Stupid Admin tricks

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
Gotta love people who don't know wtf they're doing in exchange.... Had an admin in China make a change to the global activesync policy, so i had 800 users complaining this morning that their device had been quarantined from active sync. Of course that admin changed their mistake back, so everyone was truly fine, but shoot, they all got a notification that they were quarantined. If you don't know what you're doing, STOP. This same admin made a DNS change last week that broke email to/from our china offices. I wish drawing and quartering was still a punishment

I can handle mistakes made by Jr. Sysadmins if they actually learn from it to leave working things alone, henceforth.

My job role in those scenarios is usually to stop some overbearing IT manager from flying off the handle and banning said good, but green, SysAdmin from accessing anything afterward.

Usually that conversation goes like this, “Make him clean up his mistake and draft the apology memo to the company. He won’t do that again. Don’t you write it or start responding to the e-mails, make him own it. You REVIEW it and formally endorse it. Be the boss. Not a panicky user.”

If the Jr. Syadmin is a habitual screw up, and isn’t learning, that’s a different story.

Had to have been the hardest part to learn about being “Senior” but I had great mentors who did the same for me, once or twice.

If you get a really annoying butter-bar who thinks he’s the HMFWIC and wants to flame broil the kid, the way to stop that one is, “How much training for him did you pay for and send him to? Is he qualified to do that part of his job?”

Usually shuts them up, since no place does anything but OJT for IT work anymore.

If they’re really persistent, “You paid more money to teach call center people how to read a script than teaching that guy how to properly operate a system that affects 800 people and has twenty years of complexity built into it.”

Oh look, a geek problem. :)

Alternate post: Steve Irwin voice on

Oh kriky! We've stumbled upon two geeks in the wild. Aren't they beautiful?

Steve Irwin voice off

Last edited:
I wouldn't know, I don't know WTF they're talking about. Something about someone coming back from China and getting quarantined and they gotta stop doing something if they're quarantined.

images

. . . Of course that admin changed their mistake back,

. . . I wish drawing and quartering was still a punishment
Where I used work ( a long time ago in a place far far away (Atlanta)), he probably have been given an award for working so hard to fix the problem.

People that didn't make those mistakes didn't have to work so hard to fix them, so they didn't get the awards.

I can handle mistakes made by Jr. Sysadmins if they actually learn from it to leave working things alone, henceforth.

My job role in those scenarios is usually to stop some overbearing IT manager from flying off the handle and banning said good, but green, SysAdmin from accessing anything afterward.

Usually that conversation goes like this, “Make him clean up his mistake and draft the apology memo to the company. He won’t do that again. Don’t you write it or start responding to the e-mails, make him own it. You REVIEW it and formally endorse it. Be the boss. Not a panicky user.”

If the Jr. Syadmin is a habitual screw up, and isn’t learning, that’s a different story.

Had to have been the hardest part to learn about being “Senior” but I had great mentors who did the same for me, once or twice.

If you get a really annoying butter-bar who thinks he’s the HMFWIC and wants to flame broil the kid, the way to stop that one is, “How much training for him did you pay for and send him to? Is he qualified to do that part of his job?”

Usually shuts them up, since no place does anything but OJT for IT work anymore.

If they’re really persistent, “You paid more money to teach call center people how to read a script than teaching that guy how to properly operate a system that affects 800 people and has twenty years of complexity built into it.”
I hear ya on this one. Frustrates me, as we're a flat domain which spans 2 countries... China doesn't realize that their changes have global reach. We'll get there.. Go work for a startup they said, it'll be fun they said

Oh look, a geek problem. :)

Alternate post: Steve Irwin voice on

Oh kriky! We've stumbled upon two geeks in the wild. Aren't they beautiful?

Steve Irwin voice off

Hush, or we’ll turn off your Internet and your phone for a month. Maybe longer. Or at least until you give us beer.

And we know which websites you’ve been visiting you naughty boy.

I hear ya on this one. Frustrates me, as we're a flat domain which spans 2 countries... China doesn't realize that their changes have global reach. We'll get there.. Go work for a startup they said, it'll be fun they said

LOL. Let me go dig in the drawer for the BTDT t-shirt. It’s here somewhere. :)

Back