substituting Garmin 430W for DME, ADF

Yeah...good luck with that. If you are able to actually verify every waypoint is still current then you might as well update the bloody thing - heck of alot easier.

Unless Jepp/whomever is not updating the data anymore.

Only the final approach segment, that's my understanding.

Just to throw a Baby Ruth in the pool, what's your understanding on DME arc?

Unless Jepp/whomever is not updating the data anymore.

Just to throw a Baby Ruth in the pool, what's your understanding on DME arc?
You can use the 430 for lateral guidance on the DME ARC up to the final approach fix and not after that. If the arc continues past the final approach fix you need real DME. There are *VERY* few of those.

You can use the 430 for lateral guidance on the DME ARC up to the final approach fix and not after that. If the arc continues past the final approach fix you need real DME. There are *VERY* few of those.
One caveat - you can use it again on the missed.

That's my understanding too, but I can't find the restriction. Can you remember it?

That's my understanding too, but I can't find the restriction. Can you remember it?

AIM 1-2-3

c. Uses of Suitable RNAV Systems. Subject to the operating requirements, operators may use a suitable RNAV system in the following ways.
1. Determine aircraft position relative to, or distance from a VOR (see NOTE 5 below), TACAN, NDB, compass locator, DME fix; or a named fix defined by a VOR radial, TACAN course, NDB bearing, or compass locator bearing intersecting a VOR or localizer course.
2. Navigate to or from a VOR, TACAN, NDB, or compass locator.
3. Hold over a VOR, TACAN, NDB, compass locator, or DME fix.
4. Fly an arc based upon DME.
NOTE

1.The allowances described in this section apply even when a facility is identified as required on a procedure (for example, “Note ADF required”).
2.These operations do not include lateral navigation on localizer-based courses (including localizer back-course guidance) without reference to raw localizer data.
3.Unless otherwise specified, a suitable RNAV system cannot be used for navigation on procedures that are identified as not authorized (“NA”) without exception by a NOTAM. For example, an operator may not use a RNAV system to navigate on a procedure affected by an expired or unsatisfactory flight inspection, or a procedure that is based upon a recently decommissioned NAVAID.
4.Pilots may not substitute for the NAVAID (for example, a VOR or NDB) providing lateral guidance for the final approach segment. This restriction does not refer to instrument approach procedures with “or GPS” in the title when using GPS or WAAS. These allowances do not apply to procedures that are identified as not authorized (NA) without exception by a NOTAM, as other conditions may still exist and result in a procedure not being available. For example, these allowances do not apply to a procedure associated with an expired or unsatisfactory flight inspection, or is based upon a recently decommissioned NAVAID.
5.For the purpose of paragraph c, “VOR” includes VOR, VOR/DME, and VORTAC facilities and “compass locator” includes locator outer marker and locator middle marker.

Back