Subscribe to NTSB report updates?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
There is one incident that I keep checking on for an update, but there are many others that I've forgot about that I was interested in reading. Is there some way to subscribe to report updates?

You might query both NTSB and ASF directly for their recommendations

I'm not aware of one. You may be in for a long haul. There was a fatal GA crash in the summer of 2011 that still doesn't have anything beyond the preliminary.

I'm not aware of one. You may be in for a long haul. There was a fatal GA crash in the summer of 2011 that still doesn't have anything beyond the preliminary.
I know it's not uncommon for reports to take a year or more, but when the reports actually do come out, I will have most likely forgotten all about them, and never hear about them again.

I know the FAA Safety Briefing magazine has an NTSB section that highlights certain incidents, so that's something.

Sadly, they dont seem to offer a subscription feature. There is one poster here who seems to run a weekly query on all the newly completed reports, iirc 'fourstacks' is the handle. Dont know how he has this set up.

Just how long do these reports take to generate? I've been looking for one from 9/2/2012 at KBJC and so far nothing yet, not even a prelim.

Just how long do these reports take to generate? I've been looking for one from 9/2/2012 at KBJC and so far nothing yet, not even a prelim.

What do you enter for your search query ?

Early on when looking for prelims, it works best just to look by state without entering any other search terms. Unless the accident happened right on the airport, they dont usually put the airport identifier as the location but rather whatever geographic description applies to the zip code the wreckage came down in. So if you are looking for a crash that happened at 'OSH', it may be listed as 'Ripon, WI'. Also the fields 'fatal/nonfatal' are not allways entered for a prelim.

The same applies when looking for older reports, that is anyting prior to about 2000. On the really old ones, the city and state are a combined search field and they sometimes used abbreviations for towns that are not in common use today.

Also, some things we consider 'accidents' are 'incidents' in the NTSBs world. You can rip off the landing gear and fold the engine underneath the plane and they consider it only 'prop and landing gear damage' leaving the investigation stays on the FAA side of the fence.

The other thing to do is to widen the time window by a couple of days in either direction. Going to 9/1/2012 gives a stingsport crash in Longmont,CO which is reasonably close to BJC (CEN12LA655). Is that the one you are looking for ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful information. This is actually the one I was looking for:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/09/cessna-172n-skyhawk-n5247d-student.html?m=1

No injuries (thank god) so may not be an accident in the NTSB's eyes after all

The language in the statute gives them a bit of leeway to reduce their workload on a simple nose-over:

B. DEFINITIONS
1. "Aircraft Accident" means an occurrence associated with the
operation of an aircraft that takes place between the time any person
boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have
disembarked, and in which any person suffers death, or serious injury, or
in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. For purposes of this
form, the definition of “aircraft accident” includes “unmanned aircraft
accident,” as defined at 49 C.F.R. 830.2.

2. "Substantial Damage" means damage or failure which adversely
affects the structural strength, performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component. NOTE: Engine failure or damage limited to anengine if only one engine fails or is damaged, bent fairing or cowling, dented skin, small puncture holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, engine accessories, brakes, or wing tips are not considered "substantial damage" for purposes of this report

3. "Operator" means any person who causes or authorizes the
operation of an aircraft, such as the owner, lessee, or bailee of an aircraft

4. "Fatal Injury" means any injury that results in death within thirty (30)
days of the accident.

5. "Serious Injury" means any injury that (1) requires hospitalization
for more than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date the injury was received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fracture of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves injury to any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body surface.

I was at the NTSB for a seminar a couple of weeks ago, they had a pop-quiz on 'accident or incident'. Some things are a bit curious, if a mechanic taxies a plane and kills a lineman, it is not an accident in the NTSB sense.

Also, you can break your nose and get a concussion yet you are not 'seriously injured' if you are discharged after 24hrs.

In the event you linked, they probably decided that it was only landing gear, cowling and 'dented skin' damage that doesn't add up to 'substantial'. The FAA prelim notes it already as 'incident'. A wrinkle in the fuselage otoh would make it 'substantial'.

Back