Stupid pilot, step away from the Mustang.

I would probably do worse.

If it wasn't a replica, that was a very expensive ground loop. Probably still is.

The funny part is that he was able to control the first bounce. Did better than many would, and then screwed it up in a trivial way.

The Mustang isn't a very hard airplane to land. This pilot just made it look extremely difficult to tame lol.

Full of win. Have to tell my wife to never say my name out loud if she ever films me flying.

The funny part is that he was able to control the first bounce.

Well, he failed to apply a little power, hold attitude and fly it back down. Tailwheel 101 bounce recovery. Instead, he remained at idle, jammed the stick forward, forced it back into the ground, and had enough pitch over going to strike the prop. The antithesis of control in my book.

Did better than many would, and then screwed it up in a trivial way.

He did better than non-tailwheel pilots would, but the Mustang's forgiving ground handling manners gave him a straight rollout after the bounce and he just didn't stay with it. His mind hadn't caught up to what just happened, and he probably had tunnel vision and brain death. Mustangs aren't natural ground loopers...they're pussycats on the ground. The T-6 actually takes a lot more attention.

I guess this is why most in the warbird community consider 3-pointing a Mustang as showing off. Easier to bail on a higher speed wheel landing than what was displayed here.

Wow.

The funny part is that he was able to control the first bounce. Did better than many would, and then screwed it up in a trivial way.

Ah, it looked & sounded like a prop strike on the second bounce. Followed by the ground loop.

Ya he should have planted those mains on the ground and kept the tail up after that bounce. The fact he let the tail down is why he went squirly. He also didn't plant the tail by the looks of the elevator position. I have never flown the Stang, but everyone tells me its much easier than the T-6. The T-6 isn't all that bad but it demands attention that is for darn sure.

Ya he should have planted those mains on the ground and kept the tail up after that bounce. The fact he let the tail down is why he went squirly. He also didn't plant the tail by the looks of the elevator position. I have never flown the Stang, but everyone tells me its much easier than the T-6. The T-6 isn't all that bad but it demands attention that is for darn sure.
Hard to see the elevator well, but it looks like he tried to force a three point. Tail was low but not all the way down, but the abruptness that it pitched back up in the air is likely due to him yanking the stick back while still having plenty of speed. After that it was all him being taking for a ride. If he had stuck with a wheel landing, he probably would have been fine.

Disagree. He over-corrected/botched that first bounce and was behind the airplane for the rest of the ride. If he had just relaxed the stick when the mains touched he would have been golden.

The Mustang isn't a very hard airplane to land.

Ya he should have planted those mains on the ground and kept the tail up after that bounce. The fact he let the tail down is why he went squirly. He also didn't plant the tail by the looks of the elevator position. I have never flown the Stang.

I have no time in them either. I take your first statement with a giant grain of salt. I've landed an Ercoupe, and I've landed a Pitts S1 and S2. The Pitts, was much, much harder.

I have no time in them either. I take your first statement with a giant grain of salt. I've landed an Ercoupe, and I've landed a Pitts S1 and S2. The Pitts, was much, much harder.
Apples and oranges. The T-6 was designed to be an 'advanced' trainer....not something that was easy to fly.

While I have only flown the T-6, the few folks I know who have flown both agree with Inverted's comment that the P-51 is easier than the T-6. The standard comment in warbird circles is that the Bearcat is a good trainer for the Mustang which is a good trainer for the Texan.

I should have stated that is a comment made by fellow friends who have flown it.

Apples and oranges. The T-6 was designed to be an 'advanced' trainer....not something that was easy to fly.

While I have only flown the T-6, the few folks I know who have flown both agree with Inverted's comment that the P-51 is easier than the T-6. The standard comment in warbird circles is that the Bearcat is a good trainer for the Mustang which is a good trainer for the Texan.

This.

Well, at least he didn't cram full power and torque roll it into the ground.

Wow!! ...and I don't mean the landing. Watched the clip at work with sound off, read a few posts and replayed it with the sound up. What a difference the sound track makes. Awful :eek:

One again it is demonstrated that a pilot's financial reserves has absolutely nothing to do with his abilities as a pilot. To quote my little Mexican friend, "Que Bozo mas grande!"

His wind sock could not have been more limp.

He deserves whoever did the play by play.

You're pretty liberal with advice on how to land it from your couch.

Liberal with advice? Where have I given any advice on how to land a P-51 specifically? Take a moment, go back and reread what I posted, then unbunch the panties.

Yeah - call me when you have a few dozen hours behind a Mustang. Until then - I am outa here. Man, I thought I had a big ego...

Back