substance abuse

jd1368

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jd1368
Hi all.. I'm new to the forum, so go easy on me please.

I am a Physician and a little over two years ago I was diagnosed with substance abuse/dependence. I entered into a state-sponsored recovery program, and have over 130 negative drug tests over the past two years. I also see a LADC (licensed alcohol and drug councilor) every other week for the past two years. In all of my research, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a definite answer on whether or not this is truly disqualifying for a class 3 certificate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome aboard!

Dr. Bruce Chien (HIMS AME specializing in difficult aviation medical certifications -- like yours) will be along with the details, but it is possible. You'll need a long term of sobriety (I think two years may be it) and a 4-axis psychiatric evaluation.

And whatever it takes, stay sober! The FAA is pretty much "two strikes and your out" on such alcohol/drug problems, and you've had already had one.

Pretty sure under the circumstances you describe, it is possible. Stand by for the resident expert, Dr. Chien, and then follow his prescription to the letter. Welcome aboard.

Welcome you have already started a program,but dr. Bruce can give you the facts of what's needed.good Luck

Welcome to PoA! I'll be the 5th to point you toward Dr. Bruce along with the advice to follow his Rx to the letter!

You can also "ping" him using the contact form at:

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Last edited:
jd, if you can prove abstinence (I think you can, as the OWNER of the 130 tests) and that the tests were in fact random, and get a HIMS AME sponsor, trip to the HIMS Forensic Psych for an assessment of "stable remission" (think $1,500 uninsureable) this can happen. You also have to document the recovery activities- the CADC reports would help.

PM me and I'll tell you the federal resources nearest you (it might be a distance).

You will need to be on randoms for two years after any issuance and sponsored by that HIMS AME.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back