Stuff to do in S. Fla.

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Christmas is going to be a bit different this year.

We're having a family reunion in Miami and rather than gifts, we're supposed to be giving each other "experiences." For instance, aunt and uncle are renting a couple of airboats to see the Everglades up close and personal.

I'm trying to figure out what would be a fun experience to give. I do have one uncle who's a pilot (club 182), is there any place around there where I might be able to rent a Lance or a Six or something? Where would we go? (Bahamas?)

Of course, I don't have to do anything flying-related at all. What about unique restaurants or attractions? Any ideas are most appreciated!

Thanks,

flyingcheesehead said:
Christmas is going to be a bit different this year.

We're having a family reunion in Miami and rather than gifts, we're supposed to be giving each other "experiences." For instance, aunt and uncle are renting a couple of airboats to see the Everglades up close and personal.

I'm trying to figure out what would be a fun experience to give. I do have one uncle who's a pilot (club 182), is there any place around there where I might be able to rent a Lance or a Six or something? Where would we go? (Bahamas?)

Of course, I don't have to do anything flying-related at all. What about unique restaurants or attractions? Any ideas are most appreciated!

Thanks,

South Florida this time of year...... Drink:cheers: . Bout it, summertime you can add diving, waters to cold in the winter. South Fla is a miserable place to rent nice planes. You can get a DA 40 at Pelican on North Perry off Pembroke Pines, you can also check over at Tamiami, there are some planes left to rent there I think. I remember looking for a 6 seater and couldn't find one I would fly that I could afford.

FWIW, Paradise Air at Marathon has several nice 172s to rent, and they seemed a nice outfit when I rented from them. The folks there can definitely offer good advice about Bahamas crossings, too.

There are a few floatplane schools in the area, perhaps a floatplane ride? If you find a landplane to rent, a flight to Key West would be easy and should certainly qualify as an event. KSC isn't too far from MIA, and always interesting.

lancefisher said:
There are a few floatplane schools in the area, perhaps a floatplane ride? If you find a landplane to rent, a flight to Key West would be easy and should certainly qualify as an event. KSC isn't too far from MIA, and always interesting.

Check out Lantana they have a few diffrent places that rent planes there and I swear I saw a Saratoga or alike there. Although I am not sure it survived the hurricane.

lancefisher said:

You just reminded me of something, there is a guy operating some Eipper Quicksilver MX-IIs on floats off the lake there in Miami. He's off the same causeway as the old Marine Stadium, there's a guy who does R-22 & 44 rides and instruction down that way as well but by Parrot World. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm thinking McAurthor Causeway for the Eipper on floats, but that may not be correct. If you hit a toll booth, you're on the right one. The Eipper guy is on the North side. If you pass Marine Stadium, you've gone too far. I always ment to stop in and get an hour but never had time to stop when I was down there.

Henning said:
You just reminded me of something, there is a guy operating some Eipper Quicksilver MX-IIs on floats off the lake there in Miami. He's off the same causeway as the old Marine Stadium,

Is the MX-II selling rides or what?

Henning said:
"Instruction and Demonstration" can't sell "rides" in an ultralight.

So, if I showed up with ASES on my certificate, could I buy a "Demonstartion"? I'm interested since I might be getting myself a 2 place ultralight (LSA) on floats to fly off the lake I live on.

lancefisher said:
So, if I showed up with ASES on my certificate, could I buy a "Demonstartion"? I'm interested since I might be getting myself a 2 place ultralight (LSA) on floats to fly off the lake I live on.

Most definitely, don't even need to show up with a ticket of any form. The auspices all these rides are sold under is that it is an aircraft demonstration ride of a potential customer. Spent a summer flying "demos" w/ MX II on amphibs.

Henning said:
You can get a DA 40 at Pelican on North Perry off Pembroke Pines

Tried to find "Pelican" or anyone with a DA40 at North Perry, drew a blank... Do you have a link?

I remember looking for a 6 seater and couldn't find one I would fly that I could afford.

Hmmm... Which ones wouldn't you fly, and why?

flyingcheesehead said:
Tried to find "Pelican" or anyone with a DA40 at North Perry, drew a blank... Do you have a link?

They're not listed on Airnav, but I found their phone number: 954-966-9750. Might wanna try calling them. Pelican Airways.

SkyHog said:
They're not listed on Airnav, but I found their phone number: 954-966-9750. Might wanna try calling them. Pelican Airways.

Yep, that's them.

flyingcheesehead said:

Hmmm... Which ones wouldn't you fly, and why?

I've got a phone # 954-966-9750. Last time I flew it it had an intercom/radio problem and I'd have to plug my headset into the copilots sockets (actually, I just swapped headsets with her) and used the PTT on the right stick. As for 6 seats, all I found for singles was a 6-260 that had corossion, and a 205 that didn't sound healthy. Everything else was priced beyond what I could justify paying and usually included club membership.

Last edited:
Henning said:
As for 6 seats, all I found for singles was a 6-260 that had corossion, and a 205 that didn't sound healthy. Everything else was priced beyond what I could justify paying and usually included club membership.

I found one six-seater so far: Palm Beach Flight Training at LNA has a 2003 6XT. Wow! Unfortunately, their requirements are just a bit too much. 250TT (which I think I might have... I'm within about 5 hours of it anyway), Instrument rating (Almost, but not quite), and 10 hours in PA32's, which I have 0. :( It also costs $225/hr. :hairraise:

However, they also have a couple of older Archers (checkout, $96), an old Arrow (100 TT, 10 m/m, complex, $108), and a G1000 182 (10 m/m and some ground on the G1000, $165.) So, plenty of options, just none with 6 seats.

As an aside... Why do so many FBO's have such bad web sites? Sheesh. Links that don't work, pages that have been "under construction" for years, and just plain lack of information. Yuck.

Back