Stupid questions about Gas Cap Replacement...

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
I was checking the fuel on my plane this morning before a flight and the gas cap was really stuck on. I think it was overfilled which made it impossible to come off. No problem, I thought- I'll just grab a wrench and get it off that way. Well I got more torque that way, but part of the top of the cap broke off!

So needless to say I'm looking for new replacement fuel caps for my '79 182Q.

I'm thinking I want these as they look exactly like the ones I have:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessnaparts8.php

However, using aircraft spruce I can't tell if it is approved for my aircraft.

What is a reliable way to tell if it's the right part? Do I have to ask my A&P for the service manual or is it available somewhere online?

Would you guys recommend another gas cap instead? I haven't had any issues with water in the tanks or anything but I have noticed a uneven fuel burn between the tanks, so maybe I can use this opportunity to help try to correct that?

Lastly, can I even replace these caps without a A/P sign off?

I know these are basic questions but I'm an owner who doesn't really turn my own wrench often.

..................................... No problem, I thought- I'll just grab a wrench and get it off that way. Well I got more torque that way, but part of the top of the cap broke off!..........................I know these are basic questions but I'm an owner who doesn't really turn my own wrench often.

I'm gonna be brutal here. You shouldn't be taking a wrench to your airplane until you get more knowlegable about the basics of using tools.

I'm gonna be brutal here. You shouldn't be taking a wrench to your airplane until you get more knowlegable about the basics of using tools.
Gee they are just white pot metal, it really doesn't take that much to brake one.

I was checking the fuel on my plane this morning before a flight and the gas cap was really stuck on. I think it was overfilled which made it impossible to come off. No problem, I thought- I'll just grab a wrench and get it off that way. Well I got more torque that way, but part of the top of the cap broke off!

So needless to say I'm looking for new replacement fuel caps for my '79 182Q.

I'm thinking I want these as they look exactly like the ones I have:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessnaparts8.php

However, using aircraft spruce I can't tell if it is approved for my aircraft.

What is a reliable way to tell if it's the right part? Do I have to ask my A&P for the service manual or is it available somewhere online?

Would you guys recommend another gas cap instead? I haven't had any issues with water in the tanks or anything but I have noticed a uneven fuel burn between the tanks, so maybe I can use this opportunity to help try to correct that?

Lastly, can I even replace these caps without a A/P sign off?

I know these are basic questions but I'm an owner who doesn't really turn my own wrench often.
They are exact duplicates, the only way to tell they are new is because they look it. When you get the new cap, put a tiny bit of "EASY-TURN" lubricant on the lip.

OBTW you'd be much farther ahead if you would swap out to Monarch fuel filler modification. http://www.monarchcaps.com

Did you notice the sentence in the description: "All of the parts listed here are authentic Cessna factory parts"?

Do you have a copy of the parts manual for your airplane? If not, why not?

Have you taken the opportunity to read the appropriate section in 14 CFR part 43 appendix A-2B that allows owners to perform preventative maintenance?

Most of us here prefer not to pay the shop $75-115 hr for labor that we're legally allowed to do.
Most of us here prefer not to pay the shop some % markup on those parts that we're legally allowed to replace, install, fix, etc.

Now,later this year the shop will spend lots of time under the panel removing/replacing the U-joints on the yokes of the cherokee and I will happily pay the labor and parts they charge. They know how to do the work, and more important, it does not fall under 43-2B.

You may also want to check with other suppliers for the gas caps. Also find out if they are already painted. Are there gaskets with the caps or do you need to buy gaskets separately. Don't use the old ones.

They are exact duplicates, the only way to tell they are new is because they look it. When you get the new cap, put a tiny bit of "EASY-TURN" lubricant on the lip.

OBTW you'd be much farther ahead if you would swap out to Monarch fuel filler modification. http://www.monarchcaps.com

I found that EZ-Turn lube eventually made the cap stick even worse. It attracts dust, it dries out. It's great as a fuel valve lubricant and thread sealant/antiseize, but is troublesome in fuel primers and fuel caps.

I use instead DC-4, and not on the gasket's outer surface. Cessna caps have a nylon washer under the rubber gasket that's supposed to let the rubber rotate easily against the cap, but it doesn't. I put a bit of DC-4 under the gasket, against that nylon washer, and I have also found that considerable friction is generated between the rubber gasket and the central aluminum core of the cap when the cap is installed; the rubber is squeezed both outward and inward and it grabs that aluminum and puts the brakes on. Some DC-4 goes in there, too. DC-4, being a silicone grease, lubricates even after it has dried out. The lubricant in silicone grease isn't the oil, as in other greases; it's the silicone.

And one more: the stainless locking tab screwed to the cap is usually set parallel to the cap's flange, which is unfortunate, since it's working against the angled ramp under the filler neck so that its edge is trying to cut the ramp. More friction. Light reworking of that tab so that its surface runs flat against the ramp makes it work smoothly.

You're right about the Monarchs. Best caps for these airplanes. Much better at keeping water out, much easier to remove and replace. A pounding rain can force water right past the Cessna's little red umbrella vent check valve on the underside of the cap.

Back