Stuff needed for a hangar

charheep

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
charheep
LIke Eman (is there a Ewoman?), I also got a call from a man. Some of the things he offered me was a hangar.
Now I have bare hangar that I need to fill. What is a good list of stuff?

I already have a vise, fridge and a workbench. And yes, a plane.

The hangar has heat and power.

I need a tool set, a wench (or winch, I can never remember the correct spelling) and any other things needed. Do I need a compressor?
Whats a good list on stuff to buy ?

What is a good list of stuff?

I already have a vise, fridge and a workbench. And yes, a plane. ?

BEER!

fridge-full-of-beer-002.jpg

Last edited:
I do my own maintenance (experimental airplane), so my list includes an air compressor, spark plug cleaner/tester and gapping tool, differential compression tester with master orifice, cable tension gauge, quality torque wrench, and shop crane.

Beer fridge, more cars, couch, nice stereo

Sweet! What year? Uncle had a '29 I wanted so bad as a teenager. Another Unc got it when he passed.

It's a '33. Fun around the airport on a nice day. Swapped a homebuilt Pitts S1 that wasn't being flown enough for it.

Air compressor for pneumativ tools and to air up tires.

Oh, pneumatic tools would be good.

Rolling tool cart. Maybe a couple of portable LED shop lights (beats holding a flashlight.) Padded flooring in front of the workbench. Folding table and chairs?

Oh, and a microwave oven! Cheap TV with over the air HD antenna? Maybe an old (but functional) laptop or desktop that you can tether to your cell phone to check WX and surf the web.

LIke Eman (is there a Ewoman?), I also got a call from a man. Some of the things he offered me was a hangar.
Now I have bare hangar that I need to fill. What is a good list of stuff?

I already have a vise, fridge and a workbench. And yes, a plane.

The hangar has heat and power.

I need a tool set, a wench (or winch, I can never remember the correct spelling) and any other things needed. Do I need a compressor?
Whats a good list on stuff to buy ?
Congrats on the hangar! Did you end up at DPA? I would suggest a compressor, beer and water to fill the fridge, depending on how good the lighting is you may need additional stand lights, at a minimum the tools required for an oil/filter change and spark plug changes, a couch and table is nice if you have the room, cabinets or shelving and cleaning supplies.

A scooter to get around the airport. And hangar art!

I like to avoid too much clutter, and keep an open space large enough so I can pull my car in alongside the plane. A tight fit, but so much better than pulling the plane out, putting the car in, and reversing the process when I get back from a trip.

A rolling cart for tools (even if just cleaning supplies). Easier to move stuff along with you as you clean. Also don’t have to bend down to grab something.

Comfy folding chairs for company.

Extension cords.

Old shelves to store stuff.

A couple portable lights. One that can be hung or laid on the ground, another elevated on a rolling stand.

Milk crate for cleaning supplies, and ziplocks or Tupperware to keep clean and dirty rags separate.

Paper towels. Baby wipes for end of the day hand cleaning.

A trash can, trash bags, GoJo hand wipes, paper towels, battery charger, Lemon Pledge and micro fiber towels.

One of these compact those beer cans! Have one out by the pool. :D

4829912035721p

OBTW speaking of pool, @SixPapaCharlie "hand brushed" the pool today, by hand I say! ;)

One of the first things I got was one of those fire safe cabinets off Craig'slist. I keep all the nasty stuff in there except the stuff that should be in the fridge like two part epoxy. I have a dorm fridge with beverages and some bags of rice cakes and granola for the occasional passenger that doesn't agree with the flight conditions. I bought a ton of stuff from Harbor Freight: A cabinet on rollers, screw driver and wrench sets, a compressor and long hose and tire gauge and rubber gloves and shop rags. I have a table and chairs to plan flights and discuss maintenance with my A&P and a couple of bar stools which makes it easy to work on the plane.
I have a cork board that I keep notes like tire pressure, maintenance intervals and phone numbers.
One thing I got a long time ago for other reasons but now use only at the airport is a MIFI hot spot. It cost about $50 and I have enough free time each month that I haven't spend another cent on it.
I found a pool ladder by the curb and use it to wash the plane since it is covered in rubber and won't mar the plane. I also found a folding lawn chair which is like a hammock that I use to hold my cowl when I remove it.

Murican Flag on the Wall.

Anything from any aisle at Harbor Freight you can get with a coupon. Wait, that’s redundant.

Enough seats for friends to sit and offer advice as you try and fix something on the airplane.

Cheers

In my T-hangar, I took a can of spray paint and held it next to each end door and made dots on the floor as I swung it open. Now I have a keep out area for chairs and stuff so the doors won't hit anything when opening and closing.

Oh, while I do have allot of stuff from Harbor Freight, get a quality pair of safety wire pliers from somewhere else.

I have tools, an air compressor, a projection TV system (nothing like showing movies on the back wall), a woodworking shop, my boat trailer, a four post car lift, a laundry sink, and then up the back stairs is a kitchen and the rest of the house.

A rolling cart for tools (even if just cleaning supplies). Easier to move stuff along with you as you clean. Also don’t have to bend down to grab something.

If you go with rolling cart, make sure it has locking wheels. I watched a mechanic make that mistake in a maintenance hangar once. Right into the airplane...

Back