Stupid DVD question

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
My wife volunteered (read: volunteered ME) to duplicate year-end DVDs for my daughter's class. I've not done any DVD burning, so pardon my ignorance. Here's the picture: My DVD burner software is Sonic Digital Media LE, which was bundled with the Dell. The person creating the master is NOT making it as a DVD, but as a CD-ROM. In previous years, she has done it as a slideshow using Powerpoint, but is using something else this year. But she couldn't remember the name of the software she's using this year.

So my questions are two. One, can one convert the content of a CD-ROM to be compatible with DVD? (Told you it was a stupid question!!) Two, am I totally screwed on this?

It will depend somewhat upon whether the CD-ROM is a data disc or some other format.

You can copy data from a data CD to a data DVD. You can't convert a music CD to a music DVD directly, or a CD Video (i forget the acronym) to a DVD directly. Not as far as I recall anyway...

Ken Ibold said:
Will a data DVD play on a standard TV/DVD or does it need to play on a computer?

Many modern DVD/CD players can play data CDs and data DVDs, showing the .mp3 pictures in a slide show. Jann's Sony HD TV will do a slide show with pics on a (ugh!) memory stick.

Hey, Ken, if you had a mac.... it would be very doable and quickly with iDVD.

You might as a local video editing service if they have that capability.

Worth the avoided hassle in many cases.

Back