Stupid pilot trick number 2

Yah... Much better to leave the ice in there where it can clog a fuel port or perhaps melt in flight. :rolleyes:
It takes only a tiny bit of ice to foul that valve. And the outlet port has a finger screen on it to stop anything bigger than a grain of wheat.

That said, I still would want it out of there. On the Canadian prairies, in winter, we flew down to -25°C in the flight school but had little trouble with moisture in the tanks, and we hangared the airplanes overnight in a heated hangar and sumped them before they went out in the morning. There was never enough water accumulating in the tank during the day's flights to ever cause freezup. I also made sure that fuel cap gaskets were in top condition.

We did have one valve stick open in the hangar on another airplane that had just come in. Another mechanic had done it and was holding his finger over it and calling for help. I rapped it sharply with a small hammer and it closed.

Hahaha... It is funny how judgmental people can be with zero knowledge of the actual facts.
Man, if I only had a dollar for every ounce of truth in that statement, I could afford the plane of my dreams AND have the money to fly and maintain it!

Back