Submitted Basicmed without previous medical

S

StudentPilot22

So I previously went to get my third class medical but when they did the eye test they said my vision in one of my wasn’t good enough. I told them I had corrective lenses at home. Told me to come back with the glasses.

The AME is a couple hour drive from my house and I didn’t find the time to go back. My flight instructor told me I should just do BasicMed with a local doctor.

I printed out the forms, convinced my primary care doctor to fill it out, did the AOPA quiz, and submitted the information at the end. The date that I filled out for date of last faa medical was the day I submitted the online faa medical form prior to going for the third class medical.

Well after I gave it to the flight school to put in there records they asked why the date was so recent. I reread the form instructions and it says held a medical after July 14, 2006. Well I didn’t see that as I only skimmed it. (Facepalm).

I have a third class exam scheduled for August 20th.

Is there anything you guys recommend doing in the meantime?

it would seem you b. med is invalid, unless you held a faa medical from before.

There isn't anything you can do at this point except wait for 08/20/21. I would definitely educate your CFI, (s)he should know what the rules are! Also, please view this as a "teachable moment", trust, but verify and read forms carefully before signing/submitting....

Not much you can do while you wait unless the flight school allows you to proceed. Per the FAA, neither a Student license nor a medical are required to take lessons. Also per the FAA, you must have a student license to solo. I was a student pilot without a medical for more than 6 months as I worked through the FAA's issues with my meds. My flight school had no problem with this as they understood the situation. But I had to have the 3rd class medical before I could solo. I don't know if this was an FAA requirement or just the flight school's policy. I'm also not sure if the FAA will consider your Basic Med application an infraction. Just don't present your Basic Med forms to anyone as they are invalid - you have no medical certificate.

... I'm also not sure if the FAA will consider your Basic Med application an infraction. Just don't present your Basic Med forms to anyone as they are invalid - you have no medical certificate.

The FAA has been sending letters to people who completed the BasicMed process without meeting one or more of the qualifications. I'm not an attorney, but I don't think they would have cause to start an enforcement action unless the person acted as pilot-in-command while not being qualified.

I would ask that CFI where he gets his information. Appears he is not too bright.

The FAA has been sending letters to people who completed the BasicMed process without meeting one or more of the qualifications. I'm not an attorney, but I don't think they would have cause to start an enforcement action unless the person acted as pilot-in-command while not being qualified.

How would the FAA know about who holds a basicmed? From the online course registration?

This is a tough one, I can't even figure out what department at the FAA is responsible for processing the BasicMed data.

See the last question in the FAQ here:
"I entered the wrong information in the data entry form after I passed the quiz. Who should I contact?"
https://basicmedicalcourse.aopa.org/client/app.html#/info/faq

Other option might be the contacting the Aerospace Medical Certification Division:
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...gations/designee_types/ame/amcs/phonenumbers/

How would the FAA know about who holds a basicmed? From the online course registration?

Yes.

14 CFR 68.3:

(b) Upon successful completion of the medical education course, the following items must be electronically provided to the individual seeking to act as pilot in command under the conditions and limitations of §61.113(i) of this chapter and transmitted to the FAA—

(1) A certification of completion of the medical education course, which shall be retained in the individual's logbook and made available upon request, and shall contain the individual's name, address, and airman certificate number;

(2) A release authorizing single access to the National Driver Register through a designated State Department of Motor Vehicles to furnish to the FAA information pertaining to the individual's driving record;

(3) A certification by the individual that the individual is under the care and treatment of a physician if the individual has been diagnosed with any medical condition that may impact the ability of the individual to fly, as required under §61.23(c)(3) of this chapter;

(4) A form that includes—

(i) The name, address, telephone number, and airman certificate number of the individual;

(ii) The name, address, telephone number, and State medical license number of the physician performing the comprehensive medical examination;

(iii) The date of the comprehensive medical examination; and

(iv) A certification by the individual that the checklist described in §68.7 was followed and signed by the physician during the medical examination required by this section; and

(5) A statement, which shall be signed by the individual certifying that the individual understands the existing prohibition on operations during medical deficiency by stating: “I understand that I cannot act as pilot in command, or any other capacity as a required flight crew member, if I know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make me unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.”.

But I had to have the 3rd class medical before I could solo. I don't know if this was an FAA requirement or just the flight school's policy.

This is an FAA policy, 61.23(3)(i), unless you're going for a sport pilot license (and a medical certificate is not required).

Yes. The online-course providers send the information to the FAA. If you look up a pilot on the FAA Web site, along with the date of their last FAA medical certificate, you can see the dates, if any, of their last BasicMed exam and online course.

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

I would ask that CFI where he gets his information. Appears he is not too bright.
I'm wondering if the requirements for BasicMed eligibility are being covered in CFI tests and in the CFI renewal process.

Correct, the OP will get an "educational letter" from the FAA Airman Registry informing the OP that he or she does not meet the requirements to operate under BasicMed. No further action necessary, just don't act as PIC (i.e. solo) until you've been issued an FAA medical certificate. Also, seek compensation from your instructor for the cost of the unnecessary examination for providing bad information.

OKC backlogs are reported long, so i’d not wait on them. If an lsa is available at you school, you could get a long way down the road to a ppl, including solo in an lsa, while the 3rd class gets worked out. Also, get the ppl written exam over.

On the other hand, I don’t know what there is to straighten out. Take your glasses to the AME & complete the 3rd class you started. If there is later paperwork, you’re just a student getting started & misunderstood the regs & paperwork. Hell, none of us really understands everything about med. There will likely be no enforcement action unless you solo a GA aircraft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back