Stupid pilot tricks in Colorado

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
"subsequently slipped off the road"?

I wonder if this was not just a case of running out of fuel, but also of being full the same albeit in a different form.

While training at EGE I once forgot to richen the mixture after descending from 13000, as soon as I pulled the throttle over the numbers the engine died and I made a very quiet landing. Had to tell the controller why I was parked on the runway with a Piaggio about to land immediately after me. Fortunately I was able to get the plane started and off the runway before they had to tell him to go around. Now I never forget to check my fuel and mixture...

Now I never forget to check my fuel and mixture...

No one else has ever done that. Nope. Especially not with a lifeguard arriving. Nope, never happened 'cause I got it started right quick before it even really stopped. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

What part of "flight controls free and correct" as part of the pre-takeoff checklist did he not get?

What part of "flight controls free and correct" as part of the pre-takeoff checklist did he not get?

One of the first cross country flights I made with my wife, we were watching a guy pre-flight his new 182. My wife remarked "He's just like you" my response was "how so?" she said "he walks around his plane checking everything out like you do, nobody else does that around here". :mad2:

Had two pilots almost kill themselves this week in the Steamboat area. The first put a yoke mount "map holder" (thinking Ipad holder or such) and didn't check preflight to make sure that it didn't interfere with full control deflection. The second ran out of gas....luckily while taxing after landing.

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/feb/07/pilot-has-close-call-yampa-valley-regional-airport/
The yoke pilot ... Pretty funny ...err, stupid
Not really so funny when all ramifications considered... So sad...

It doesn't surprise me that when he was driving home his car slid off the road.

On Flight Reviews I watch a lot of pilots do only a token check of the controls. Just because the ailerons work with yoke back or in the middle doesn't mean they work when the yoke is in other positions. How many pilots actually check all 4 corners for the controls in both directions

I found a Commanche once that the ailerons would lock going left with the yoke all the way forward. Right was ok and any other position was ok.

I also found a 172 that would pop a circuit breaker every time you moved the control full forward and left.

I found the yoke mount issue on a 206 when we moved it from the left yoke to the right yoke. Again only an issue when pushing forward on the yoke.

I also found a glider with the ailerons hooked up backwards after maintenance. You would be surprised how hard this is to catch. Fortunately I was suspicious before assembling the glider, but even then it would have been easy to convince myself they were ok.

Both the Commanche and the 172 were being flown regularly.

Start really checking the controls if you don't already.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I know of a pilot who killed himself on his home strip but securing the yoke with a sheetrock screw that he forgot to remove one morning...

Flight controls free and correct is something I do several times before I take the runway. I did get a new lesson when taking initial PA-46 training...THe CFII took the flight controls all the way "around the box" meaning he checked to see if the flight controls work from stop to stop in all directions. When I quizzed him about this, he stated that he has seen stuff behind the panel impeded the flight controls and this was a way of checking for these obstructions.

Nice lesson that I will never forget.

Brian made the same point above...

Always always always do a free and correct check, several times. It has never failed, ever. Bet it never will. Best to know when it does!

Always always always do a free and correct check, several times. It has never failed, ever. Bet it never will. Best to know when it does!

Yep. I fully box the controls and once had rubbing during my control check, turned around and took it back to the hangar. Turned out a bolt had backed out behind the panel and was impinging on the control travel.

I do this before I start the engine. It's useful to be able to hear light chafing, etc.

Back