Subarctic Quebec trip report. AKA: The Bahamas of the North!

beestforwardspeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CoopAir
Subarctic Quebec trip report. AKA: The "Bahamas of The North"

So I finally got the chance to fly up to Subarctic Quebec after wanting to go there for almost 11 years, along with actually having planned it firm for the last 6 months.

Background and Introduction:

So before I go any further, many have asked me WHY I chose to fly to such a desolate place 800 NM north of home?

Why the hell would I choose this God forsaken place with so many other "interesting" destinations?? Well, its kinda strange in a way how I came to want to visit such a desolate place, but the reason why I wanted to travel there is pretty distinct.

Apologies in advance for such a long explanation, but none of it will make sense if I don't set it up as to WHY I wanted to go here.

It all started in Oct of 2002 when I was on my way home from Paris flying on a UAL B-777 from CDG to IAD is row 27A. The flight that afternoon began like any other flight, but I noticed that we took a much more northern route than great circle.

Approx 120 NM after making landfall in North America in Far Northern Labrador (just past HINGE intersection) I hit the NRST button on my GPS and was perplexed when I saw that the nearest airport was almost 150 NM away...........

I was like......what?? How can that be........we aren't over the ocean any longer and are over mainland North America. It soon after occured to me that we must be over a pretty desolate wilderness.

As the flight progressed the wilderness went on for several hundred miles and it wasn't until reaching about 50 deg latitude that I saw signs of civilization.

I was truly stunned that such a vast remote area existed so close to home. I mean........I knew that you had places like the Amazon, Sahaha, Siberia, etc that were like this, thousands of miles from home, BUT I NEVER could have imagined an area that remote just 800 miles from my front door in the neighboring country.

WOW!!

So in the days and weeks after returning home, I studies maps, used the net and just virtually explored this area as much as I could, learning a lot about it.

When I was doing all of that, I found this town, Schefferville, that was only 30 NM left of our course and honed in on it. What was most facinating about Schefferville was that there were no roads connecting it to the outside world. The only way you could get there was by rail or air (or by snowmobile from Dec to Apr of course).

I still couldn't wrap my head around how a town in a 1st world developed country like Canada (no further north than Scotland by the way) would not have road access.

For years after I had always wanted to visit Schefferville, but never got around to doing it since the Bahamas kept stealing my money year after year!!

I finally said in late 2012, that if i dont get up there this summer, that it'll never happen!!

The Bahamas is certainly my favorite place on the entire globe, but Subarctic Quebec, was def a close 2nd, and I finally said "I'M GOING!"

At first I thought it'd be fun to take a friend or two, but the more I thought about it, it was just a lot easier to travel solo even though 80% of the time I much prefer to travel with others as its just more fun. Additionally, I was going to be VERY picky about the weather I wanted to fly in-----much beyond what was required to simply fly safely.

Even though I am IR, current, and sharp in the soup, I wanted at least 5000' ceilings and 10 miles vis on my flight up there because I was itching to take pics and video of the boreal forest up north. I mean---I'm not going to wait 11 years for this trip and fly it in even soft IMC when I can do all that at home!!

So to cut to the chase here is my trip report:

July 8th pics and video:

Westfield, MA (BAF) to Saint George, QC (CYSG) 268NM

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ede5GZ86MCA

Pics: (public link)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...065.1073741843.1634899637&type=1&l=cb0eb62db3

I called 1-866 CANPASS at about 12:30 that afternoon to report my arrival and then departed BAF at 1:15 that afternoon bound for CYSG (50 SE of Quebec City).

On the way there, I wanted to overfly 59B (Jackman, ME) as I visit there frequently and since its pretty much on the way, it made sense. It was mostly sunny to start with fair weather cumulus, but when I got to Southern NH, the cumulus became more congested and about 30-40 NM past that, there were CB's in clusters that I had planned to deviate around to the west.

At 9000' when just past EEN, I was in a lot of light turb at it looked as if going around to the west was not going to work so well. I knew that to the east towards the coast it looked clear so I asked Boston Center If I could take a 100 HDG towards MHT and then cut north on course when clear.

Then approved that and I asked for lower (5000'). In the descent to the east I was in a fairly bumpy build-up with frequent light and occasional moderate turbulence. Nothing dangerous, but it was bad enough that I was glad not to have a pax onboard.

About 10 NM later, I noticed a good sized gap (visually) that looked like a tight fit on the NEXRAD (I would not have attempted it in IMC).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...84790065.1073741843.1634899637&type=3&theater

To get through it, I asked for a 080 HDG, and BOS app approved it. It was a cinch flying through it even though it looked tight on the radar. Just shows that the Mark I eyeball rules!!

I had a smooth ride through it and the was able to fly 060 HDG and the on course (040 HDG) about 15 NM later. The rest of the flight was uneventful and with about 80 NM to go, I got to skim the tops of a stratus layer which is always exciting of course. Soon after it quickly cleared up getting north of the front and about 12 NM from CYSG, I cancelled IFR and also canceled the S&R portion of my flight plan with Montreal Center and switched to the CTAF (which is mandatory in Canada unlike here).

Made an uneventful landing at CYSG. When I got to the ramp I called Canpass to report my arrival. After holding for about 5 min, they asked me if any of my information had changed since my prior call and told them nothing had. Right away I was told "Welcome to Canada" and was given a 9 digit entry confirmation code. I did not have any face-to-face contact with an immigration official.

Soon after I got a cab into town to the Comfort Suits and then got a bite to eat and a few beers at a local grille.

Last edited:
As far from the Bahamas as you can POSSIBLY get: Subarctic Quebec Trip Report

July 9th: Saint Georges to Schefferville (CYKL) 548 NM

(Music video flying CYSG-CYKL)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201146355574395&set=vb.1634899637&type=3&theater

Pics for the day:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...215.1073741842.1634899637&type=1&l=a12fe418f9

Video once on the ground in Schefferville:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT5L0XIjnyo

GAME DAY!!

This was IT! The moment I had been waiting 11 years for!! If I said I was pumped for this flight, it would be an understatement!

For the past few days prior, the weather was looking like it was going to be spectacular for this flight---by far the most important of all the segments as it would be this one where I would be "breaking new ground"

When I woke up that morning, I checked everything one last time, and just like predicated, the weather was supposed to be FANTASTIC!! I was jumping for joy when I saw it was supposed to a high overcast for the first 130 NM or so and then almost CAVU the remaining 75% of the route---the best and more remote part being later!!! If that wasn't enough, i was supposed to have an average of a 10 kt tailwind!!

Heavenly!

The night before I got her full to the gills with fuel since this would be a longgg segment over a very remote area with alternates few and far between. I then did my normal preflight as excited as can be and then back taxied on 24 for departure on 6.

As I lined her up and opened the throttle, i swear.....I felt like Charles Lindburg did departing Roosevelt field bound for Paris! I couldn't believe that in 5 hrs I was going to be in Schefferville totally under my own power! A part of me was the smallest bit on-edge about flying totally alone over such a remote and desolate area, but the much larger part of me was excited as hell.

I leveled off at 3500 to begin with and then made my way up to 5500 once north of the St Lawrence. When I was about 50 miles east of Bagotville (CYBG) the high overcast gave way to CAVU and it was a crisp kind of clear, not hazy at all---MAGNIFICANT!

At that point I had to stay below 6000 because of a hot restricted area that I'd be under for almost 150 NM! At 5500, I had continuous light and a few jolts of moderate which was a bit annoying when jugling all my electronics, but hey.........I couldnt complain because the weather was perfect other than that.

Looking below, there was a maze of logging roads that went as far north as 51 deg latitude or so....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50779215.1073741842.1634899637&type=3&theater

But once past that, there was absolutely NOTHING until Schefferville!! I was pretty sure that was the case since I studied this area so much on Google Earth and other maps.

I continued to just glow in excitement the rest of the flight, but had a moment that stood out when I was about 25 NM away from Schefferville. At that point, I looked up ahead and to my left and saw a jetliner flying to the southwest (presumably flying back from Europe) and it looked to me that they were on the EXACT airway flying in the same direction as we were in back in 2002 when I discovered this wilderness!!

I looked up at the aircraft and was hit hard by a strong dose of Deja-Vu as it vividly reminded me of being over it 11 years earlier. Pretty damn cool!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50779215.1073741842.1634899637&type=3&theater

I might have been only 800 NM from home, but I felt like I was 8000 NM away in some far flung land overseas.

Talk about bang-for-the buck---and all doable by GA as PIC!

Shortly after, I started my descent into Schefferville and entered the left base to rwy 36 and stopped to make the terminal turnoff. I was very excited to have made it here totally under my own power and soon after I shut her down and had her topped off.

Landed with 26 gal remaining----so enough to get to Wabush with at least 90 min after that. I throttled way back to around 55 or 60% power for most of the flight to save fuel due to the tailwind.

Now about 3:00, I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring Schefferville on foot (15 min walk from airport to town). I asked about somewhere to stay last minute (just wanted to relax and didn't want to set up my camping gear the first night) and one of the ladies at the Bla Bla Cafe downtown told me she could get me a room just upstairs for $150 including 3 meals. Not a nice room and def run down, but hey......I knew that darn well going into this trip, and luxury was the last thing on my mind.

That was less expensive that the guesthouse on the east side and also less than Hotel Royal just a block away so I took it. (Everything is more expensive there!)

I was told by the locals that there would be a lot of Native Canadians Indians hanging out (limited to this small area) and that they would be begging me for $$, cigarettes, booze, etc and that when that happens, politely tell them NO and just move on.

Sure enough, that night they did just that as I was walking out of the liquor store. A few of them were pretty aggressive beggars and one in particular really got agitated when I wouldn't give him anything!!!

It was definitely intimidating at first, but a day or two later when I got used to it. At that point, it started to become comical. No question they were begging me more than others since I was new to town. I really wasn't sure what to think so I just watched my back (not really paranoid though) but when one of the ladies in her late 50's working the grille at the Bla Bla Cafe told me that they were not violent and just annoying, I felt reassured.

At the Bla Bla, I got a delicious, but overpriced pizza and just spend time talking to others about Schefferville and why I was visiting. They were definitely curious about my story as having toursits up there is as rare as snow in Florida.

Ironically, a few moments later, I was watching the CBC and on a commercial break, there was an ad that came on sponsored by the Greek Tourism Board that was advertising travel deals to Greece. In the ad of course, they showed the white washed buildings in Mykonos and Santorini and the other islands overlooking the ocean.

When I saw that, I thought to myself........."Well.....Greece sure does look nice, but I'm glad I'm in Schefferville instead"

Haha, I'm sure everyone would think I'm smoking crack if I'd said that, but I was just so eager to explore this frontier wilderness that becomes a no-mans land just a few miles outside of town!!!

For the remainder of the first night, I hung out at the only bar in town at the Hotel Royal and noticed outside a young drunk native just sitting on the steps by an ATV along with this lady making sure he was OK. He was so wasted he couldnt even stand up and she didnt want to leave him alone in this state.

I quickly learned that job security in this town is owning a liquor store!!!

__________________________________________________ _________________

July 10th:

(Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbRBztWr93k

(Pics)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...744.1073741844.1634899637&type=1&l=dfed017215

Spent most of this morning uploading pics and videos from the flight yesterday at the Bla Bla Cafe (across the street from the bar) and hung out with "The Man" in Schefferville---Gilles Portlier.He has lived up there for over 30 years and arrived when he was 18 to work the mines, back where they were booming in the 1970's. He knows this place like the back of his hand!

For the afternoon, I put on my pack and reassembled my bike and rode 10 miles to the Northeast to the native town of Kawawachikamach (sorry, can't pronounce it!). The flies were really buzzing and when stopped I had to put on my netting to keep them away! None-the-less, I kept at it and made it there about an hour later and stopped for a while along a nice lake in town.

On the ride back, it started to rain (stupid me left my rain gear back in Schefferville!) and I got drenched. Once I got back and got my belongings out of the room where I stayed the night before, I set up my tent on the outskirts of town near the guesthouse to the east.

Later that night the wind picked up as well. I had the line guys bring some cement blocks near the plane so I was able to tie it down which made me feel a lot better!

After setting up my tent, I rode my bike back into town and had a few drinks at the Hotel Royal again. More beggars again. I just politely said no and they seemed to back off just as I was told would happen earlier.

I thought it'd be funny to ask the bartender to make me a Bahama Mama and see her reaction when she tried to figure out how to make one. It was pretty funny and we both got a laugh out of it, especially when I told her I was just joking (I wouldn't expect any bartender in Schefferville to know how)!

Back to my tent, i slept very lightly due to the wind picking up as well as the TAF calling for a PROB30 of t-storms with winds gusting to 30 kts! Luckily, the t-storms never came and it was just windy. I managed to get some sleep, albeit very lightly which is still better than deep sleep back at home.

Last edited:
July 11th pics and videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2oqWk1yvY

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...491.1073741845.1634899637&type=1&l=62e8b85d4d

The precip ended early this morning and it was a higher broken ceiling, but still very windy with gusts to 35 kts.

There is a large lighted cross about 20 ft tall on top of a ridge that overlooks Schefferville that I wanted to bike to, so I got some directions from Gilles Portlier and marked it on my GPS from Google Earth.

Along the way, there were impressive views of some massive mines that i stopped to take a better look at---one in particular to the SW of Schefferville. On the ridge, it was VERY windy but I was not complaining one bit.

Why??

Because all that wind meant absolutely no flies and mosquitos!! A blessing in the north. Trust me.

Now at the cross, I got some good views to the North and East of town as well as of the seaplane base on Lake Squaw.

After an hour or so, i started to make my way back to town and wanted to check on my camping gear near the guesthouse just to make sure the wind hadn't carried it away! Luckily it had not as I had been pretty diligent to secure it the night before.

I hung out in the Guesthouse that evening and talked to some of the other guys staying there. The place was mostly booked and I got to know a few of they guys staying there from out of town. It turns out i was the ONLY one there from out of town there on vacation. All the other guys were there for work (iron ore mining) as they have a 2 week on then 2 weeks off schedule.

They looked at me funny (rightfully so) when I told them I was here for vacation. Like many others, this guy just could not comprehend why anyone would choose to vacation here.

(Hey, I never said I was normal when it comes to where I like to travel!)

That evening around 6:00, one of the ladies who works at the guesthouse told me there was a no-show from one of the miners and that if he didn't show up by 8:30 that night, that I could have his room for free! I gladly took her up on her offer and thanked her profusely!

Sure enough at 8:30, he is MIA (he had the flu and ended up missing several days of work) so I bring my stuff from then tent to the room.

Boy is it nice to have a bed up here, albeit plain and simple and nothing fancy.

__________________________________________________ _________________

July 12th pics and video:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...190.1073741846.1634899637&type=1&l=f036463a6d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVMTsd-Ewc

Called my mom that morning and wished her a happy 57th B-Day and she was very happy to get a call from me----from Schefferville none-the-less!

She wanted to know all about it so I told her and she thought it was pretty cool to want to explore off the beaten path so much.

For breakfast I hung out again at the Bla Bla in town and uploaded more pics and video and chatted with the other patrons there.

As i had been alluding to earlier, everyone just assumed I was up there for work when I told them I was from the USA. No one thought i was up there as a tourist and just like before, they were stunned that I was wanting to vacation in Schefferville, being such a desolate and stark place!

As the days went on, more and more people kept asking me about visiting and I learned that i was literally the ONLY visitor in this town that was here on for personal travel.

One of the guys flying for Air Inuit (who had invited me to stay at his place that night if he hadn't had to RON in Sept-lles that night) gave me a hard time and that I had to be smokin something niceeee for wanting to vacation here! Too funny!!

In total during my visit, I heard it a total of at least 15 times as to how odd it was to be here on vacation. Amusing!

After lunch, the plan was to ride about 15 miles to the WNW of S-ville along a road that leads to a bunch of spent mines and make my way into Labrador. The climb was mostly uphill and into a still stiff breeze, but like i said earlier, I was not complaining as I'd much rather ride uphill into the wind that have swarms of flies and bugs eating me alive.

On my way up, I passed the garbage dump and was hoping to see some bears as the locals told me i might see a few hanging around. No such luck though, and I kept on riding NW along the main road. About 4 miles past S-ville, at about 2200' elevation I reached what would practically be considered the tree line.

The vegetation was almost identical to what I would see in Colorado at about 11,500 feet so I guess that 15 degrees of latitude is about the equivalent offset as 9000 ft of elevation.

I had some great view from about a 315 hdg clockwise to 090 and it was just amazing to look out that way for dozens of miles and to think that there are areas that no human has set foot.

Having lived in a fairly urban/surburban area most of my life, it was just hard to wrap my head around the fact that there was NOTHING out there. I mean, even in the Maine wilderness there is something usually every 5 to 10 miles, but up here, there is literally nothing past just a few paths!!

With about 3 miles to go, I came up to a longgggg hill that topped out at 2600 ft MSL. Great views to the North and East on top of this. Just after the crest, I entered Labrador and about a mile past the line, I had to stop at a checkpoint because they would not let me take the bike further in for my own safety due to the active mining and occasional blasting.

The lady looked at me like I was brave for riding on this road with so many heavy trucks and other heavy equip whizzing on by me. To be honest, I was much more uneasy riding on my roads near home which have much heavier traffic, are much narrower and have far less visibility around the curves.

At that checkpoint, I was able to get 2 guys in a pickup to escort me another 3 miles in where they were constructing a HUGE dome for processing the extracted Iron Ore. Along the way there, I noticed a lone peak to the west and asked the guys about it. It was known (informally) as Sacred Mtn, but its so remote out there, that the geological survey doesnt even bother naming a lot of the lakes and mountains. Crazy!

On the ride back, the guys were a bit concerned for my safety having rode my bike all they way up here from S-ville and were particularly concerned about me encountering bears and wolves.

I told them i knew those animals were here of course, but thought that they weren't really a huge danger as wolves tend to be elusive from humans and black bears tend to be timid as well (I had one run away in Maine in 2011 when he spotted me about 100 yds away).

They seemed to disagree and thought otherwise. They still had it in their mind that they would likely be aggressive towards me. I still think black bears are not a big danger (just use common sense and dont be stupid of course) as they do tend to run away if they can when they see you. Grizzlies and Polars on the other hand are a whole nuther story of course and are the truly dangerous ones, but neither of those are within 300nm miles or more of where I was.

After the guys dropped me off back at the checkpoint, I rode off about a quarter mile to the SW to get on top of the ridge. Once there, I could see probably 20 miles to the SW to the next valley and ridge line after that. Again, it was just stunning to think there was nothing out there as I am so used to thinking there is human habitation somwhere around the bend, even in places like the Rockies and Appalachians that we loosely call "remote."

Had an uneventful ride back to S-ville down that longggg hill that I got to pedal up and I was pretty tired by the time I got back. Passed a pickup truck (stained with Iron Ore of course) every 15 min so no big deal if I broke down. (I still had my Sat Phone with me anyway).

The room that I took last night was still available again so I took advantage of it again and just relaxed in front of the TV and computer again at the guesthouse that night.

Last edited:
July 13th pics (no video for this day)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...595.1073741847.1634899637&type=1&l=5cdd090adc

Having seen the TAF's botched the previous day when I rode my bike into Labrador to the mine (it was mostly sunny when they called for rain most of the day) I had a lot of mistrust in the weather forecasts up there and pretty much just looked to the sky to see what the weather was going to be like, just as it was done in the olden days. The locals told me too that the forecasts are even more of a crapshoot up there that elsewhere.

That being said, I certainly did check the TAF's still just to make sure there wasn't anything that serious going on.

The TAF's were calling for a stiff SW wind gusting to 25 kts with 2000' ceilings, but not believing much of it, I launched anyway for a 3 segment flight from Schefferville--Caniapiscau (CCP6)--Nitchequon--Schefferville.

I had always wanted to say I've flown the gap between where the Trans Taiga Rd stops short of Schefferville as it is made reference to here. Although I would of course just be doing it in reverse.

It is a 107 NM hop that is over a pure wilderness. Like Walter states on that site, you can't even traverse it on an ATV as there are numerous bogs, muskets, lakes and rivers to scale---although I'm sure you could on a snowmobile when it is all solidly frozen---at least if you had enough gas, food etc!

More importantly than Caniapiscau, (in terms of sentimental value at least), I wanted to fly over the now abandoned outpost of Nitchequon (pronounced Itch-a-kwan). Nitchequon is 70 NM from the nearest road and 140 NM from the nearest town (Lab City)!!! Even more remote than Schefferville, the ONLY way you can get to Nitchequon is by floatplane (or by a skiplane or snowmobile in the winter of course).

I've always wanted to snowmobile to Nitchequon (with an experienced guide of course), but I'll talk about that more later on in this trip report.

So.... to sum it up, the goal for today was to fly from Schefferville, land at Caniapiscau (pronounced Canee-a-pit-skuu), takeoff from there, overfly Nitchequon and then head back to Schefferville. Luckily, since I have 62 gal tanks in the 172, I can do this with at least 2 hrs reserve or more.

I depart Schefferville on rwy 36 with a noticeable crosswind (wind was slightly favoring 18 I later saw) and climb straight west on course to Caniapiscau at 4500. Also, what's cool, is almost mid way from Schefferville to Caniapiscau, I'll intersect the path that I flew back from Paris from 11 yrs ago that I made reference to earlier.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=54.7432269...3:F.CY.MOFAT:F.CY.TEALS:F.CY.HINGE:F.CY.LAKES

As I am making my way towards Caniapiscau, the visibility is slightly restricted but nothing too low to ruin my view.

Also I should point out that anything in this area below 12,500 MSL is totally uncontrolled airspace (there is literally NOTHING out here!) and you can legally fly in IMC without needing to be on an IFR flight plan. You do want to make sure though that you are monitoring 126.7 and giving position reports as well.

If you need an instrument approach, you self announce on 126.7 too and then switch to the CTAF (MF) at the final app fix. It truly is uncontrolled IFR and you just do your own thing. Again, very hard to believe coming from the Northeast where everything of course is controlled IFR.

For sentimental value, once I intersect the path that I took flying from CDG to IAD, I fly it for about 15 NM or so just to see how different it looked at 4500 vs FL 360! Here are some pics of what it looked like down low. Ironically, I was also sitting on the left side on the UAL B-777 that day so both times I'm looking at my 9 to 10 O'Clock--way cool!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...86027595.1073741847.1634899637&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...86027595.1073741847.1634899637&type=3&theater

Unfort I never had pics when I flew it on UAL that day as I had did not really get into photography until at least 2006:-(

After about 10 min on this route (between TEALS and MOFAT 240 HDG), I turn back on course to Caniapiscau and about 40 NM out, the visibility drops. Its about 5 miles at this point and its starting to rain continiously. No stations what so ever out here and you are really on your own which I think is cool as thats how pilots did it back in the day when men were true men!!!

At first I was a bit concerned landing at Caniapiscau in the rain since it is not a paved runway, but when I saw that it is gravel instead of dirt or sod, I was pretty certain that light to moderate rain would not have much effect on it.

I made a straight in to runway 29 and by now the visibility was down to about 4 miles. I landed and turned off to a clearing to the south of the runway and made sure to park on higher ground since the rain did seem to be having an effect on softening the runway.

I got out and explored the area for about 5 min and then fired her up again. She got rolling without too much effort at first since I was parked on a higher and dryer spot, but about 20 ft later as I was getting onto the runway, she bogged down as it was a lot softer there.

I frantically added power to not get stuck and it took 200 RPM shy of wide open throttle to keep her moving!!! YIKES!!

The last thing I needed was the embarrassment of getting stuck there, set up all my camping gear, and call for assistance on my Satellite phone.

I make SURE to keep her moving and go right into the takeoff roll as full power is barely enough to get her going at first!! Luckily, once I get above 10 or 15 kts, she doesn't have much trouble taking off as she just skips along the gravel.........

Not to mention I do a strict soft-field takeoff by yanking the yoke all back and transfer the weight from the wheels to the wings ASAP!

THIS was the TRUE soft field takeoff test, not what the examiner had me do on my check ride-----and I PASSED since I was able to takeoff without any difficulty once I got going---albeit with 25 or 30% more runway which with 3000' remaining was no issue.

Whew!!!!! Got out of that one unschathed! Now I know to never land at even a gravel runway if it has been raining recently!!

I turn to the south and follow the Caniapiscau Reservoir and then turn right at the SW corner of it on course to Nitchequon.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=54.6115274...488893:G.53.21951972538082,-70.97387695703891

I've been itching to see Nitchequon since 2011 when I saw it on a map on Walter Muma's website about the James Bay and Trans Taiga Roads

http://www.jamesbayroad.com

Not long after I saw Nitchequon on his website, I've always wanted to snowmobile there from the end of the Trans Taiga Rd at Caniapiscau along the same path shown above which is what I will be flying today.

About 20 NM south of Caniapiscau over the reservoir the vis really goes to crap and is only about 2 miles and occasionally as low as one mile. Not too concerned though since I can just go into the clouds and fly on the gauges if I have to. Remember too, that it is totally uncontrolled IFR up to 12,500 so perfectly legal too.

Once past the SW tip of the reservoir, the vis improves to about 3 miles but it is stiff raining fairly hard. Ceiling is about 1000 ft.

I finally make it to Nitchequon and fly circles around it at 500 ft or so for about 10 minutes and take a ton of pictures. Much to my surprise, the buildings are still intact. I was curious as to the condition of them since the last photo I was able to find of Nitchequon online was from 1983 when the flight service station closed down.

There is actually an abandoned 2200' airstrip at Nitchequon but I wasn't going to dare land on it after what happened at Caniapiscau, not to mention the condition of it being completely unknown the past several years---or even decades.

I am eager to get back to Schefferville so I fly about a 060 hdg which gives me a 20 kt tailwind even down low. Now being sick of all the continious light and occ moderate turb, I decide to climb up to 5500 and fly back uncontrolled, in the soup and in smooth air.

(Continued on next post)

Last edited:
OK.....picking up where I left off (damn 10,000 character limit!)

Amazingly at 5500 (Approx 3500-4000 AGL) I have a 50 knot tailwind and am doing 160 kts groundspeed!!! Yipee!!! The 170 NM back to Schefferville is going to whiz on by at Mooney speeds!

I get on 126.7 and make position reports to FSS and make sure no other aircraft are in my area at my altitude. It feels so weird to fly on my own in IMC totally uncontrolled.

About 80 NM from Schefferville, there is a PC-12 coming westbound from a trans Atlantic flight (ferry flight I presume) and is trying to reach FSS on 126.7. He is trying to find the freq for Gander Center to get clearance into the ADIZ but can't reach anyone. He is flying parallel to it until he can get a hold of ATC.

I offer to give him a relay to FSS and tell them his predicament and FSS gives my the freq for his area when he gives me his lat/long. He thanks me profusely and is able to reach Gander and cross the ADIZ not long after.

As I near Schefferville, I am ready to fly the full Approach for the RNAV 18 if I can't get visual before. The MSA up to a 100 NMR of the area is 4600. Since I know the exact mountain that is the controlling obstacle, I drop 500' below that to 4100 and much to my surprise I break out there. I have much more breathing room with terrain than I had envisioned and make a right pattern for 18 (all circuits are flown on the west side of the runway there).

I have a fairly stiff X-wind about 50-60 deg off the run, but I've done a lot worst. That being said, having the challenge of my nearest alternate 113 NM away makes a modest x-wind at least as much of a pucker as a stiff X-wind does at home base with alternates everywhere.

None-the less, I land pretty smoothly and taxi in and tie her down into the wind as best I can.

Spent the rest of the day just hanging out at the Bla Bla with Gilles and the crew and uploaded more pics and video. (I'm so picky about doing that right away as I'm scared to death I'm going to lose them without backups!)

Last edited:
July 14th (Schefferville to Wabush/Labrador City)

Pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...585.1073741848.1634899637&type=1&l=9fc5110943

Music video flying low and fast:

https://vimeo.com/71808776

Last day in Schefferville was a lot more pleasant with mostly sunny weather and temps in the lower 70's. A great summer day for the Subarctic!

Had a busy morning as I packed away all my camping gear, made 3 trips on bike from the guest house to the airport, then got lunch, loaded the plane and disassembled my bike so it would actually fit in the back again!

Said goodbye to Gilles Portlier and told him I'd be back sometime (not till 2015 prob since I'm going SOUTH to the Bahamas for summer 2014)

Departed Rwy 36 at CYKL, made a left downwind departure to the south on course to CYWK but decided once over the unpopulated wilderness (only 10 mi from CYKL) to HAVE SOME FUN!!!

I flew at full speed, downwind as low as 30 ft above the lakes, bogs and treetops and made this music video of it.

Just to be perfectly clear, this is something I would ONLY do flying solo over a totally unpopulated area as it is most certainly most risky than straight and level flying at altitude. I certainly love to get a thrill, but never at the expense of endangering other people.

Probably half of the way from CYKL to CYWK was spent no higher than 300' AGL!

Had an uneventful arrival into CYWK and once inside the terminal, I called around to see if I could get a decent room rate. I called 3 different B&B's and they all wanted $150 or more---more than I wanted to pay. I then called the Twin Cities B&B (really cool lady who runs it!) and had a room available for the next 4 nights for only $65!! Not only that, but free breakfast every morning! Talk about Northern Hospitality!

BOOK IT!!

I got a cab for the 3 mile ride to Labrador City and unfortunatly when I arrived, I learned that they only took cash or check. Good thing I had it on me. She told me it was fine to give her 2 nights worth now and to just get her the balance the next day.

No problem!

This was a nice place. Very clean, and it had more of a Newfoundland feel to it than a subarctic deep woods vibe---if that makes any sense.

Since CYWK is straight south of CYKL, but 1 hr ahead, it got dark 50 minutes later than in CYKL (10 min lost due to 2 degrees of latitude) which was hard to adapt to. Always ate dinner at 9:30 just generally got a late start in the day usually.

Walked about 3000' into town and had pizza that night at a local mom and pop place and talked to the locals about snowmobiling. Lab City hosts Cains Quest which is an annual endurance race that traverses some very harsh terrain and remove areas.

http://cainsquest.com

Didn't get to bed until midnight of course doing everything according to the daylight, not the actual clock.

Last edited:
July 15th (Labrador City)

Pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...703.1073741849.1634899637&type=1&l=0f464fbea2

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4RzsbcVSys

Woke up on the late side (what a shock!) again and got breakfast. The B&B's owner's daughter was kind enough to give me a ride to the airport to retrieve my bike and reassemble it. The plan was to ride the dirt road north of Lab City to the ski lodge at the base of Smokey Mtn, then ride up the ski slopes (or at least try to!) and then take the smaller paths from there up to the summit of Smokey.

The access road to the lodge was just like any other gravel road, pretty easy to ride on. The ski slopes OTOH were very steep and I had to walk my bike up most of the way. The mosquitos were pretty bad, but there were no flies at least. Once I got up higher the wind picked up which eliminated the mosquitos. Soon was sitting on some large rocks at the summit of Smokey at 2750 MSL with good views in almost every direction, especially from about 030 clockwise to 220 HDG.

Very windy from the NW and a bit chilly (mid 50s) but otherwise a very nice day which was suppose to continue into the next day. The subarctic generally is in a progressive weather pattern in the summer as the storm track runs in the mid 50's latitude, so its common to alternate between nice and crappy weather day by day.

After 20 min at the summit I managed to ride down without falling or hurting myself and then relaxed and uploaded more pics at the B&B.

Went out about 9:00 that night for (another) late dinner at Jungle Jim's.

This place was so funny!! It had a totally tropical theme with a wide selection of umbrella drinks you would find in St Marteen or any other Caribbean island.

Wanting to take advantage of this for a photo op, I had the BT order me one one of those colorful tropical drinks in a hurricane glass and asked her to get my picture with it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50356703.1073741849.1634899637&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...50356703.1073741849.1634899637&type=3&theater

This was a riot because I NEVER thought I would be drinking one of these tropical themed drinks in the Subarctic Boreal forest of Labrador.

Talk about paradoxical!!

But wait, it gets better.............................

Not only that, but both the bartender and one of the other waitresses were from the Philippines!! When I saw they were darker skinned and not native indians, I had to ask and couldn't believe it!! My jaw just dropped when I learned that!

Never in a million years could I ever have imagined someone from the Philippines eventually living permanently in Labrador City where its cold as hell. I mean.......certainly Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, etc would make perfect sense, but not in the Subarctic Clime.

I just had to grill her (in a good way!) how in the world she ever got used to going from 90 degrees everyday to -20F for 3 or 4 months of the year. I just couldn't believe how she could make such a change. She did say "Oh yea, it gets cold here", but still this was the highlight of my trip

I never would have imagined!!

Last edited:
July 16th: CYWK-CCP6-Nitchequon-CYWK redo

Pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...890.1073741850.1634899637&type=1&l=35c1b11eec

Music video #1 (Tom Petty): CYWK to Caniapiscau
https://vimeo.com/71855890

Music video #2 (Neil Diamond): Caniapiscau to Nitchequon
(Don't forget to click the HD button for this particular video)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201149861662045&set=vb.1634899637&type=3&theater

Music Video #3: Low level flying between Nitchequon and Wabush (Def Leppard):
https://vimeo.com/72099304

Unfortunately, not trusting the weather forecast 3 days earlier cost me over $600 in hobbs time. I really wanted to see Caniapiscau and Nitchequon when it was CAVU (or nearly so) so I felt obligated (to keep my sanity anyway!) to fly the route again----from Wabush this time instead of Schefferville......but close enough.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=53.7727410...3.21343457620696,-70.98870850000714:A.CY.CYWK

I forgot to mention in the previous write-up for the 15th that I had tried to get a floatplane ride from Lab City to Nitchequon as one of my big goals for this trip was to actually step foot there. All the Lab Air Safari had was a beaver which would have cost me $2,800 round trip. NO WAY so I just had to suck it up. There was a 185 on floats there too, but the owner was out of town the next 2 weeks so that wasnt going to work so at this point I had to settle for flying over it low.

Since I had filled my 32 GB memory card for my GoPro Camera the previous day, I had to run over to Walmart (yes, they even have a Walmart in Lab City) and get another micro SD Card so I rode my bike 1/2 mile from the B&B up to the mall to buy one.

When I got back, I noticed it was only a class 4 so I had to go back again and exchange it for a class 10 as a slower card is not at all compatable with the transfer rate of a higher end HD camera like the Black Edition.

I get a much later start to the flight than I wanted to, but still plenty of time before it gets dark. I preflight and just as I'm about to hop in, to my horror I realized that I had left my entire camera bag back at the B&B.

Well....that was a $30 mistake right there, not no mention 20 minutes lost!! Ouch!

I quickly call a cab to take me back to retrieve it and back to the airport and 10 min later I am finally ready to start her up after double and triple checking everything and getting better organized! I just wanted to wack myself!

Its not until almost 3:00 that I takeoff (Thank God I still have 7 hrs of daylight at least) on runway 36 bound for Caniapiscau, 157 NM to the NW. I climb up to 4500 and it is a GORGEOUS day to be flying. Even though I love 200 and 1/2 normally, up here the scenery below is better than Mother Nature's scenery so for this one trip I am actually normal in what I consider nice weather!

There is a scattered to broken layer up higher and I manage to get to 6500 while still 500 to 1000' below the deck----a niceee vantage point. Cruising on over to Caniapiscau, I am still amazed how remote this whole area is. Just like the other day flying from Schefferville to Caniapiscau, I again cross the path we took back in 2002 returning from Paris and again, I fly it for about 15 NM, this time a bit over 50 NM south of where I tracked it 3 days ago

http://skyvector.com/?ll=54.1221047...3:F.CY.MOFAT:F.CY.TEALS:F.CY.HINGE:F.CY.LAKES

After following it for a bit, I turn back on course to Caniapiscau and pretty soon I can see the east end of the massive reservoir that I fill be following south towards Nitchequon again on my next segment.

Even though this would be awful VFR for me back at home, the weather is PERFECT on this flight with a strong high pressure just 100-200 NM to the west moving slowly southeast.

I can see the large support structures for the dams near Caniapiscau right before the airstrip when I am about 8 miles out so I soon set up for a straight in to runway 29 again. The runway is much drier of course and I have no concerns about getting stuck.

I park in the same spot as i did 3 days earlier and as soon as I shut her down, I see that I have dozens if not hundreds of my buddies ready and waiting to greet me in this wilderness.

Huge dear flies buzzing around just inches from the plane is what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!! I even made this totally unedited and candid clip of just what it was like. Not a perfect film since it was not edited, but not bad for raw footage--at least I hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOI7aNfL-Uk&feature=youtu.be

I get my full body netting and gloves doned and ready and make a quick leap outside to check it out. Thank God I knew to bring netting because these things were vicious! I could still see my tracks from the other day leading onto the rwy when I almost got stuck. LOL!!

I'll tell ya, the best time to enjoy this place would be in March or April on a bright sunny day when its 20 degrees out while everything is still frozen solid, but warm enough in even halfway decent winter gear to be comfortable.

I wanted to make sure I only kept the door open to get back in the plane for a few seconds so these suckers wouldn't follow me in. I later learned that unlike mosquitos, they will stick to the glass and try to fly out and not bother you if they get trapped. Wish I'd known that then....

The next segment from Caniapiscau to Nitchequon is one with the most sentimental value (too long to explain!) and was the leg I was most looking forward to of course. Ever since I found Nitchequon and known about the Trans Taiga Rd, I've always envisioned snowmobiling this route. So much so that I have a pretty vivid mental picture of hopefully someday doing it (with an experienced guide of course) on a bright sunny day in March when its about 15 deg outside.

I made sure to fly the exact route that I envision snowmobiling. As I was saying the mental image of getting to live out that adventure is so vivid, that I made this music video flying the same route.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201149861662045&set=vb.1634899637&type=3&theater

Since I wanted the flight to feel most like I was snowmobiling it, I made sure to fly as low as I safely could to get that feeling of speed as if I was on an Arctic Cat! Much to my amazement, the video turned out almost exactly what I had as a mental picture of despite missing the biggest component-----a frozen white landscape.

For that reason alone, I really wanted to fly this whole trip in the winter, but I later decided against it when i realized the hassle of preheating, weather delays, and scraping the plane before every flight would be a royal PITA. Unlike the northeast and midwest, it just seems like this boreal/taiga landscape was meant to be enjoyed covered in snow, where as the white stuff where most of us live is just a pain.

OK, out of dream mode now and back to tell you about the flight out of Caniapiscau to Nitchequon.

Just as I did 3 days ago as shown on skyvector, the plan was to fly low over the Caniapiscau Reservoir until reaching the SW corner of it and then fly another 60 NM on about a 240 HDG to Nitchequon.

I think the HIGHEST I got was about 500' AGL on this segment as........like I said earlier, I wanted to feel like I was snowmobiling this route. Make it to Nitchequon about an hour later and this time I wanted to get a close look and see what condition the runway was it so I did a low pass about 50 to 100 ft over it.

Sure enough, there was no way anyone was going to be landing there---at least if they wanted to takeoff again. The sand runway was littered with dozens of oil drums everywhere. No way in hell was I going to touchdown there!

Here is another gallery of pics exclusive to Nitchequon that I took (some overlap from the main album from this date)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...994.1073741851.1634899637&type=1&l=2e9053615e

For another 15 min, I circled around Nitchequon and got more pics and video of it and some of the photos turned out very nice. (I put my camera on burst mode so I could take several shots per sec and then just scrap pics that I didnt want).

Made my way back to Lab City and did some more low level flying as low as 30' AGL over the lakes and forest and made another music video doing that with my favorite Def Leppard song from the 80's.

https://vimeo.com/72099304

20 min later, I just wanted to enjoy the landscape from altitude so I climbed up to 5500 and took in the views of the endless array of lakes, rivers and forest. Every now and then I saw some impressive rapids with rivers carving pretty steep gorges. Its still amazing that almost no one ever gets close to this as its just so remote!

Landed back at CYWK at about 8:30 with plenty of daylight still left and got a bite to eat back at Jungle Jim's again.

Last edited:
July 17th: Churchill Falls day trip (by car)

Pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...683.1073741852.1634899637&type=1&l=5d9075d6a7

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGZ214vzJAo

Since the weather was suppose to deterioate late last night (it did as forecast) I decided to explore more on the ground so I rented a car and drove 150 miles east to Churchill Falls. My main goal was to take it easy and just hike the easy 1/2 mile to view the falls, but I was hoping as a nice bonus that I could get a last minute tour of the power generating station which is just HUGE!

After gassing up at CF (you better as its the only place to fuel between Lab City and Goose Bay) I walked over to the town office to inquire about a last minute tour. No such luck as it was already full for the day but they told me they could arrange one for tomorrow. Didn't do me any good of course. Not a big deal, I more just wanted to see the falls.

After talking to another gentleman at the office, he pointed me to a side road where I could get a good view of the dam structures that tower up so I drove about 5 mi back to the west and turned to the north on a gravel road (good condition at least) that took me to the Smallwood Reservoir where it was located.

Pretty mammoth up close thats for sure!!

I spent about 10 min there and then drove back to the trail to hike to the actual falls, downstream of the reservoir. Was a pretty nice hike although with a lot of overgrown vegetation. Because of the dense brush, I made sure to make plenty of noise to alert bears and other potentially dangerous animals of my presence. Last thing I needed was to startle mama bear with the cubs at close range!!!

The falls were certainly impressive and I was amazed at the size of the canyon just downstream from the falls. Millions of years of erosion to get it like that.

Rest of the drive back to Lab City was uneventful except that I saw a good rainbow as it was clearing up later that evening.

I had dinner again at the same pizza place I ate at the first night in Lab City and it was good as always.

The plan was to fly back home the next day (18th) as the weather again was supposed to be fabulous once again with another strong high pressure coming in from the west.

Last edited:
July 18th: Departing Wabush for HOME!!

Pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...475.1073741855.1634899637&type=1&l=a4f506a639

Music video from CYWK to CYMT (via the Otish Mtns):
https://vimeo.com/72081906

Video IFR from CYMT to CYRQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-moH_5W-U

So this was it, my last day in the Subarctic Boreal Forest. With another mostly sunny day on tap and having accomplished everything I wanted to do up here (except visit Nitchequon by ASES of course), it was a perfect time to head home.

The plan for this flight was to head straight west for about 140 NM, then pick up about a 210 HDG for approx 50 NM more. At that point, I was going to over fly some of the most unexplored mountains in all of North America.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=51.3351877....873231353160335,-72.99755859759304:A.CY.CYMT

The Otish Mtns are definitely not the Rockies or Sierras in terms of ruggedness or elevation (they only top out at 3730 MSL) but what makes them amazing is that they are (still to this day) almost TOTALLY unexplored.

Looking online there is so little information available about them as hardly anyone ever visits them which made me eager to want to fly over them that much more. The plan from there is to fly straight west for another 50 NM (give or take) and look for what was once a winter only road leading north to the Eastmin Mine Airstrip from the end of Rt 167 in Quebec from Lake Mistassini.

The winter road was constructed several decades ago to access some uranium mines on the western edge of the Otish Mtns. Very recently--within the last 6 months to year, the winter only road was converted into an all season access road that leads to the Eastmain Mine Airstrip from the south.

Once I reach the end of the Winter road, I will follow it south to civilization and then follow Rt 167 more or less to Chibougamau (CYMT) and then fly from there to BTV to clear customs and then back to BAF and then drive home.

I am very anxious to see what the whole area from the Otish Mtns to the old winter road looks like.

The big question I have is how far north does the road go past the Eastmain Mine runway? Google Earth is useful, but due to the poor resolution in such a remote area, it is not as helpful as I had hoped. Looking at the satellite imagery, it looks as if the road goes about 5 miles ENE of the airstrip and then just peters out into a river (point D on my custom made map).

On the other hand, it looks like the road might cross the river and continue to the Northeast (point E)
and beyond.

http://mapfling.com/qkoo4mt

Hmmm.......could this be another winter road that I am unaware of that leads even further?? For months after looking at the sat imagery, this has been nagging at me and I am anxious to find out!

And find out I am about to!!

The cold front that went through last night (responsible for the rainbow driving back from Churchill Falls) was moving to the east towards Goose Bay when I was doing my preflight.

As much as it wanted to clear up, it seem to struggle as for a while as there was still showery precip (very deep mixing layer up to 7000' with a steep lapse rate and stratocumulus clouds---typical behind a cold front) in the area as I was preflighting.

Every half hour or so for 5 min at a time, we would get "liquid sunshine." It would reduce the vis quite a bit, but 3 miles away it was unlimited and this just kept going on and off.

I knew as time went on that it would clear up more and that that would happen faster the further west I flew towards my intermediate destination of CYMT.

I departed runway 36 at CYWK uneventfully and turned west on course at 4500. It was a very nice day to be flying and I could see isolated virga that was responsible for bringing me the showers that I mentioned earlier.

The further west i got, just like predicted, the more sunny it became.

I reached the Otish Mtns before too much longer and found the highest peak (highest point too on the Wabush Sectional Chart) at 3725' and circled around the mountain at 5000'. Sure enough, just like I thought, absolutely NO sign of civilization anywhere even close!!

Still amazing!

From there just like planned I found the winter road (now converted to all season) that I described earlier and got an up close look at it.

http://mapfling.com/qkoo4mt

This again was what looked to be the questionable end of the road (5 mi ENE of the Eastmain Mine Airstrip).

When I finally reached it flying at 500 AGL, it was not a road at all, even though it looked like it might be one on the imagery.

Instead it was simply an esker (formed at the end of the last ice age) which there are thousands of in the subarctic. No such road went NE of the airstrip---that I knew for sure.

The actual road ended about 2 miles NW of the airstrip instead and went south from there towards Rt 167. I followed the newly converted all season road to the south for 150 miles till it met up with Rt 167.

About 15-20 miles south of the Eastmain Mine airstrip, I could see what was once the winter road as it criss-crossed with the all season road. The old winter road looked like a clearing that a 50 yd wide tornado had just cleared. The rest of the way down though, it looked as if they just constructed the all season road right over the old winter road as far as I could tell anyway.

When I reached the end (start) of the all season mining road at the Jct with Rt 167, I notice that it was gated off and closed to the public.

The rest of the flight went uneventfully and I made a straight in landing to runway 23 at CYMT, topped off the tanks and called customs at BTV.

I was in a bit of a rush because they closed at 8:00 and I was going to get there at about 7:15 if I had my projected speed and had a mostly direct routing.

Got my IFR from FSS over the radio and was cleared direct BTV (327 NM on a 185 mag course) and assigned 8000.

Unfort my GS is not as fast as I like and it is now showing my with just 20 min to spare before customs closes at 8:00. Hopefully I can keep my direct clearance even near Montreal!!

About 50 NM later, my speed does pick up 15 kts or so, and it looks like I'll now have a 40 min cushion to make it to BTV.

The only thing is that there is some convective activity ahead (no point figuring out if it'll still be there or where it will be 2 hrs from now), but its another wildcard thrown in. That being said, I have plenty of options to divert in Canada if I need to and have promised myself after what happened returning from the Bahamas in 2010 with get-there-iris, that I will not push it!!

About 100 NM north of Montreal, sure enough, Center gives me a re-route which adds about 20 NM to my flight. My ETA is still showing 30 min prior to closing so I might be able to make it as long as the weather further ahead cooperates.

When I am flying left around a large cluster of cells near CYRQ, it looks like they have squeezed closer to each other further South and West and that getting through them will be difficult.

That was where I made the decision that landing short (in Canada still) and calling it a night was the best thing to do. I asked Montreal Center to divert to CYRQ and they offered me an approach even though it was still VFR and I was right over the airport still at 8000.

I told them that it'd be much easier to get the visual approach and much to my surprise they could not do that. They offered me a contact app instead so I just spiraled down, switched to the CTAF when released and then canceled IFR on the ground.

For some reason, in Canada, they can't (or won't) allow visual approaches on an IFR flight plan which also happened to me flying into CYSG at the start of the trip.

(Any of you that fly IFR regularly in Canada know what is up with that?)

I called a cab at the FBO to take me into town and find a cheap hotel just for the night. Not long after, the cab arrive and I got a kick out of the name of the cab company..........

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...81312475.1073741855.1634899637&type=3&theater

Once in town, I got a room at the Days Inn and ordered delivery pizza and had a few beers and was soooo glad to be in a nice air conditioned room (Yes, it does get HOT in Canada!) as I had crossed the frontal boundary since it was only 72 deg and dry at CYMT, but 88 and very humid at CYRQ!

I slept very well that night and was glad to be on the ground as it had been a long, but exciting day.

Last edited:
July 19th: LAST DAY! I’ll be sleepin in my own bed tonight!

Pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...186.1073741856.1634899637&type=1&l=c7cd10cc80

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUD39zlHlf4

Woke up early from the Days Inn in Trois-Rivieres QC and called Coop Taxi to take me back to the airport. I added 10 Gal and called customs again at BTV to report my arrival.

Just before departure I was able to get my IFR clearance and a void time on the ground from Montreal Center which was very convienent since it was an 800' ceiling and I didnt wanted to be IFR from the jump.

After getting my void time (which was a 20 min window--thanks Montreal!!) I departed on rwy 23 into an the clag and got between layers at almost 4000. SInce the best terrestrial scenery was behind me now, I appreciated actual IFR just as I would at home.

They cleared me to ZBM and then direct BTV at 6000. The good IMC lasted maybe 60 NM at best and then it cleared up and started to get HOT!! It was already in the upper 80's and it was only 11 AM! YIKES!

Made an uneventful landing on Rwy 19 at BTV and taxied over to the customs building.

Unlike in Florida where the standard procedure is to get out and bring everything in, here they want you to wait in the plane until they come out to you. I always ask this when I call since CBP HQ doesn't have a standard rule and leaves it up to each individual port to decide.

I was a bit concerned it being so hot outside and was ready to get out (but sit right beside the plane leaving everything inside it of course) if I felt like I was going to faint or have other heat symptoms. Luckily that did not happen and the agent was out to see me in about 3 min.

He grilled me on what I had done on my trip (heck, who just goes exploring on vacation in the subarctic like I do) and then asked me why I traveled and for how long. Later asked to see the registration and my pilot cert and of course my Passport. He pushed me some as to why I didnt have a "rental agreement" when I took the plane and politely explained to him that its not standard to do that.

He then went inside to verify my pilot cert and he allowed me inside since it was hot. Took him maybe 5 min and the handed it back and told me I was free to go.

He def was very thorough and looked closely at everything, but was not unprofessional or out of line by any stretch of the imagination. I was afraid he was going to search the cabin since it was full of all my gear just lying about, but he probably didn't want that any more than i did since it was already 90 outside and humid as hell!!

Was quickly on my way to BAF not long after……..

Departed Runway 19 at BTV with VFR advisories and asked for a pop-up IFR in the air which Burlington App was happy to give me. Man was it HOTTTT! I asked for 8000 to try to get as cool as possible and even after spending 15 min up there it still was warmer than I wanted so I asked for 10,000 and told Boston Center that I’d only be able to do 2-300 FPM in the climb as the OAT was +15C above standard!!!

Made it up to 10,000 sluggishly and it was just barely cool enough for my liking! Was well above the haze layer too that high and it looked like a sea of sticky molasses below with some fair weather cumulus occasionally popping through.

A little while later, I could see a massive T-storm ahead and I was concerned that it was before BAF and that I’d have to hold or divert again. Looking at the Nexrad however showed that it was all the way down over Long Island about 140 NM away!!

That’s how mammoth it was, that it could be that far and look a lot closer! Mother Nature sure is awesome when she wants to be!

It was a welcome moment when I was handed off to BDL app as I felt that much closer to home! I just love the sound of a familiar controllers voice after a long trip far away from home! Once below the boundary layer (approx. 5-6000ft that day) it is VERY bumpy as it’s in the mid 90’s now on the ground. I have continuous light to moderate thermal turbulence which is just annoying for me of course, but I am sure as hell glad I don’t have any pax onboard!! BDL told me to expect the visual app to runway 20 at BAF and about 8 miles north I called the field in sight and am cleared for the approach and handed off to BAF tower.

Make an uneventful landing and taxi in and one of the CFI’s is on the ramp watching me taxi in and gives me the “welcome back” look and is looking forward to hearing all about it.

It takes me an hour or two to get everything organized as I unload the plane in the 97 degree heat, but I finally have everything packed neatly into my little Civic parked right next to the plane.

That turbulence I was talking about on the descent…………………….well……..…….the same CFI who greeted my arrival on the ramp, had sent a student up to take his IFR checkride and when he told me that, I as like………hmmmmm, I hope he doesn’t get pinked as it was bad enough flying VFR in the heat and turb.

Well sad to say that’s just what happened and he told me that he had cautioned him that it might be a good idea to reschedule the ride when its cooler and less bumpy. The applicant knew that he had screwed the pooch as he had drifted 400’ off his altitude not once but twice reaching his mental saturation point in the extreme heat and bumps.

Oh well, he seemed solid otherwise and I know he’ll pass when he reschedule the ride later.

Last edited:
One More Thing (should have mentioned this earlier)

On the morning that I departed Wabush (July 18th) I met up for breakfast with Gary Travers, a guy whom I made contact with several months earlier in Labrador City who is an avid snowmobiler and he told me all sorts of war stories about snowmobiling (I'll talk more specifically about him in a little while) and studying the Wabush Sectional Chart while waiting for our breakfast at the restaurant.

Gary told me that there was a path that led 40+ miles to the northwest of Schefferville that you could use all year round (not just a winter road) and that guys used to take their pickup trucks to the end of it regularly.

I was perplexed to say the least as I had not heard that you could get that far on an all season road from Schefferville. Not only was I perplexed, but I am kicking myself now for not taking the extra time/money to fly over it to verify his info after he told me since I was only 120 NM from it then. How far that road goes will have to remain a mystery until I can fly over it in a few years maybe.

Oh well............

First off, I do know for sure that there is a dirt road that does go 25 miles NW of Schefferville. In fact this guy rode it on a bicycle last September past 55 deg latitude.

If you look at the snapshot of the sectional below, its the dotted red line with the blue tick-marks across it (I added the tickmarks to make it easier to see on the computer).

So again, the red dotted path from the lower right to the lower left of the photo (with the blue tick-marks) is the confirmed path that I do know for sure goes out as far as 25 miles or so NW of Schefferville.

What is in question is what you see marked with black tick-marks going from the lower left to the upper left of the photo. That of course is the approximate extension of the confirmed path that he claims has been used by 4WD vehicles year round.

Gary tells me that the path in the black tick-marks is definitely there, but when I read the other guys blog that I posted up a little ways up he states that the path does NOT go any further than the blue tick-marks. The biker blogger knows this because when he make it to 55 deg 01 min on that path, he encountered a pickup with 3 Native's in it coming towards Schefferville and was told in a very certain tone that there is NO path past the blue arrow and that it ends firmly at a lake.

So now I have 2 people giving me conflicting info.........

Quite frankly, I trust the Native Indians near Schefferville A LOT more than Gary in terms of knowing the lay of the land in the north. I mean.....for generations, they have hunted and fished these lands and probably can find their way around with a blindfold on 10 times over!!

All I can say is that I am very anxious to return up there and see for my own 2 eyes where exactly that path ends.

Final thoughts and reflection

I was very pleased with the trip and there are a few things in particular that stand out. I don’t know about you, but whenever I plan a trip somewhere and then study pictures and maps of the destination, I form a strong image of what it will be like when I am there visiting. Sometimes when I get there, it is significantly different that what I mentally envision and other times its pretty similar, but each and every time there is a noticeable gap.

If I had to put a number on it (very qualitative) most destinations are probably 70% of what I envision them being with some as low as 50% and some as high as 80%.

When I arrived in Schefferville and during the 5 subsequent days I spent there, if I had to put a number on it, I would say that it was 90 to 95% of what I pictured it being-----almost UNHEARD of for any destination. I mean I even had Déjà vu the first evening there when it was clear and in the 60’s as it looked sooo similar to the pics I had seen since 2002!! No travel destination had EVER been that similar to what I pictured it as Schefferville was!

Now fast forward 5 days…………………..

Labrador City/Wabush was exactly the OPPOSITE! At best it was probably 40% of what I pictured it being and was very dissimilar to what I had in my mind. I thought it was just going to be a slightly bigger version of S-Ville, but it really felt like a fairly large city in the middle of nowhere with 85% of the amenities of home including a Walmart and Mcdonands with a very fast internet connection! It has 7,000 people, but it seemed like it had 50,000, so again it was nothing at all like I imagined it being like.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I am hoping to return to this area (Lab City in particular) in March of 2015 to do some serious backcountry snowmobiling with Gary whom I mentioned earlier (I NEED my Bahamas fix again beforehand though)!

Many months before I planned this particular trip, I had talked to Gary regularly and then learned what a hardcore snowmobiler he really is.! In fact, he won the Cains Quest race not once but twice!

He really knows his stuff when it comes to sledding. At that time, I told him that I am yearning to snowmobile to Nitchequon and he just yawned when I told him that…………as to think to himself “No big deal, I can easily get you there on a Polaris”!!

He told me it would be a two day trip out and another two back. Seeing the pics from the plane that I had taken between Lab City and Nitchequon reaffirmed his notion that it would be doable on snow machine.

The challenge for that trip will be to keep my camera warm and charged. I will have to purchase a portable solar charger for my electronics and keep them in an inside pocket so they don’t get cold soaked, but find a way I will because if I don’t get pics and video snowmobiling to my 2nd most fav destination on the globe, it never happened!!!

And on that note of getting to Nitchequon on sled, it looks as if going there via Caniapiscau (where I did the Neil Diamond Music video on July 16th) is looking impractical since it the other direction from Nitchequon as Lab City/Wabush is. I mean I guess we COULD go Lab City-Schefferville-Caniapiscau-Nitchequon and back to LC, but that would add A LOT of distance and time to the trip, not to mention expense and weight!!

Not going to be picky about how I get to Nitchequon however as beggars can't be choosers!!

__________________________________________________ ________________

Thinking more about this trip, I am very lucky in that 90% (probably more) of the places I want to travel to the most are within a 1500 mile radius of my front door and reachable by GA. If you peruse most travel forums, others seem to most want to visit far flung lands in Asia, Europe, Africa and South America thousands of miles away, and while I can understand the desire to do that, I much prefer to travel to either the Bahamas for my tropical fix or to Subarctic Eastern Canada for my Northern fix.

On this trip in particular, it was just amazing to think that I was no further than 900 NM from home, but felt like I was 9000 NM distant! Its just so amazing that there is this vast untouched wilderness that is closer than Orlando that feels as far as the Indonesian Jungle without all the poisonous animals to go with it.

Last edited:
Yep, the great white north. Done a fair amount of northern exploration - some of the best trips ever. Florida - yawn. The north west is even better! In reality Quebec is float plane country. Quite a few Maine pilots fish and hunt up there. You needed to get to Frobisher bay!

There are a lot of little differences in IFR rules in Canada. MOCA requires you to climb before the next segment, not starting at the transition. Makes a difference when the hills are higher. In Canada you must request the visual approach and there has to be weather reporting at the airport to get the visual. cancelling is an option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Almost forgot!!! Troice Riviers Outch that actually hurts my ears. How about Three rivers :)

Technically, even though its in the middle of nowhere 500 Feet is the minimum vfr in Canada, not down on the deck. If you wind up in the bush, hit some rocks going in you may not be able to use the sat phone ever again. This country has taken a lot of pilots and passengers lives. Going IFR or vfr is a choice but always on a flight plan/note or you will never be found.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info Ed!

Yea, As fun as it was flying that low, I knew I was most certainly taking a calculated risk by doing it. No question about it.

It is strictly something I would only do flying solo and over a totally unpopulated area.

Hmmm......I thought just like in the US, the Canadian regs stated that you just had to remain 500' from any person, property or man made structure rather than 500 AGL.

Unfortunately yesterday some of the links to the pictures on Facebook were not working due to my settings.

It should all be fixed and ready to view now.

I really enjoyed your trip report. Its always a pleasure when one of our friends from the south comes up to visit...and this one especially so since its my home area. It is intersting to see how huge this country is. As far as the Bahamas...do you go to different areas or do you have a favourite spot that you like to spend time at???

I really enjoyed your trip report. Its always a pleasure when one of our friends from the south comes up to visit...and this one especially so since its my home area. It is intersting to see how huge this country is. As far as the Bahamas...do you go to different areas or do you have a favourite spot that you like to spend time at???

Thanks!

I hope my write-up wasn't too long. I certainly can understand how it might bore the tears out of most readers!.

My most favorite spot, not just in the Bahamas, but in the entire WORLD is definitely Rum Cay (MYRP) about 170 NM southeast of Nassau. That being said, the Berry Islands (MYBG), Staniel Cay (MYES), and Mayaguana (MYMM) are solid runners up.

Here are pics exclusively from Rummmm Cay when I was there in June of 2012 (First of several pages)

http://s835.photobucket.com/user/3papafox/library/Bahamas June 10th Rum Cay Day 2?sort=2&page=1

And here is the rest of the write up from that Bahamas trip in the same style as this

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_5_islands_and_1_GREAT_VACATION-Bahamas.html

Great trip report! I'll check out the links later.

I missed it, what airplane did you take?

I did the same from KLAS to Anchorage, Homer, Talketna, Fairbanks and back, mostly via the Al-Can Hwy. great stops in Ft Nelson, Watson Lake and Whitehorse.

I'm ready to head back and include side trips to Skagway AK and Dawson YT. Maybe even get to Nome AK.

Thanks!

I hope my write-up wasn't too long. I certainly can understand how it might bore the tears out of most readers!.

My most favorite spot, not just in the Bahamas, but in the entire WORLD is definitely Rum Cay (MYRP) about 170 NM southeast of Nassau. That being said, the Berry Islands (MYBG), Staniel Cay (MYES), and Mayaguana (MYMM) are solid runners up.

Here are pics exclusively from Rummmm Cay when I was there in June of 2012 (First of several pages)

http://s835.photobucket.com/user/3papafox/library/Bahamas June 10th Rum Cay Day 2?sort=2&page=1

And here is the rest of the write up from that Bahamas trip in the same style as this

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_5_islands_and_1_GREAT_VACATION-Bahamas.html

Guess you met up with Bobby Little in Rum Cay...quite a character. Rum Cay has spectacular diving too. If you ever go to Eleuthera give me a heads up....i spent the winters there....

Thanks for a fabulous report.
Note that your forty five degree to downwind circuit entry at CYSG is not standard for Canada. This is from the Canadian Air Regulations:

"To reduce the risk of traffic conflict, the rules for joining the circuit are restrictive. At ATF airports pilots must position themselves on the upwind side of the active runway (runway in-use) and cross over to the downwind side at circuit altitude. Crossing over the runway in this manner, the track of the aircraft is essentially perpendicular to the downwind leg. When the pilot has sufficient distance from the runway to provide room to manoeuvre the aircraft, a left turn or right turn (depending on the direction of the published circuit) is made to enter the downwind leg abeam the mid-point of the runway. A pilot may also join straight in on the downwind leg (at circuit altitude), but only if this does not create a hazard to other aircraft. Whenever joining the circuit, the pilot should report over the radio if able when turning on to the downwind leg."

Thanks for a fabulous report.
Note that your forty five degree to downwind circuit entry at CYSG is not standard for Canada. This is from the Canadian Air Regulations:

"To reduce the risk of traffic conflict, the rules for joining the circuit are restrictive. At ATF airports pilots must position themselves on the upwind side of the active runway (runway in-use) and cross over to the downwind side at circuit altitude. Crossing over the runway in this manner, the track of the aircraft is essentially perpendicular to the downwind leg. When the pilot has sufficient distance from the runway to provide room to manoeuvre the aircraft, a left turn or right turn (depending on the direction of the published circuit) is made to enter the downwind leg abeam the mid-point of the runway. A pilot may also join straight in on the downwind leg (at circuit altitude), but only if this does not create a hazard to other aircraft. Whenever joining the circuit, the pilot should report over the radio if able when turning on to the downwind leg."

Ohhhh

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll know next time!

On this trip in particular, it was just amazing to think that I was no further than 900 NM from home, but felt like I was 9000 NM distant! Its just so amazing that there is this vast untouched wilderness that is closer than Orlando that feels as far as the Indonesian Jungle without all the poisonous animals to go with it.[/QUOTE]

The Newfoundland and Labrador tourism ads have a tag line "It's about as far from Disneyland as you can possibly get".
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gtrn8nLMn8

I'm glad you made the trip up there and enjoyed it so much. My favorite flying is up to the middle of nowhere Canada. You truly get an appreciation for how much you can be completely on your own and how much nothing exists! More people should make the trip.

Back