Stupid pilot tricks

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
I'm hanging out at the airport today, talking aviation with a CFI, watching a homebuilt (Rans or some such) taxi by. We noticed that the oil access door was flapping in the breeze. We assumed the FBO guys radioed the news to him, as he kind of waved his hand while passing by. You know what they say about assuming....

Finishes his run-up, then taxis out for a position-and-hold on the active. Mind you, a non-towered field. P&H really bugs me - do you really need to do that??? Mind you, a Cessna is on base leg at the time. BUT WAIT, that's not it...

So the engine revs, he moves 10-15ft, then the engine idles. Maybe he noticed the oil access door. I'd taxi off the runway and fix it. No one else on the taxiway or run-up area, he has castering nosegear, no problem, right? Nope, the canopy slides open (oh, now the Cessna is on final), he stands up in the cockpit, reaches out, secures the door. Canopy slides closed, aircraft accelerates. Hey, no harm, no foul right??? They take off, Cessna lands, everyone's a winner.

awesome. :rolleyes:

I hope he had someone watching the brakes for him while he did it. And I'm glad the Cessna didn't have to go around for his stupid decision.

Back