Studying help

deafsound

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i arrrghhmmmmpppth
I'm about to start my commercial training, and was hoping someone could give me a good recommendation for a study guide for the written. Maybe something that's online, or a CDr that quizzes you to the point of insanity.

Also, I'd like to get a really good aviation weather book--something like aviation weather for dummies (because I am after all, a dummy).
Thanks
DW

deafsound said:
I'm about to start my commercial training, and was hoping someone could give me a good recommendation for a study guide for the written. Maybe something that's online, or a CDr that quizzes you to the point of insanity.
Check out the Gleim kit. I found it very good, particularly the CD (updated online)-based tests. It contains al the FAA questions and you can choose which emmulation to use based on what type of test environment you're planning to request.

TeenDoc said:
Check out the Gleim kit. I found it very good, particularly the CD (updated online)-based tests. It contains al the FAA questions and you can choose which emmulation to use based on what type of test environment you're planning to request.

I also like the Gleim CD also because it keeps track of questions never answered, never answered correctly, ever answered incorrectly. Very effective for going through all the questions and concentrating on the ones you have trouble. Just be sure not to guess the first time through.

However I like the ASA prep books better than Gleims. Same question bank so there's no penalty for mix and match.

For weather I assume you have AC 00-6A Aviation Weather, if not it's pretty good and very basic. If you want a textbook, I just got Jeppesen's Aviation Weather by Peter Lester from Scott Dennstaedt's website http://chesavtraining.com. I'm just starting on it but it's good. I want to finish it before his seminar in Long Beach.

Joe

deafsound said:

Also, I'd like to get a really good aviation weather book--something like aviation weather for dummies (because I am after all, a dummy).
Thanks
DW

I used Jeppesen's Instrument/Commercial manual & The Complete Advanced Pilot for my manuals. One of the best weather books I've bought is Buck's Weather Flying.

2 tips on the commercial...
1) know the aircraft systems backwards & frontwards
2) It's a *visual* rating. Coming hot off my IFR the transition required effort

Back