focus on fatalities, but pilots should also consider the possibility of major, possibly life-changing injuries.

Lastly, it would be informative to know how the rate changes at night or in IMC. Those are two scenarios that pilots conveniently leave out of the conversation when they speak of their confidence in making a successful deadstick landing.

Thanks!

Stall speed will have a big impact (no pun intended) on the success of an off airport emergency landing.

A local pilot put his ailing Skyhawk on a country road. I asked him if he was concerned about power lines. His answer: "I work for the power company. I know where they are."
When I did my commercial ASEL checkride, it kind of ****ed off the examiner that I kept lining up on roads. But at that point in time, I had witnessed more takeoffs and landings on gravel roads than airports.

Download the NTSB accident database, and run your analyses in Access... and transfer to Excel, if you feel more comfortable there. The database includes a dictionary that defines every parameter; see if it's got the kind of thing you want to search for. Don't recall an "off airport" flag. There are additional flags for the type of issues encountered, but I haven't had much luck with those.

In my case, I had extracted key information on homebuilt accidents from Access, and transferred it to Excel. I then reviewed every accident and established a cause.

I then took all the homebuilt engine-failure cases, and set up a new table in Access. Combined an accident narratives report with a table that allowed me to manually identify the phase of flight and the terrain the airplane eventually landed in. Here's what it looked like:
View attachment 123562
Went through 400+ separate accidents, noting the conditions for each.

Here's the basic result:
View attachment 123563
Note that this is just homebuilts...not a bad subject for this analysis, because homebuilts suffer engine failures about twice as often as production-type airplanes. Didn't break out precautionary landings, though.

The above graphic is from an EAA Homebuilt Week talk I gave several years ago. Also wrote an article for Kitplanes on the subject....

Ron Wanttaja
Entertaining that the survival rate for runways is slightly worse than pasture/fields.

In your graphic above, do you have the data on the overall survival rate without backing out the loss-of-control incidents? If a substantial percentage of pilots are losing control / stalling on deadstick landings, that needs to be considered. (The good thing is, it can be improved with training & practice, but I'm still curious about the overall survival.) Also, was there any way to pull out major injuries? We often focus on fatalities, but pilots should also consider the possibility of major, possibly life-changing injuries.

Lastly, it would be informative to know how the rate changes at night or in IMC. Those are two scenarios that pilots conveniently leave out of the conversation when they speak of their confidence in making a successful deadstick landing.
My analysis process was originally designed to highlight mechanical failure issues...at the start, I just had one overall "pilot mistake" category.

I eventually realized I needed some finer detail, and started including specific pilot mistake/misjudgement categories. However, because of my original focus on mechanical issues, I *don't* record an accident as pilot error if the pilot stalls out during a forced landing. In that case, I would just specify the cause of the accident being due to the engine failure.

For later analyses, I've "backed into" getting the post-engine-failure stall data. Probably the best summary is in my EAA Homebuilt Weekend presentation in January 2022. If you're an EAA member, they recorded the session and it should be available.

However, I did convert the charts to PDF and have them for download:

Page 24 has the following:
1703378110502.png
You might find pages 25 and 26 interesting, as well...I've posted them to other subjects on POA.

And again, this IS just for homebuilt aircraft...which have a higher chance for engine failures, and (generally) more-experienced pilots.

Ron Wanttaja

Entertaining that the survival rate for runways is slightly worse than pasture/fields.
Runway *Environment*, not merely runway. I should have labeled that as "Airport Environment" instead. Fences, lights, derelict Mooneys, etc.

The percentages are close enough (92% vs. 93%) that I figure they're really about the same.

Ron Wanttaja

My off airport landing success rate is 100%, but they were all live stick and planned.

I did get stuck in the sand several times and had to dig the plane out if that counts...

Here's one I might or might not know anything about.

It's a little funny that they say "substantial" damage - when the only thing that got scratched was the inside of the engine.

Probably the best summary is in my EAA Homebuilt Weekend presentation in January 2022. If you're an EAA member, they recorded the session and it should be available.

However, I did convert the charts to PDF and have them for download:

Thanks. I am an EAA member, and I downloaded the PDF you linked. Nice work. The way you broke out the engine failure fatality rate, between those who stalled and those who didn't, reminds me of another EAA webinar I saw regarding "the impossible turn." Of the engine failure after takeoff accidents in that study, the fatality rate of those who turned back was 29%. But when broken out, the fatality rate for those who stalled was a whopping 70%, whereas the fatality rate for those who didn't stall was only 4%.

That's great actionable info, but what I'm really seeking is that total number: of all engine failures (not just EFATO), what's the total fatality rate? I think I see it on page 19 of your PDF:

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 11.15.17 PM.png

So, it looks like, of your dataset of experimental aircraft accidents, the fatality rate for engine failures is 21%. Or said the other way, the survival rate would be 79%.

I would love to see the rate when the engine failure happened at night or in IMC. I'd have to assume it would be dramatically worse.

So, it looks like, of your dataset of experimental aircraft accidents, the fatality rate for engine failures is 21%. Or said the other way, the survival rate would be 79%.

I would love to see the rate when the engine failure happened at night or in IMC. I'd have to assume it would be dramatically worse.
Have added a couple more years to my database since that analysis...now covers 1998 through 2022, inclusive (25 years).

Total EAB accidents: 4888
Total Fatal EAB Accidents: 1158 (23.7%)

Total cases of loss of engine power: 1590 (includes all causes, including pilot-induced and undetermined cases). Roughly about 32% of all EAB accidents

Loss of engine power cases with at least one fatality: 272. About a 17% fatality rate for loss of engine power.

To me, the lower fatality rate in loss of power situations makes sense. After all, we train intensively for this during instruction, and the refresher is in every BFR.

Looked through the data dictionary for anything that would make finding out whether an accident occurred in IMC or at night. No specific flags. The local time of the accident is one parameter, as is the time zone where the accident occurred. However, didn't see anything that flags whether it was at night. For each accident, you could use the time and date to calculate the local sunset time, but that would be real awkward.

Similarly, didn't see any specific parameters that establish whether the airplane was in IMC.

However, the NTSB investigators use a lot of standard terminology; one can search the narratives for appearance of words like "night" or "dark" or "IMC" or "IFR". One could do a keyword search, but it would still require manual review to verify the situation.

For instance, I occasionally search for "stall" in the Probable Cause to quickly identify accidents where the pilot stalled. Unfortunately, searching for "stall" means one finds hits on phrases like "The pilot avoided the stall by..." or even hitting on "installed" if the wild cards aren't properly deployed.

Did a manual search on the term "night" in the Probable Cause column, got 32 hits. Searched for "Dark," too, but with one exception, all were part of a "dark night" comment.

Of those 32, only five involved loss of engine power. Four were fuel exhaustion. So that's ONE verified homebuilt accident in 25 years that occurred when the powerplant failed at night. Certainly may have been others, but one would have to do a deeper manual scan.

I ran separate manual checks for "IFR", "IMC", and "Instrument". Two mentions of "IFR" in the Probable Causes, six of "IMC"; none had a loss-of-power associated with them.

Ran for "Instrument," which, as you might expect, has more potential for bad hits. 45 hits, but only four involved loss of power.

One of the four (IAD00LA021) was interesting. The Probable Cause was "The pilot's continued flight from visual flight rules into instrument meteorological conditions", with no mention of engine issues in the front summary or PC. But the narrative mentions oil blow-by and scratched piston skirts and rings, and there was also some issues with the magnetos. I listed the Initiator (term I use instead of Probable Cause) for this accident as continued VFR into IFR, but set the "Loss of Power" flag due to these uncertainties.

The other three were carburetor icing, a bad injector, and fuel exhaustion. SEA07LA040, WPR11FA147, and ERA13CA107, if you're keeping score.

Ron Wanttaja

Just to provide my data for your records. I have had one in Mexico due to engine failure (threw a rod) in a PA-28-140, two at KTOA in HB-23 motor glider due to engine failure, one at KREI in a PA-28-140 due to engine failure, and finally one at KOLS in a PA-28-140 due to blade separation. On the blade separation I was horrified to find out from the NTSB that this is a common occurrence! About four times a year just on the West Coast which probably makes it more common than engine failures. However, in the 30 years of running a flight school with several aircraft, and being a CFI, I never even thought about teaching for blade separations. I have also never even seen a check list for this emergenc!

I forgot to mention that all of these emergencies were handled correctly with no injuries. Oh, I forgot another one with a C-172 taking off at KHND which crashed due to being overloaded with high density altitude. Running a flight school you lose a lot of equipment!

One thing to bear in mind about Ron's excellent analyses is that they're just for experimentals, which probably aren't representative of the GA fleet in general. The aircraft are mostly slower and lighter. There are more accidents in the aircraft's first few flights, when not only are the engine and systems unproven, but the pilot has less experience in the aircraft.

Experimental owners tend to be more about the flying and less about going places, so they probably have a lot more time just practicing landings, often "chop the power on downwind" style rather than the long powered final often used by "going places" pilots, so they may be better at handling a loss of power situation. They're more likely to be flying about a familiar local area, with known landing options. They're more likely to be familiar with the aircraft's systems, which will affect how an emergency is handled, especially if the engine doesn't quite stop.

Some homebuilts (biplanes especially) may have a more robust structure protecting the occupants than the typical spam can.

And aided by friends with wrenches and independent attitudes, a homebuilt that makes an emergency landing is much more likely to disappear (either by flying or on a trailer) before the authorities show up, so it never gets in the database.

Last edited:
How did you deal with blade separations? Shut down engine, dead stick landing?
I always heard you would almost certainly die due to the imbalanced prop ripping the engine off the mount, resulting in unrecoverable aft CG. But sounds like that may have been mostly baloney.

Just to provide my data for your records. I have had one in Mexico due to engine failure (threw a rod) in a PA-28-140, two at KTOA in HB-23 motor glider due to engine failure, one at KREI in a PA-28-140 due to engine failure, and finally one at KOLS in a PA-28-140 due to blade separation. On the blade separation I was horrified to find out from the NTSB that this is a common occurrence! About four times a year just on the West Coast which probably makes it more common than engine failures. However, in the 30 years of running a flight school with several aircraft, and being a CFI, I never even thought about teaching for blade separations. I have also never even seen a check list for this emergenc!
Holy Cow! If I ever had 5 engine/prop failures, I would almost consider it routine!

I always heard you would almost certainly die due to the imbalanced prop ripping the engine off the mount, resulting in unrecoverable aft CG. But sounds like that may have been mostly baloney.
It definitely has happened, which is why many aerobatic planes have a backup cable holding the engine, in case the mount fails

It definitely has happened, which is why many aerobatic planes have a backup cable holding the engine, in case the mount fails
Mine had one when I bought it, but my IA removed it. Since the 50+ year history of the Decathlon, with a fleet of several thousand being used as aerobatic trainers, includes zero events of this nature, I'm ok with that.

I can see it being a concern in an airshow aircraft regularly flown in aggressive tumbling maneuvers. But such aircraft are typically reinforced and aggressively maintained. I believe I read somewhere that Sean Tucker rebuilds his aircraft every year.

All that said, I'd be interested in seeing if there is any statistical incidence of loss of control (as opposed to loss of power) in GA aircraft due to prop or hub failure.

Forget off airport, my "precautionary" ( semantics, a minute away from becoming a total power loss, and i didnt have go around power without shaking itself apart so i was coming down one and done regardless) was done in the middle of a class D airport during operating hours and even a e-word declaration on the radio. Not a peep from anyone since.

Either way just like my sold price, it never made it to no "database". The answer as requested, isnt available.

All that said, I'd be interested in seeing if there is any statistical incidence of loss of control (as opposed to loss of power) in GA aircraft due to prop or hub failure.
Statistical? As in how many?
More than one fatal accident in T-18s from the departure of a blade followed by the engine (using a shortened prop). (And not during aerobatics.)

When my prop passed 2000 hours I asked my A&P if we should think about replacing it. He said “no, you can keep running it until it shows signs of impending failure”. I asked him what those signs might be and he sort of shrugged. Didn’t give me a lot of confidence.

Of the planes that had a blade separation, were the props maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s directions? Had any of them gotten damaged from FOD, previous strike, et cetera?

When my prop passed 2000 hours I asked my A&P if we should think about replacing it. He said “no, you can keep running it until it shows signs of impending failure”. I asked him what those signs might be and he sort of shrugged. Didn’t give me a lot of confidence.

When you go to the airport for a flight and find your prop laying on the ground, it may be about to fail...

(with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy...)

Blades seldom separate at the shank, it's fatigue failure from unaddressed cracking that fails the blade at third, mid or 2/3rds spans. So, as long as youre not being a complete magoo, dressing the nicks before they get ridiculous usually keeps props from being a problem.

No need to live in fear just because one doesnt prophylactic overhaul props (at ones wallet gratuitous expense, given the limited number or cuts a blade can accept before it doesn't make length).

Dear Ed, I believe that you are correct about “almost certainly die!” My friend Roberto was flying the plane at the time of the separation, and he quickly shut down the engine. I think it was just seconds from ripping itself off of the airframe! Let me send you the article I wrote on this in my magazine. What scares me is that the CG doesn’t happen due to the missing part of the blade, it is the violent vibration that rips the engine off of the airframe! Then your CG is in the hands of God! God Bless! Keep Flying Speed! Capt. Robert “That Guy” Riter

Attachments

• Ritter Aviation Sep 23 2nd Ed WEB.pdf
    10.9 MB · Views: 5
Blades seldom separate at the shank, it's fatigue failure from unaddressed cracking that fails the blade at third, mid or 2/3rds spans. So, as long as youre not being a complete magoo, dressing the nicks before they get ridiculous usually keeps props from being a problem.

No need to live in fear just because one doesnt prophylactic overhaul props (at ones wallet gratuitous expense, given the limited number or cuts a blade can accept before it doesn't make length).
Dear Hindsight, In 30 years of running a flight school, being a A&P with IA, I have never even heard of a blade separation until it happened to me! No emergency check lists, no advice like you discovered, and yet they are more common than engine failures per the NTSB. Mine was caused by a manufacturing error whereby iron and copper got introduced. Over the years the dissimilar metals caused corrosion inside the blade. The blade was within the 2000 hour overhaul and had a current yellow tag. No outward signs of stress or fatigue were shown. I inspected the propeller for a preflight only days before! Here is a copy of my magazine article if you would like to know more. God Bless! Keep Flying Speed! Capt. Robert “That Guy” Riter

Attachments

• Ritter Aviation Sep 23 2nd Ed WEB.pdf
    10.9 MB · Views: 6
Back