Stupid Military Traffic!

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
So I'm at my desk and everything starts to shake. My Coke Bottle 6-pack rattles like crazy! I duck under the desk and fear that it's another rare earthquake in MD. Then I hear a nice ROAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR. Then comes a whistle and a ripping sound, I know that one. I get up and look out, C-17 going one way and a flight of four fighters the other.

I fix my blinds and then a nice whistle followed by what sounds like a parade of 747's. I look out and there's a C-5 so close that I wish that I had a ladder!

The downside to the awesome traffic is the 4am scud running C-17 as well as the occasional fighter after midnight.

Audio of such an event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eBLYVLe_0

I have to admit...Seeing AF1 and AF2 as well as anything out of Camp Springs is pretty cool.

The way that I see it though is that a fellow pilot is enjoying their toy. I just wish that it wasn't so effective on moving stuff. Crappy building I guess?

The Denver Sheriff's chopper flying down Arapahoe Road to get gas at KAPA at midnight in the summertime isn't nearly as pretty sounding. ;)

The Denver Sheriff's chopper flying down Arapahoe Road to get gas at KAPA at midnight in the summertime isn't nearly as pretty sounding. ;)

Yeah, but it flies over my house on its way to KAPA. Rattles the entire house.

As long as he wasn't between the property line and the magnolia tree, he seems fine to me.

Would be music to my ears. Bring it on!

At the height of the middle east wars, about once a month I'd get a 3 ship c-130 flight over my house at 9pm. I'd hear the first one and run outside...they fly pretty low.

That's not stupid mil traffic.... It's the wonderful sound of freedom. (and since it sounds like el' heffe was a part of it, and this isn't the spin zone, I'll leave my comment out....)

Oh how I do love air shows at Andrews AFB! The noise, the shaking, the rumble!!! Ahhh what pleasure that gives me!

We get blackhawks that make low approaches and landings next to our house late at night. They runway lights usually aren't on and they like playing with the night vision stuff.

Watching AF1 go by was a great pastime when I grew up in PG County.

At the height of the middle east wars, about once a month I'd get a 3 ship c-130 flight over my house at 9pm. I'd hear the first one and run outside...they fly pretty low.

Speaking of flying low... yeah... I used to live near Grissom AFB (formerly Bunker Hill) and while out on a leisurely flight in my Stinson a group of A-10s would come zipping by... at my altitude!

By the time I saw them there wasn't any way for me to maneuver in time to avoid them. (Made me feel like I was flying in a kite) So I just hoped they SAW ME in time to maneuver around me.

I always thought they ought to be flying FL-180 or so to be running that fast... not down here where the piston planes fly! Oh well, I guess they've got the license... just hope they can see me in time!

Speaking of flying low... yeah... I used to live near Grissom AFB (formerly Bunker Hill) and while out on a leisurely flight in my Stinson a group of A-10s would come zipping by... at my altitude!

By the time I saw them there wasn't any way for me to maneuver in time to avoid them. (Made me feel like I was flying in a kite) So I just hoped they SAW ME in time to maneuver around me.

I always thought they ought to be flying FL-180 or so to be running that fast... not down here where the piston planes fly! Oh well, I guess they've got the license... just hope they can see me in time!

There was an A-10 documentary that I've been looking for. It takes place in MD with the MD ANG and they did 240kts at 1500ft agl.I've been looking but havent found it, I'd love to know where they buzzed! The documentary is about my age though.

A-10's fly in pairs around here at 1000-2000ft AGL, cool sight to see from the ground. I wouldn't care for being in their way though.

We had an FAA meeting in Charleston SC just under the C17 departure corridor. One left every 10 minutes. Wonderful place for a 10 minute at a time meeting. Nobody seemed to mind :)

Speaking of flying low...

I'm not a Hog driver, so I don't know what their minimums are, but for us in the Eagle, we can't fly slower then 300 KIAS below 5k'. If we are doing tactical maneuvers the min goes up to 350, and our typical speed for low alt training is 450-500. We fly as low as 100' in some places, but most of the time no lower than 500'.

Back