pilot: "Hanscom ground, N12345, west ramp with a query"

ground: "calling ground, say again?"

pilot: "N12345, west ramp with a query"

ground: "excuse me?"

pilot :"N12345, west ramp with a query"

ground :"N12345, do you have a request?"

pilot: "affirmative, yes, a request"

ground: "OK, N12345, say request"

pilot: "Um, N12345, request flight following to Sanford, um, at 35,000 feet, type Cessna 172"

ground: "ok cessna12345, I'll assume you meant 3500....squawk 4356, departure on........"

pilot: "Um, N12345, request flight following to Sanford, um, at 35,000 feet, type Cessna 172"

Turbo 172? ;);)

Reminds me of the time when I did my first solo XC. I was 15 NM north of KBMI in CAVU. I listened to the ATIS and it said OVC One Zero Thousand feet. In my head that became 1,000 feet and I was gettign ready to turn around. Also I was trying to figure where I could divert to and still be able to claim the XC. When I called up the tower I asked the question and the tower kinda corrected me. I felt two inches tall.

Ahhh, early training stupidity! On one of my XC's to Nashua I was having problems finding the airport (this was prior to GPS), I was circling and climbing trying to find it among the hills and valleys - finally contacted the tower and asked for a radar vector. After they finished laughing they told me they'd love to if they had a radar!

That's like the Skyhawk I heard asking Portland Approach for a VFR climb to flight level five five zero. You could tell he was stifling a laugh when he told the guy to "Climb your discretion, but remain clear of Class A." He gave the guy a handoff before we got to hear that "ahh haa" moment of oh, only 5,500.

That's like the Skyhawk I heard asking Portland Approach for a VFR climb to flight level five five zero. You could tell he was stifling a laugh when he told the guy to "Climb your discretion, but remain clear of Class A." He gave the guy a handoff before we got to hear that "ahh haa" moment of oh, only 5,500.

Departing SRQ in a 172RG sandwiched between two SWA 737s I got the transmission '216JA cleared for take off runway 32, caution wake turbulence departing 737'.

The plane behind me got 'Southwest 123 cleared for take off runway 32, caution wake turbulence departing Cessna 172'

Made me feel good.

The SWA pilot transmitted, just before I go handed off to departure that he felt a bump or two from my plane. Put a smile on my face.

That's a hoot! But when I did my DUAL cross country(night) it was to Hanscom from Auburn-Lewiston, Maine. By the time one reaches cruising altitude South of KLEW you're in Portland airspace. No sweat. The next ATC is prior to entering Manchester(NH) space. No problem. The interesting part was when Manchester said, "72Golf climb 3-5 Thousand, cleared direct to Syracuse." I didn't say a word; neither did my CFI. At about the time we would be leaving Manchester space the ATC came back with, "72Golf, ignore my last instruction, squawk 1-2-0-0 and have a nice evening." CFI and I could sense a muffled chuckle in the controller's voice. We were curious, however, as to the tail number of the airliner bound for Syracuse.

HR

I don't recall exactly what I was trying to say, but the first time I talked on the radio as a student pilot it all came out wrong. Did being an Extra class ham radio operator help? Not in the least. Different lingo, and there's a lot less pressure talking when you're sitting at the desk in your shack. :p

But you were probably great at identifying those VORs.
Jon

Stilll am. :p Don't even need to look at the dots and dashes on the sectional. Now if the IDs on DMEs would just come more often I could save more time before calling ground for permission to taxi. :D

I heard a plane check in with GYY "flight level three zero zero" Same deal. When the tower said, "3000, right?" He said, "Yeah. I guess that would be pretty high."

Did being an Extra class ham radio operator help? Not in the least.

But you were probably great at identifying those VORs.
Jon

Darn tootin'! My DPE on my PP ride asked why I wasn't counting the dots and dashes and started to give me a lecture on how to identify the VORS properly. I told him I was a ham and after the flight pulled out my license to prove it. He let me "slide". ;)

Ahhh, early training stupidity! On one of my XC's to Nashua I was having problems finding the airport (this was prior to GPS), I was circling and climbing trying to find it among the hills and valleys - finally contacted the tower and asked for a radar vector. After they finished laughing they told me they'd love to if they had a radar!
Don't feel so bad. A couple months ago I shared airspace with a PC-12 which overflew the airport, made a 180 and still couldn't find the airport. APP gave them vectors and they STILL couldn't find the airport. Based on the position that APP provided I had a pretty good idea the Pilatus was about 7 nm due north of me.

Then the pilot said he would fly due south to reestablish his position. :hairraise:

The whole time he was less than 3 nm from the airport.

One of my favorite F-ups on the radio happens at uncontrolled fields, and I swear I hear this at least once a week,

"Mansfield traffic, Cessna 12345, LEFT FINAL, runway 32, mansfield".

One of my favorite F-ups on the radio happens at uncontrolled fields, and I swear I hear this at least once a week,

"Mansfield traffic, Cessna 12345, LEFT FINAL, runway 32, mansfield".
It's not an F-up. They left the final. They just didn't say where they left it! :)

Back