Studying for the PPL Written test.

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
I'm studying for the PPL Written test, and my CFI told me to read FAR part 61 and Part 91 but not all of it, and for the life of me I can't remember where he said to start! Can anyone tell me where I should start, or do I just read all of it?

Thanks,
Snaggletooth

Check the pages at the front of the book... (depending on the publisher) they may just tell you which parts are recommended for a PP to review.

If you want to know what part he said to study, why ask us? Ask him! :D

I know, you don't want to seem stupid or forgetful, but...

You will find, as you move towards the PP check ride, that knowing all the answers is not as important as knowing how to get the answers, and not being embarrassed to admit you have to sometimes. ;)

I see a lot of posts in which the poster says "I can't find it in the regs...." and it turns out that all s/he knows about them is in Part 61 or 91. An FAA ops inspector once gave me a list of about twenty agencies with regulations that apply to pilots, from the FCC to the Bureau of Land Management with lots in between (and I've lost the list). Just limiting yourself to the FARs, you should at least be familiar with the provisions of Part 67 (medical) and Part 43 (maintenance).

Bob Gardner

Why the hell would you read such dribble....?

If you are studying for the test and want a GREAT grade 90+.....then....

Purchase a question and answer book. Read the question and ONLY Highlight only the correct answer. When you finish all the questions go back and read the questions and only read the correct answer. Do this for 3 days, each day before the written test. You will pass with a 90+....Worked for me!!

BLECCH!!!!

Study Gleim. Do the tests. Study Gleim. Then do one or two Sporty's online tests for a week and you'll get a 95. I GUARANTEEE it.

We just discussed that last fall in this thread, and here's what I wrote there:

Don't read ALL of part 61 & 91. For instance, a large portion of part 61 relates to commercial, ATP, and other certificates.

If something doesn't apply to you, don't bother reading the whole reg.

You can also skip:
61.65 through 61.77 except 61.69 (You may get a question as to whether you can tow gliders without further training, for example)
61.96 to 61.101 (Recreational Pilots)
61.121 on up (Commercial pilots, ATP's, CFI's, etc.)

91.167 through 91.193 (IFR)
91.501 on up (jets, fractional ownership, etc.)

Also, study for the test, but don't study ONLY for the test. The knowledge is the most important thing. You do need to know how the test is written, though, I do find that the questions and answers are sometimes confusing even if you do know the source material. However, studying strictly for the test and not understanding what's behind the questions will almost certainly lead to failure on the oral portion of your checkride plus further consequences in the real world, up to and including death. So don't study JUST for the test. :no:

Last edited:
You'll know what to skip snag, I've read quit a bit from the FAR/AIM book.:redface: It is dribble, but what else to read between AOPA Flight Training mags while "drop'n the kids off at the pool".:D

Wouldn't hurt to get the Jeppesen PPL FAA airman knowledge test guide on sporty's. I've been reading that while "take'n the browns to the superbowl".

At least know where you can find the info if asked by the DE.

Just my opinion.

I also agree w/Kent. We need to know this, don't be like the public schools...teach to test. If you know it then it will be easy.

Last edited:
I didn't read the FARs at all for my PP check ride, but I wouldn't recommend you doing the same procedure. In my ASA FAR/AIM it has the recommended sections for PP, so read those. That will be more useful for the oral than anything.

For the written exam, though, reading the FARs is not as helpful as getting the Gleim software and answering all the questions on it repeatedly. Do so, and you'll be about guaranteed a good grade.

I studied using the free mypilottests.com site and did fine (90%). I also used the reverse strategy of doing the regulations test open book a few times and having that tell me. Have fun!

Another thing to remember is that "regulations" shouldn't really be a unit in itself for studying for the Private. Most regulations relate to other areas - Airspace, for example. I think they'd be digested a little easier if you study them that way. When you're studying airspace classifications, that's the time to look up the regulations that relate to airspace. If you try to just read all the regs, you'll forget 2/3 of them by the time you're done.

I also agree that the website exams4pilots was a great help...you begin to see the same themes repeated over and over again...just get used to the format and you will see the same diagrams, graphs and sectionals from the actual online exam. But be careful because the questions are not really well written and are ambiguous. I laughed when I took the computer based exam because on it were 2 seaplane questions which were totally unexpected!!! My CFI was pretty surprised by that as well. Good Luck!

Back